How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

Post by Greatest I am »

Not to be a bean counter that ignores the evil that is still with us, but if I look strictly at the statistics for what I call the evil markers, crime, death by violence including war, poverty, poor health and
education; I see them all at the best levels we have ever enjoyed.

This is in spite of the few places where the stats are backsliding, which ironically includes the U.S., a Christian nation; whose
education level is going down, along with its moral sense.

I will let you find whatever stats you might be interested in and will only offer the stats spoken of, at the end of this link.

Richard Dawkins - Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLulcfyqrc0

I see our cup running over in spite of the vile and immoral mainstream religions that we are maintaining, for God only knows why. We can thank all the gods that the religious are not walking their talk and are following more moral ways.

How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full; or overflowing with goodness?

Regards
DL
Veritas Aequitas

Re: How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Re the above, DNA wise all humans are endowed with a faculty of morality with an inherent propensity to progress.

Unfortunately since the advent of humans, I note the collective moral manifestation of this moral faculty has been progressing very slowly like [analogy to] those of stalagmites and stalactites. Re moral wise, humanity is progressing on a very slow net-positive trend, not in any sense of overflowing.

Morality is about 'good' versus 'evil.'
Religious wise, it is noted since the beginning, the the pros of religions - moral aspects - are still outweighing the evils from religions. However within the current trend, the tide is turning toward the cons of religions outweighing their pros.

What is needed for humanity at the present is to be knowledgeable of the principles and mechanics of the inherent moral faculty and expedite its processes and results on a continual improvement basis. This moral expansion will inhibit the evils of religions from increasing further.
The question is HOW? I will not go into details but I am optimistic we can expedite the efficiency of the inherent moral system, its processes and positive results.
Greatest I am

Re: How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

Post by Greatest I am »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:04 am Re the above, DNA wise all humans are endowed with a faculty of morality with an inherent propensity to progress.

Unfortunately since the advent of humans, I note the collective moral manifestation of this moral faculty has been progressing very slowly like [analogy to] those of stalagmites and stalactites. Re moral wise, humanity is progressing on a very slow net-positive trend, not in any sense of overflowing.

Religious wise, it is noted since the beginning, the the pros of religions - moral aspects - are still outweighing the evils from religions. However within the current trend, the tide is turning toward the cons of religions outweighing their pros.

What is needed for humanity at the present is to be knowledgeable of the principles and mechanics of the inherent moral faculty and expedite its processes and results on a continual improvement basis. This moral expansion will inhibit the evils of religions from increasing further.
The question is HOW? I will not go into details but I am optimistic we can expedite the efficiency of the inherent moral system, its processes and positive results.
Nicely thought out.

" Re moral wise, humanity is progressing on a very slow net-positive trend, not in any sense of overflowing."

I think our speed for improvement is connected to the fact that we are the weakest and most insecure animal on the planet and that as the world becomes more secure, the speed will accelerate.

I could not access your link but have seen that research and that fact that we default to doing and being good when young and that is why I think the security issues which make us decide to cooperate instead of compete are key to how long and how often we can choose cooperation over competition.

Regards
DL
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Greatest I am wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:04 am Re the above, DNA wise all humans are endowed with a faculty of morality with an inherent propensity to progress.

Nicely thought out.

" Re moral wise, humanity is progressing on a very slow net-positive trend, not in any sense of overflowing."

I think our speed for improvement is connected to the fact that we are the weakest and most insecure animal on the planet and that as the world becomes more secure, the speed will accelerate.

I could not access your link but have seen that research and that fact that we default to doing and being good when young and that is why I think the security issues which make us decide to cooperate instead of compete are key to how long and how often we can choose cooperation over competition.

Regards
DL
In the above link the experiments were done on babies less than one year old to ensure the results are not due to nurture but rather the moral faculty is inherent within ALL humans, DNA wise.

The above theory is supported by the fact there are mirror neurons in the human brains and there are very less in higher primates but none in other lower animals.
A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another.[1][2][3] Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behavior of the other, as though the observer were itself acting. Such neurons have been directly observed in primate species.
Thus mirror neurons of one would trigger pain neurons within oneself if it is observed or sensed the other person[s] are suffering from pain, sufferings, etc. This is the origin of empathy and to compassion.
Neuroscientists such as Marco Iacoboni (UCLA) have argued that mirror neuron systems in the human brain help us understand the actions and intentions of other people. In a study published in March 2005 Iacoboni and his colleagues reported that mirror neurons could discern whether another person who was picking up a cup of tea planned to drink from it or clear it from the table.[10] In addition, Iacoboni has argued that mirror neurons are the neural basis of the human capacity for emotions such as empathy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron
Obviously the inherent moral faculty of humans are more complex than the above. Thus humanity need to understand more of the moral neural circuit to expedite the moral processes within the average humans.

Fortunately we are on our way with the advances within the Human Connectome Project with its objectives to map all the brain circuits and track to their ultimate functions.
http://www.humanconnectomeproject.org/
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Quite interesting and informative. Many thanks.

Regards
DL