"Free will was given to man by god."

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: "If someone believes there is a God, then he/she is compelled to obey in fear of punishment."

Post by Immanuel Can » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:02 pm

henry quirk wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:53 pm
I'm a deist. My god has issued no marching orders, so there's nuthin' for me to obey, and no deific punishment to fear.

There, some tobacco for you to put in your pipe.
Don't tell AV. She'll have a fit. :wink:

henry quirk

Re: "If someone believes there is a God, then he/she is compelled to obey in fear of punishment."

Post by henry quirk » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Immanuel Can wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:02 pm
henry quirk wrote:
I'm a deist. My god has issued no marching orders, so there's nuthin' for me to obey, and no deific punishment to fear.

She can seize up as she likes: I don't care ('oh, henry, the death fear has you by the testicles!') :thumbsdown:

BardoXV

Post by BardoXV » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Immanuel Can wrote:
henry quirk wrote:

AV believes and posts a lot of things that most people don't really think about.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:54 pm

BardoXV wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:48 pm
Immanuel Can wrote:
henry quirk wrote:

AV believes and posts a lot of things that most people don't really think about.
There are good reasons why they "don't really think" about them. She's wrong...obviously, verifiably, repeatedly, wrong by personal account and by statistics, wrong in every reasonable metric, really -- but disinclined to recognize it. And on the issue of fear being the primary motive, she obviously is so possessed by her belief that she can't be talked out of it with any facts at all.

So at that point, there is really not much to be "thought about." She has nothing new, nothing credible, and nothing remotely plausible to offer that has not been debunked already. She's circling the drain, hanging on to her theory.

BardoXV

Re: "Free will was given to man by god."

Post by BardoXV » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:06 am

So AV is the same as a YEC and a flat Earther combined.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 pm

BardoXV wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:06 am
So AV is the same as a YEC and a flat Earther combined.
Well, in regard to her "fear" theory, she's utterly unshakeable in her belief, despite abundant evidence to the contrary. So I guess so.

gaffo

Post by gaffo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:29 am

Immanuel Can wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Justintruth wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:34 pm
A mind will be eliminated by destroying your brain or otherwise causing it not to function.
Immanuel Can wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:58 pm
A brain will be a lump of meat, without a mind. It will not function either.
Indeed.

------but your Religion lacks interest/comentary on non-humans.

do cats/dogs/worms with brains.......have minds (or spirits/souls).

they lack understanding in this life to accept your Christ for Salvation. so their fate is??????????????? (this is where your Faith lacks perspective, and Hinduism/Buddism may not (noting animal life/souls).

they lack a soul? they are just moving plants?

asking you as an Atheist to a christian.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 am

gaffo wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:29 am
I have no idea what the constitution of animals is, save that they are distinct from human beings, not being the subject of a separate creative act, and are not said to be at all in "the image of God." There is no talk of "animal sin" or of "animal salvation." There's never any mention of animals having either "soul" or "spirit." However, there is Biblical language about the larger creation, the whole Earth, around human beings being "redeemed" when human beings are.

What does that entail? I have no precise way of knowing, save that it's good.

Belinda

Post by Belinda » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Immanuel Can wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 am
gaffo wrote:
I have no idea what the constitution of animals is, save that they are distinct from human beings, not being the subject of a separate creative act, and are not said to be at all in "the image of God." There is no talk of "animal sin" or of "animal salvation." There's never any mention of animals having either "soul" or "spirit." However, there is Biblical language about the larger creation, the whole Earth, around human beings being "redeemed" when human beings are.

Descartes who believed minds were separate things from brains also believed animals other than men lacked minds and were automata. This belief although it accorded with Christianity was responsible for men having no guilt about cruelty to animals.

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:47 am

Belinda wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 pm
This belief although it accorded with Christianity...
No, it did not. Christianity holds that the natural world does not belong to man, but is held in stewardship by mankind, and mankind is accountable for managing it well or abusing it. Genesis 1.

Dubious

Post by Dubious » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:48 am

...which goes to show even god can screw up! But what the hell, since we invented it we can claim certain prerogatives.

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:04 am

Dubious wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:48 am
...which goes to show even god can screw up! But what the hell, since we invented it we can claim certain prerogatives.
Yeah, free will was a big mistake. He shoulda stuck to bio-robots.

Post by Age » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:16 am

Immanuel Can wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:41 am
gaffo wrote:

If human beings are not animals, then what are they?

Post by Age » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 am

Immanuel Can wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:47 am
Belinda wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:43 pm
This belief although it accorded with Christianity...
No, it did not. Christianity holds that the natural world does not belong to man, but is held in stewardship by mankind, and mankind is accountable for managing it well or abusing it. Genesis 1.
Well humankind at the moment when this is written has OBVIOUSLY failed in their stewardship duties.

And, being 'accountable' for the abuse they do, is being returned back on to them.

Post by Age » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:20 am

Dubious wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:48 am
How did God supposedly "screw up"?

Human beings have FREE WILL, so that what WILL HAPPEN, comes about the way that IT WILL.