So what's not to like

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: So what's not to like

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:23 pm Lacewing
My response was based on what has been written about him in the Bible. Apparently he felt that his Father deserted him -- he asked "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" And apparently he also begged his god to not go through with the plan that would result in his death.
A good example of the inability of the secular to understand the sacred and why esoteric Christianity must be an oral tradition in order to retain its value..
Even as an oral tradition, it's archaic and foolish. As are your self-servingly distorted proclamations about "the sacred" which you are incapable of seeing in ALL, because you must define it selectively in order to use it as a weapon to fight against your delusions about there being a great beast other than yourself.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

uwot wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:18 pm
David Smudge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:41 pm Jesus _ So what's not to like?
Original sin. The idea that babies are guilty, just for being born, and have to surrender their critical faculties the moment they acquire them, to be pardoned for what someone who listened to a talking snake did. The punishment for not doing so being eternal torture. That your weaknesses can be absolved by the torture and murder of another human being. In short, Christianity.
Well when you put it like that, it doesn't sound very likeable at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:50 pm
David Smudge wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:41 pm Jesus _ So what's not to like?
"Like"? Was His concern ever to make Himself merely "likeable"? "Unobjectionable," maybe? A matter of neutrality and indifference, perhaps? :shock:

Hardly that!
Nobody said they were talking about Jesus' concern. As usual, you must twist things in order to have anything to say because distortion and dishonesty are apparently the only way you know how to roll.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:07 pm Nobody said they were talking about Jesus' concern.
The question, Lace, is what response is appropriate, given the subject matter.

Asking someone whether the "like" Jesus Christ is like asking someone whether or not they "find it somewhat pleasant" to find out they don't have terminal cancer, "are mildly gratified" by meeting their soulmate, or "vaguely appreciate" not being dismembered: the reaction proposed in all cases is manifestly entirely insufficient to the subject matter.

That's the real point.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:31 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:07 pm Nobody said they were talking about Jesus' concern.
The question, Lace, is what response is appropriate, given the subject matter.
Seriously... what drives you to think the way you do? Is it a particular kind of madness... a known mental disorder... or something you're completely intoxicated by, but have no clue of? Your entanglement of every communication must be more than any kind of cultural difference. You appear to fancy yourself as a particularly good and clever theist (none of which you actually demonstrate), while you bask in delusions of proclaiming accurate conclusions about things that you have no real awareness of. Do you actually convince yourself of what you say, or do you just like thinking that you convince others?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:17 pm Seriously... what drives you to think the way you do?
Yeah, okay...my bad. I tried to engage rationally. Once again, nothing but ad hominems and other irrelevant clucking and fluffing.

Have a nice life.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:30 pm Yeah, okay...my bad. I tried to engage rationally.
"Rationally" for a dishonest theist madman with delusions of grandeur? Good job!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:35 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:21 am
Lacewing wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:36 pm Believing in a god who was not really there for him
Or he could have been believing in a personified separate presence that was not really there.

There was never any sacrifice since being present was all that could be known to be just a dream anyway, and so any fear of death would have been totally diminished.
My response was based on what has been written about him in the Bible. Apparently he felt that his Father deserted him -- he asked "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" And apparently he also begged his god to not go through with the plan that would result in his death.
Yes you are right, that's what was written in the script written by the mind that knows itself as a human.. :wink:

I wonder if Jesus and his so called sacrifice ever actually happened or was it all just a story, a dream dreamt by no one.

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:45 am I wonder if Jesus and his so called sacrifice ever actually happened or was it all just a story
Me too. I can see how the stories could be based on a real person, since they were written by different people who gave similar accounts. Apparently, it was regular practice at that time to nail and hang rebels and troublemakers on gates and posts to make an example of them. It's understandable how his devoted followers would glorify his death and make him immortal, all within the larger story of their belief of a god, and Jesus as their beloved leader.

Look at how many Christians today hold up and glorify leaders -- "seeing"/imagining only what they want to see (what serves their stories) despite so much to the contrary that is right in front of them which they refuse to acknowledge. It is a relentlessly controlling state of mind -- which seems to show one extreme to which humans can create and go. Many appear to be profoundly intoxicated and rigid from it -- especially when they cannot even consider or acknowledge other/broader truths, which should be completely obvious/visible to anyone. Fascinating what humans can and will do.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

DaM
I wonder if Jesus and his so called sacrifice ever actually happened or was it all just a story, a dream dreamt by no one.
A good idea but the wrong deity. It makes sense though with these minor corrections.

I wonder if Lord Obama and his so called progressive agenda ever actually had any merit or was it all just a story, a dream dreamt by no one.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:20 pm DaM
A good idea but the wrong deity. It makes sense though with these minor corrections.

I wonder if Lord Obama and his so called progressive agenda ever actually had any merit or was it all just a story, a dream dreamt by no one.
When you are rendered impotent by a Republican Senate you might as well dream.
But one thing is for sure, the reputation of the USA rocketed throughout the world during his time. In fact it rocketed upwards just as much as it has crashed and burned with the election of that moron Trump, where the reputation of the USA is at an all time low. Lower even that Nixon under the Watergate scandal.
America has never looked quite so stupid.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:13 pm

When you are rendered impotent by a Republican Senate you might as well dream.
But one thing is for sure, the reputation of the USA rocketed throughout the world during his time. In fact it rocketed upwards just as much as it has crashed and burned with the election of that moron Trump, where the reputation of the USA is at an all time low. Lower even that Nixon under the Watergate scandal.
America has never looked quite so stupid.
American's reputation rocketed upwards with Obama and the psychopathic uberbitch Hillary? Is that a joke?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

We're talking about Jesus, you jackoff! Your childish redirections and distortions are so pathetic. You're more obsessed with Obama than anyone here. And you're the only one who even suggests some kind of lordship status. Is there no limit to your mental issues?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:55 pm

We're talking about Jesus, you jackoff! Your childish redirections and distortions are so pathetic. You're more obsessed with Obama than anyone here. And you're the only one who even suggests some kind of lordship status. Is there no limit to your mental issues?
Now that's more like it. I was afraid for a while that I was losing my reputation to IC and coming in second. Now I see my reputation is intact
"The secret of the demagogue is to make himself as stupid as his audience so they believe they are clever as he." Karl Kraus
You have no concept of the difference between the Christ and the anti-Christ as the ultimate demagogue. Don't feel bad. You have become the norm in progressive society and who doesn't want to be normal.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 am
"The secret of the demagogue is to make himself as stupid as his audience so they believe they are clever as he." Karl Kraus
So now we're talking about Trump? Can you please just get off of politics?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 am You have no concept of the difference between the Christ and the anti-Christ as the ultimate demagogue.
You don't know what I have a concept of. You constantly make up crap and spew it everywhere with complete irresponsibility. You have no credibility, Nick. So you should just stick to having light-hearted fun... because you don't know anything and you sound stupid when you claim that you do.