Who has more control of our thinking; God or Satan?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Who has more control of our thinking; God or Satan?

Post by Greta »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:45 pm
Greta wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:38 am
Greatest I am wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 pm

What is Original Sin if not ignoring a stupid command to not gain the knowledge of all things?

Regards
DL
According to some simple people a few thousand years ago. As I say, I think Original Sin is an analogy for human capacities that, not only bring us empowerment, but also suffering.

The way I see it, the ancients couldn't help but notice that they operated differently to other species. Various societies down the ages have had their own ideas as to the differences and similarities.
I see very little difference between other animals and human animals.

What do you see, other than our intelligence, that is so different?

We mostly have the same traits as the other higher forms of life.

Regards
DL
Generally I'd agree that humans are very, very similar to other species, despite what the divinity crowd claims.

However, humans can sense the passing of time much more clearly than any other species. This extra capacity has allowed us to dominate the Earth but it has an emotional cost in terms of being haunted by the past or fearful of the future, adding complexity to every aspect of our lives. This is the cost being spoken about in Eden by the ancients.

It is remarkable in this day and age, knowing what we now know, that so many people believe the Adam and Eve story to be a genuine literal account, talking snake and all. How people can be so massively, incredibly dumb as to literally believe these myths remains a mystery to me. The widespread existence of such extreme mindless stupidity makes a strong case against open democracy, a system that can only prosper when most of the population is not as dumb as a fucking rock :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 pmThe widespread existence of such extreme mindless stupidity makes a strong case against open democracy, a system that can only prosper when most of the population is not as dumb as a fucking rock :)
...and owned by the NRA.

How to sell a massacre Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYyX7O02yOg
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Greatest I am wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:51 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:55 am
climate change will offer lands now too cold and dry for crops to be warm and wet, while lands now wet and warm will become too dry for crops.

so with the good come the bad and vise versa.

canada will be looking pretty and warm in 2200.
For sure and a good thing too as, being the frontier, we will play an important role for the world displaced.

If we play our cards right.

Regards
DL
Oh great! Does that mean an endless number of disaster refugees forcing themselves into the promised land?...for a short time at least as even northern countries keep getting hotter.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 pm
Greta wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:38 am
According to some simple people a few thousand years ago. As I say, I think Original Sin is an analogy for human capacities that, not only bring us empowerment, but also suffering.

The way I see it, the ancients couldn't help but notice that they operated differently to other species. Various societies down the ages have had their own ideas as to the differences and similarities.

Regards
DL
Generally I'd agree that humans are very, very similar to other species, despite what the divinity crowd claims.

However, humans can sense the passing of time much more clearly than any other species. This extra capacity has allowed us to dominate the Earth but it has an emotional cost in terms of being haunted by the past or fearful of the future, adding complexity to every aspect of our lives. This is the cost being spoken about in Eden by the ancients.

It is remarkable in this day and age, knowing what we now know, that so many people believe the Adam and Eve story to be a genuine literal account, talking snake and all. How people can be so massively, incredibly dumb as to literally believe these myths remains a mystery to me. The widespread existence of such extreme mindless stupidity makes a strong case against open democracy, a system that can only prosper when most of the population is not as dumb as a fucking rock :)
What you see as deficits, I see as benefits.

Intelligence is not what has people ignoring their moral sense.
It is tribalism, which religions use to appease our longing for security and power and fellowship.
Remember that we are the most insecure and weakest animal on the planet.
Those people are a disgrace to humanity.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Dubious wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:33 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:55 am
climate change will offer lands now too cold and dry for crops to be warm and wet, while lands now wet and warm will become too dry for crops.

so with the good come the bad and vise versa.

canada will be looking pretty and warm in 2200.
For sure and a good thing too as, being the frontier, we will play an important role for the world displaced.

Regards
DL
Oh great! Does that mean an endless number of disaster refugees forcing themselves into the promised land?...for a short time at least as even northern countries keep getting hotter.
Basically, yes.
Better to offer them a living than anything negative.

We have the frontier and should use it to help and not to hinder.

Regards
DL
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Regards
DL
Basically, yes.

Regards
DL
That help will be temporary until we ourselves need help due to climate change. And while we have the frontier as you say, do we have the finances to create the infrastructures in support of all the millions who will make the journey? Can it even be controlled.

Your super simplistic version of using the land we still have available to help and not to hinder is totally untenable.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Dubious wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Basically, yes.

Regards
DL
That help will be temporary until we ourselves need help due to climate change. And while we have the frontier as you say, do we have the finances to create the infrastructures in support of all the millions who will make the journey? Can it even be controlled.

Your super simplistic version of using the land we still have available to help and not to hinder is totally untenable.
I see all things as controllable.

What I see is many corn farmers who's crop has a guaranteed buyer, which is a guarantee that the Canadian government has offered to it's present farmers for bio fuels.

If they ever claw that back, then they would be creating a new competitor to their fuel companies and system.

Regards
DL

What I see is money making and not money taking.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Regards
DL

It is tribalism, which religions use to appease our longing for security and power and fellowship.

Regards
DL
We are the dominant mammal and one of the biggest creatures in the world. It's not insecurity as much as sensitivity - instead of armour our basic defence is our awareness of broader circumstances, so that if there's any rending of flesh, we are usually at the comfortable end of the operation.

Religions, like any ideology, are mental binding agents - a means of drawing together powerful forces, which has clearly been naturally selected.

The problem is lack of the capacity to reason logically, to even the simplest level.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 pm
In theory yes, at least a lot of it but have humans ever been that rational or have they instead waited for catastrophes to happen and THEN decide to control it. There's an extreme probability that we'll be responsible for events we can no-longer control precursors of which are already happening.

It's useless to view things as controllable when they aren't being controlled.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:44 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Regards
DL
We are the dominant mammal and one of the biggest creatures in the world. It's not insecurity as much as sensitivity - instead of armour our basic defence is our awareness of broader circumstances, so that if there's any rending of flesh, we are usually at the comfortable end of the operation.

Religions, like any ideology, are mental binding agents - a means of drawing together powerful forces, which has clearly been naturally selected.

The problem is lack of the capacity to reason logically, to even the simplest level.
That is why those who believe B.S. on faith alone are a disgrace to the human race.

Martin Luther called reason a whore and enemy to religion because it was clear thinking.

Martin Luther.
“Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.”
“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.”

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Dubious wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:18 am
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 pm
In theory yes, at least a lot of it but have humans ever been that rational or have they instead waited for catastrophes to happen and THEN decide to control it. There's an extreme probability that we'll be responsible for events we can no-longer control precursors of which are already happening.

It's useless to view things as controllable when they aren't being controlled.
I think it more useless to think we have no control of what we do, as we do it.

Regards
DL
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 pmI see all things as controllable.
Can you control the NRA which owns your government?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYyX7O02yOg&t=1s
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:27 pm
I am a Canadian, but yes, even the NRA is controllable if the people have the political will to make it so.

That or you live in a really slaved nation.

Regards
DL
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greatest I am wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 pm
I am a Canadian, but yes, even the NRA is controllable if the people have the political will to make it so.

Regards
DL
Do you live in the US or Canada?

The US Govt is controlled ultimately by MONEY. Which means, nobody without MONEY can control it. (political will is redundant)
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:50 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 pm

Regards
DL
Do you live in the US or Canada?

The US Govt is controlled ultimately by MONEY. Which means, nobody without MONEY can control it. (political will is redundant)
I agree with your view on you bought government.

I disagree with your last as political will and the people behind it are not redundant. They are the citizens of the country and it is to them to decide just how much poverty they will tolerate as they know that it is immoral for a rich nation to impose poverty onto it's lesser citizens.

I live in Canada. I would live in shame if I was an American.

We are an oligarchy as well but our owners seem to have more intelligence and heart.

Regards
DL