Who has more control of our thinking; God or Satan?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: Who has more control of our thinking; God or Satan?

Post by HexHammer »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:08 pmI agree that theists who are stuck in the supernatural are sick.
You are not very bright because?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

HexHammer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:33 am
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:08 pmI agree that theists who are stuck in the supernatural are sick.
You are not very bright because?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Says the mental midget.

Regards
DL
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

What if God and Satan are one and the same? The only difference being how humans interpret and explain variances in energetic quality (for their own purposes). Humans define what is "good" and "bad", and establish figureheads lording over those categories, which they (the humans) can then align themselves or others with. Like a personal power trip or safety net... it serves humans. Nobody/nothing else cares.

Don't we all embody positive and negative attributes? Doesn't everything in nature create and destroy? Who defines which of those is good and bad? Why would there be a god who is "good" and a "devil" who is bad? In a human conflict, who decides which sides a god and devil are on?

It all sounds like primitive thinking, doesn't it?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Well said Lacewing! ...Jesus, did i just say that? :D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:03 pm Well said Lacewing! ...Jesus, did i just say that? :D
It's okay -- once in a while we are sure to agree or like something about each other. We aren't locked into making a habit of it though. :twisted:

If God and Satan are the same... might good and bad likewise be the same?
Greta

Post by Greta »

I'm thinking that we have two possibilities to ease away from Iron Age language:

1. God might be order and Satan, chaos.

However, since total order is stasis and, as far as we're concerned, stasis is not all that great, then.

2. God is a productive balance of order and chaos while Satan is imbalance - the extremes, being too wild or too controlled.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 am I'm thinking that we have two possibilities to ease away from Iron Age language:

However, since total order is stasis and, as far as we're concerned, stasis is not all that great, then.

2. God is a productive balance of order and chaos while Satan is imbalance - the extremes, being too wild or too controlled.
The only argument I would have is stating 'satan' as if it is a separate entity. I can only speak of my experience of 'God' and I know it irks some people, but from what I have experienced, God is NOT all benevolent (as priests make out).
It has tested me in many ways, horrible ways to say the least, but it always had its reason - where I crossed a certain line - the test was working out where the line was drawn - what was ITS reason.
Twice I have be forced to feel the chaos, perhaps where it emanated from, and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Satan? - just 'its' - 'Gods' warning in a way we may comprehend, but no, in my 22 years of experiencing the evil side of God, there was never any reason for me to believe there is a separate entity.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 am I can only speak of my experience of 'God' and I know it irks some people, but from what I have experienced, God is NOT all benevolent (as priests make out).
Might the experiences/ideas of "god(s)" be the "tapping into" and projection of the potential/extent of ones psychic and spirited reach? A natural energetic extension of ourselves individually and collectively with others? No other entity with an agenda. No other entity with desire or judgment. Such attributes/ideas are of humans.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:42 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 am I can only speak of my experience of 'God' and I know it irks some people, but from what I have experienced, God is NOT all benevolent (as priests make out).
Might the experiences/ideas of "god(s)" be the "tapping into" and projection of the potential/extent of ones psychic and spirited reach? A natural energetic extension of ourselves individually and collectively with others? No other entity with an agenda. No other entity with desire or judgment. Such attributes/ideas are of humans.
No, my reasoning from the experiences allow me to ONLY comprehend that there is a 3rd party intelligence that constructs, in real time, our reality.
One does not need to call it 'God'..i do.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:36 pm What if God and Satan are one and the same? The only difference being how humans interpret and explain variances in energetic quality (for their own purposes). Humans define what is "good" and "bad", and establish figureheads lording over those categories, which they (the humans) can then align themselves or others with. Like a personal power trip or safety net... it serves humans. Nobody/nothing else cares.

Don't we all embody positive and negative attributes? Doesn't everything in nature create and destroy? Who defines which of those is good and bad? Why would there be a god who is "good" and a "devil" who is bad? In a human conflict, who decides which sides a god and devil are on?

It all sounds like primitive thinking, doesn't it?
It does indeed.

We have no argument as we are on the same basic page. You are correct that all the god and evil are designated so in human minds.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 am I'm thinking that we have two possibilities to ease away from Iron Age language:

I can appreciate your thinking here.

To the religious, you are pointing out why they sing of Adam's sin being a happy fault and necessary to gods plan as sin produces law and the balance/security we all instinctively crave.

Regards
DL
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 pm Says the mental midget.
Then why do you always ask silly self explanatory questions? A sure sign of being mentally challenged!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:57 pm

I can appreciate your thinking here.

To the religious, you are pointing out why they sing of Adam's sin being a happy fault and necessary to gods plan as sin produces law and the balance/security we all instinctively crave.
Ideally, the religious would question whether the gaining of knowledge is a sin. They might consider that in Adam and Eve the ancients were simply creating an allegory for the powers of humanity beyond that of other animals, and the price we pay for that awareness in suffering.

Question: were Adam and Eve Homo sapiens or an earlier hominid line like the Australopithecus - the latter logically would have already had basic human awareness and suffering because they adorned the graves of their dead.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greatest I am wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:55 pm Can Christians clear up this contradiction?
Easily. With their hand tied behind their back. "Every Christian lion-hearted man will show you."

The problem is that their explanation does not cut the mustard outside of Christian circles.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:59 pm
Ideally, the religious would question whether the gaining of knowledge is a sin. They might consider that in Adam and Eve the ancients were simply creating an allegory for the powers of humanity beyond that of other animals, and the price we pay for that awareness in suffering.

Question: were Adam and Eve Homo sapiens or an earlier hominid line like the Australopithecus - the latter logically would have already had basic human awareness and suffering because they adorned the graves of their dead.
We just don't know the religious. Whatever god says, can't be questioned. For the bulk of Christianity, you'd be burnt at the stakes for voicing this.

I am not sure if Adam and Eve adorned the graves of their dead. 1. The Bible does not say so. 2. There is no archaeological evidence of it. 3. They had no dead; these two were the first two dead. Therefore, since the criteria can't be proven to apply to them, they were very likely inhuman. The two may have been trilobites, or else the first two Gonococcus Bacteria, who grew bigger and bigger in the word-of-mouth legends of creation, and by the time they were written down, they were human-sized. God only knows.