Why is pride a sin?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Why is pride a sin?

Post by henry quirk »

It's not.

Hubris (excessive, unjustified pride) isn't either (but it's damned annoying, and could lead to repeated ass-kicking, so stop doin' that).
gaffo

Re: Why is pride a sin?

Post by gaffo »

philosopher wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm Being proud of an achievement, ie. making a piece of art that you are satisfied with and want to show off to the world, is a sin according to Christianity.

But why is being proud of an achievement so wrong? Why is it negative?

If you have worked hard to get to the top (in any field, being an artist, scientist, businessman or whatever) and you are proud of your achievements, why is this so wrong?

If someone is saying "I am good, but all you others are worthless idiots" thats another matter. But then religion should only target those who speak ill of others, not the actual being proud of an achievement.
Pride is a sin because it is about Ego.

like being Proud to be an Ameican - rather than being grateful.

i.e. one can be grateful to have the brains and grit of will to become the greatest - doctor/engineer/lawyer..............but not Proud about it.

IMO concerning the matter.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:43 pm
All the Seven Deadly Sins focus on the ego and therefore thinking only of yourself not of others
exactly.

thanks!

concur.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

philosopher wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:48 pm
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:43 pm
All the Seven Deadly Sins focus on the ego and therefore thinking only of yourself not of others
False premise.
Being proud of your achievements does not exclude thinking of others as well.

If you worked hard to achieve something which make you proud, it does not exclude you from thinking of the less fortunate.

Therefore, being proud is not the problem. Not thinking of others is the problem, and it has nothing to do with being proud.
wrong Sir. Pride is ego-bad.

Grateful is proper mindset.

those two are not the same - the latter is Humble, and Humility is virtue.

unlike Pride.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:53 pm
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 pm
The Seven Deadly Sins : Envy : Lust : Pride : Sloth : Greed : Anger : Gluttony
Where did you get these seven 'deadly' sins from?
The OP is talking about CHRISTIANITY. The source for Christianity is the Gospels, again cite where pride is considered a SIN according to CHRIST.
Thomas Aquinus i think (not sure - welcome clarifiction from others that know for sure)
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:34 pm
The Seven Deadly Sins : Envy : Lust : Pride : Sloth : Greed : Anger : Gluttony
note sure Anger is a sin - Wrath is (uncontrollable Anger)
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 pm Conclusion: Falls caused by willful ignorance, although necessary when they occur, are a sin.

Not because anyone says so, but because of the way things work, i.e., because of the physics of sin.

Sampson took pride in his strength.

Thus, Sampson sinned.
And Sampson fell, hard.

Intellectually, Sampson knew better than to trust a Philistine.
Sampson trusted Delilah.

Was Sampson a victim, or was he willfully ignorant?

Was Delilah a betrayer, a Philistine operative, or something else?
loves a bitch.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Skip wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:56 pm Because that god wants cowering, simpering, toe-kissing subjects who never question his all-wonderfulness.
in some works of the Bible, not other parts however.

this of course is a reflection upon the nature of the authors of the works in the bible more than the nature of the God they wrote about.

as an athiest i know nothing about the nature of God, but can posit the nature of the authors of the 68? works of the bible.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

duszek wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 pm
The angel Lucifer was very gifted, he challenged God and fell.

only per views of author of The Apocolypse,

more authors - Book of/secrets of Enoch, satan did not challenge God, only had sex with mortal women and polluted the bloodline via the Niphilim - thus God flooded the Earth to remove the population - save Noah and his immediates

Jews of OT times never saw Satan as challenging god, but only serving him by challenging man (refer to book of Job).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 pm ask a lion...

-Imp
pre fall of Adam or post?

animals never sinned, but per Judiac theology (and also Christian (though forgotten theology today) - Adam's Sin infected the animals..................note in Eden prior to the Fall, Lions and sheep both were vegatarians. note Jesus sayings about the Lion lying down with the lamb at the end times (end times will be the restoration of Eden(Kingdom of God))

Carnivores are a product of Adam's sin - infecting the animal kingdom. Animals never sinned (oly Adam did) - but his actions defraded the nature of half of the animals (the carniforious half).

there was a reason (the theology is refer above) the Levites were vegitarians.
Justintruth

Post by Justintruth »

1) It's epistemic. Pride blinds.

When you try to know you must let what is interrogated answer, and independent of what it says, believe it, instead of believing what *you* want out of pride that you "know better". The idea that you know better can come from pride and not from an epistemic foundation.

2) It can be demonic. See Kierkegaard's demonic despair.

"You made me this way! I'll show you!

3) It's impractical

"Better to rule in hell than serve in heaven!" just doesnt work out.
Skip

Post by Skip »

If you prohibit the Ego, you leave the Id and Superego to fight eternally:
one ruling in Heaven the other in Hell and nobody to invent democracy on Earth.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Skip wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:57 pm If you prohibit the Ego, you leave the Id and Superego to fight eternally:
one ruling in Heaven the other in Hell and nobody to invent democracy on Earth.
Tell me more, I'm interested.
Skip

Post by Skip »

gaffo wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 am Tell me more, I'm interested.
I was referring to Freud's description of the human psyche.
There Id is that devilish part of our personality that Christianity strives - and fails - to subdue: a selfish, aggressive, impulsive, impatient, emotional child. When it's in charge, it makes messes and art and love, but it wrecks things and hurts people. When it's suppressed, you have no fun at all.
The Superego is, more or less, God-in-man: conscience, virtue, self-denial, restraint, duty - an arch-conservative patriarch. When it's in charge, nobody has any fun, nothing new is created; there is law and order and conformity. When it's overthrown, there is chaos.
The Ego is the self-aware, autonomous adult who can make judgments and decisions on a practical level. When it's overpowered by one of the other facets, you lose control of your life, either descending into irrationality or submitting to authority.
duszek

Post by duszek »

When you feel proud of something you celebrate your own greatness.

"It´s me who did this. Am I not a wonderful guy ? I am and I love myself for it."

This is dangerous and can lead to a slip in the very near future.

How can I enjoy a personal achievement in a healthy way then ?

Perhaps without discussing the question whose merit it is. Just enjoying the result as such.