A Christian is ...?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

A Christian is ...?

Post by Veritas Aequitas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 am

As inferred from the Gospels,

A Christian is a person who;
  • 1. Accepts and believes in Jesus as son of God and his teachings [John 3:16, etc.],

2. is Baptized accordingly,

3. Surrender to God via Jesus as Son of God,

4. Entered into a personal contract [covenant] to establish a personal relationship with God and to comply with God's words in the Gospels to the best of his/her ability.
I believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ [reported by the 4 apostles] is the sole authority of Christianity. The Acts & Epistles plus relevant verses from the OT are merely supporting documents and texts.

What is critical here is the personal contract [covenant] and thus the Christian is duty bound to comply with whatever is commanded by Jesus/God in the Gospel.

The typical definition of a Christian do not emphasize the inherent personal contract/covenant a Christian has 'signed' with Jesus/God, e.g.
  • Christians are people who follow or adhere to Christianity, a monotheistic Abrahamic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
    -wiki
Why is the above definition that is grounded on personal contract with Jesus/God critical to a Christian?

As we have read, many of the posters here will resort to 'whataboutery' whenever I mentioned the terrible carnage, evil and violent acts committed by SOME evil prone Muslim directly in accordance to the command of Allah, i.e. Islam. The point is we must critique Islam per se for such terrible evil and violent acts.
But their usual impulsive deflection is 'What about Christians who killed many in the Crusades, etc.?" What about America which comprised of a majority of Christians?

For Christians, the best defense is;
We Christians has entered into a personal contract with Jesus/God thus has to comply with the terms of the contract within the Gospel with an overriding term/maxim 'to love all - even enemies'.
As such there is no way a Christian [as defined above] who is compliant to the terms of his personal contract with God can commit evil and violent within Christianity.

Therefore 'Christians' who commit evil or kill non-Christians or others could not have done such in wearing the Christianity hat, since there are no provisions with Christianity's terms of contract to kill, hate or be violent to non-Christians.

Those 'Christians' who commit evil or kill non-Christians or others would have done based on their own personal human nature of evil and not based on any tenets of Christianity.

Views?

Sculptor

Re: A Christian is ...?

Post by Sculptor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 am

Veritas Aequitas wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 am
The Gospels have no concept of "christian" in any sense.

• 1. Accepts and believes in Jesus as son of God and his teachings [John 3:16, etc.],
Not necessarily. One reading of the Gospels says he was a mortal man

Nope. not a necessary ritual

Are these all Necessary?

4. Entered into a personal contract [covenant] to establish a personal relationship with God and to comply with God's words in the Gospels to the best of his/her ability.[/list]

I believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ [reported by the 4 apostles] is the sole authority of Christianity. The Acts & Epistles plus relevant verses from the OT are merely supporting documents and texts.
It's a shame they did not get their story right, eh?
There are numerous contradictions.

What is critical here is the personal contract [covenant] and thus the Christian is duty bound to comply with whatever is commanded by Jesus/God in the Gospel.

The typical definition of a Christian do not emphasize the inherent personal contract/covenant a Christian has 'signed' with Jesus/God, e.g.
  • Christians are people who follow or adhere to Christianity, a monotheistic Abrahamic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
    -wiki
Why is the above definition that is grounded on personal contract with Jesus/God critical to a Christian?

As we have read, many of the posters here will resort to 'whataboutery' whenever I mentioned the terrible carnage, evil and violent acts committed by SOME evil prone Muslim directly in accordance to the command of Allah, i.e. Islam. The point is we must critique Islam per se for such terrible evil and violent acts.
But their usual impulsive deflection is 'What about Christians who killed many in the Crusades, etc.?" What about America which comprised of a majority of Christians?

We Christians has entered into a personal contract with Jesus/God thus has to comply with the terms of the contract within the Gospel with an overriding term/maxim 'to love all - even enemies'.
As such there is no way a Christian [as defined above] who is compliant to the terms of his personal contract with God can commit evil and violent within Christianity.

Therefore 'Christians' who commit evil or kill non-Christians or others could not have done such in wearing the Christianity hat, since there are no provisions with Christianity's terms of contract to kill, hate or be violent to non-Christians.

Those 'Christians' who commit evil or kill non-Christians or others would have done based on their own personal human nature of evil and not based on any tenets of Christianity.

Views?
Who cares.
Christianity is dying, and rightly so.

Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Veritas Aequitas wrote:

4. Entered into a personal contract [covenant] to establish a personal relationship with God and to comply with God's words in the Gospels to the best of his/her ability.

-wiki

Views?
What about communist atheism?

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Just want to say, I do also like this term 'whataboutery' :D

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Veritas Aequitas wrote:

Views?
Agreed.

Much bollocks hath been done in pretence of being 'Christian.'

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Ok. So fuck it. I'll state what to me being Christian is.

The stuff Christ purportedly said...I agree with in my own being.

I LIKE having someone worthy to kneel to - ...and I as many have, suffered in this thing called 'life'.

When I step in to a church - I don't FEEL a systematic paedophilia organisation.

I feel like a knight about to kneel to someone more worthy of me. (yes I hate it when priests are around)

God put me through tests where I suffered immensely, but I always come back to ...fuck you did THAT.

This thing of existence is way beyond the comprehension of bricks and mortar - atoms and quarks, God IS the LIGHT...it's everything. ALL existence, and from what it made me experience on two days of reckoning - I think IT suffered more than the physical Christ to form our reality.

Ok. So that's my spin of it.

..ah yes, my sage told me - in 1997 crying is how we show our love. I add:- If you have never cried for Christ, well, you don't really under-stand.

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 pm

As I understand it a Christian is a person who lives in accordance with the precepts of Christ. There are three basic steps to becoming a Christian. The first is the desire to become Christian. This is done with the mind. Soon a person discovers that the body doesn't want to be Christian so the second step are efforts made to become master of oneself in order to become Christian. These people are in the majority and are known as pre-Christians. Once a person becomes able to be Christian then they can become Christian and live in accordance with the precepts of Christ. Those with no interest in Christianity even in the mind are non-Christians. Obviously then there are many non-Christians and pre-Christians in the world but very few Christians

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:25 am

imitators of christ need to comeback from the dead after being crucified...

-Imp

Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:29 am

attofishpi wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:13 pm
Just want to say, I do also like this term 'whataboutery' :D
Perhaps 'whataboutism' could be more appropriate.

Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:02 am

Sculptor wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote:

Are these all Necessary?

4. Entered into a personal contract [covenant] to establish a personal relationship with God and to comply with God's words in the Gospels to the best of his/her ability.[/list]

Views?
Who cares.
The Gospel was directly associated with Jesus Christ, thus those who adopted the ideology from the said Gospel would be appropriately called 'Christians'.

In speaking of 'Christian' we are deliberating that from the Christian's perspective, thus to a Christian, Jesus according to the Gospel is the son of God.
In John 3:16 God made the offer of an eternal life if a person believe in Jesus as son of God.
When the person accept the 'offer' in John 3:16, the principles of a Contract is invoked and activated thus a contract is implied.

It is noted 90% Christians go through some form of baptism directly while the others indirectly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism
Note the lists of Christians denominations [90%] who practice baptism.

Once a person has entered into a contract with God/Jesus, 'surrendered' is implied.

Who cares?
To a Christian the above are critical especially to counter 'whataboutism' when others accused Christianity itself [inspiring Christians] of being evil and violent as you had spouted in the Islamophobe thread.

Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:11 am

attofishpi wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:00 pm
Ok. So fuck it. I'll state what to me being Christian is.

The stuff Christ purportedly said...I agree with in my own being.

I LIKE having someone worthy to kneel to - ...and I as many have, suffered in this thing called 'life'.

When I step in to a church - I don't FEEL a systematic paedophilia organisation.

I feel like a knight about to kneel to someone more worthy of me. (yes I hate it when priests are around)

God put me through tests where I suffered immensely, but I always come back to ...fuck you did THAT.

This thing of existence is way beyond the comprehension of bricks and mortar - atoms and quarks, God IS the LIGHT...it's everything. ALL existence, and from what it made me experience on two days of reckoning - I think IT suffered more than the physical Christ to form our reality.

Ok. So that's my spin of it.

..ah yes, my sage told me - in 1997 crying is how we show our love. I add:- If you have never cried for Christ, well, you don't really under-stand.
The central key in the Gospel and being a Christian is leveraged on of an offer of God/Jesus John 3:16.
The central focus of a Christian is salvation and eternal life in heaven, thus when a person has accepted the offer by God/Jesus, there is an implied personal contract between God and the person via Jesus Christ.
Once the contracts is "signed" the Christian is thus obliged to obey all the commands of God/Jesus as in the Gospel.

Those who had not signed a contract with God via Jesus Christian is not a Christian.
One may adopt Jesus Christ as a model in living one's life without accepting the offer of John 3:16, in this case the person is not a Christian-proper, rather s/he is a pseudo-Christian.
The essence of a Christian-proper is a DIVINE personal contract and personal relation with God/Jesus.

Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:28 am

Nick_A wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 pm
As I understand it a Christian is a person who lives in accordance with the precepts of Christ. There are three basic steps to becoming a Christian.
The first is the desire to become Christian. This is done with the mind.
Soon a person discovers that the body doesn't want to be Christian so the second step are efforts made to become master of oneself in order to become Christian. These people are in the majority and are known as pre-Christians. Once a person becomes able to be Christian then they can become Christian and live in accordance with the precepts of Christ. Those with no interest in Christianity even in the mind are non-Christians. Obviously then there are many non-Christians and pre-Christians in the world but very few Christians
Why beat around the bush when what I had stated in the OP is so objective.

Yes, the first is the desire to be a Christian which must be followed with the acceptance of of God/Jesus' offer in John 3:16.
Generally this acceptance is initiated via baptism in mind and rituals.
What is critical here is the personal contract to establish a personal relationship with God/Jesus thus to adhere [to the best of one's ability] to all commands/precepts of God/Jesus as in the Gospel.

For those who are not familiar with the Principles of the Law of Contract;
  • Critical Elements of a Contract;
    In order for a contract to be formed, the parties must reach mutual assent (also called a meeting of the minds). This is typically reached through offer and an acceptance.
    An offer is a definite statement of the offeror's willingness to be bound should certain conditions be met.
Note what is critical is the Divine Personal Contract [covenant].

In the secular, we have courts to decide on matters of contracts.
In the case of divine contract, the omnipotent God is the court, jury, judge, prosecutor and executor.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:53 am

Veritas Aequitas wrote:

Views?
The truth is there is no such ENTITY as a Christian except in this CONception.
In this CONception LIES the story of I-I has now become a 'me' beLIEved.
Humans are addicted to this superficial Persona that was faslely imposed upon them by their parents. That's when all the trouble started, for now it's all about the story of 'me'...whatabout 'me' 'me' 'me' is all ONE hears...

You are a Christian because you were born in a Christian home. Drop Christianity, drop that which has been given to you by the society, by birth, by association, by culture, by country. Drop all that so that you can and find out who you really are. These things will be taken away by death, death will burn your Persona. When you look at your real faceless face and come face to face with your Being you will not even be able to recognise it, because you never knew that this was your face.

ALWAYS Be yourself the REAL fictional character.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 am

Impenitent wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:25 am
imitators of christ need to comeback from the dead after being crucified...

-Imp
Very good point. :D

Everything that we go on doing on the surface will be just like changing a name. Inside you will remain the same. Your imitator can never become more than skin deep, your identity which is nothing more than your knowledge is nothing but a Persona, a mask upon the naked. The original face, is the face that you had before you were born. Now you have a false face,and if you think it is yours,you are in a very bad shape. In other words an imitator does not exist. Only ignorance is original. Eating from the tree of knowledge is the original sin, the fall from grace.

Sculptor

Post by Sculptor » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Veritas Aequitas wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:02 am
Sculptor wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote:

Are these all Necessary?

Views?
Who cares.
The Gospel was directly associated with Jesus Christ, thus those who adopted the ideology from the said Gospel would be appropriately called 'Christians'.

In speaking of 'Christian' we are deliberating that from the Christian's perspective, thus to a Christian, Jesus according to the Gospel is the son of God.
In John 3:16 God made the offer of an eternal life if a person believe in Jesus as son of God.
When the person accept the 'offer' in John 3:16, the principles of a Contract is invoked and activated thus a contract is implied.

It is noted 90% Christians go through some form of baptism directly while the others indirectly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptism
Note the lists of Christians denominations [90%] who practice baptism.

Once a person has entered into a contract with God/Jesus, 'surrendered' is implied.

Who cares?
To a Christian the above are critical especially to counter 'whataboutism' when others accused Christianity itself [inspiring Christians] of being evil and violent as you had spouted in the Islamophobe thread.