Why Did Jesus Die on The Cross?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Why Did Jesus Die on The Cross?

Post by Gary Childress »

Answer: Because that's where they decided to kill him.
gaffo

Re: Why Did Jesus Die on The Cross?

Post by gaffo »

He opposed ( and was too big to ignore) Rome.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

oh no, above is wrong.

"for the sins of mankind" is why, for John tells me so. (and Saul)

my bad.

lol
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

All of this begs the question, what is the nature of sin? Can any sense be made out of this at all? Yes, there can, but it does not lie with conventional thinking. to give a meaningful answer to the question as to why Jesus died for our sins, whether he did or not, you first have define your terms. So, sin: a transgression against God. And this term God'? More trouble. Best to do what philosophers are wont to do: start where things make sense first (not with things you can't make sense of), and move from there. Begin with, what is there that is wrong with our human Being Here, so to speak? This moves to ethics, for our complaint about the world is an ethical one, and we can for now forget the ontological issues about the existence of God for at first. Ethics, as Levinas said, is first philosophy.
What is the ethical complaint? Simple: Why are we born to suffer and die? Sound familiar? It should. It is what Jesus was in the middle of when he screamed the cry of dereliction: Why has thou forsaken me? Herein lies the justification of the concept of sin; it is the suffering without relief, reason, redemption, and Jesus was at that moment like us,like the thousands of women burned alive suspected of witchcraft, like the countless who are at this moment choking, drowning, screaming in agony. Not to be dramatic about it, but this kind of thing gets entirely overlooked, the poignancy of empathetically assuming vicariously the real pain of the sufferer through graphic description.
We just forget what is going on because we are so busy being good consumers. Kierkegaard understood what it means to look beneath the way things appear to be. It does, however, drive one to drink if you stay fixated on this. Either to drink or to God.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:37 pm Answer: Because that's where they decided to kill him.
If you actually read the passage closely you would know he only hung there for ca 1h and was taken down! .....EVERYBODY else will hang there for least a few months!!!!!!!!!!

It was a scam!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:37 pmWhy Did Jesus Die on The Cross?
I don't believe there is anyone on this forum, or anyone I have ever met, including priests that know the true answer to this (as to why Christ allowed himself to die on the cross) as I do.

1. It takes knowing that God exists.
2. It takes experiencing how 'evil' God can be to an individual over ones indiscretions.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

HexHammer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:52 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:37 pm Answer: Because that's where they decided to kill him.
If you actually read the passage closely you would know he only hung there for ca 1h and was taken down! .....EVERYBODY else will hang there for least a few months!!!!!!!!!!

It was a scam!
If that were the case, then I could almost somehow envision the dialogue between Jesus and the Romans when they took him down: "Super sorry about the holes, dude. I bet that's really painful. Hope they heal." :roll:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:27 am
HexHammer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:52 pm

It was a scam!
If that were the case, then I could almost somehow envision the dialogue between Jesus and the Romans when they took him down: "Super sorry about the holes, dude. I bet that's really painful. Hope they heal." :roll:
Well, he was holy or was it holey?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 pm
I don't believe there is anyone on this forum, or anyone I have ever met, including priests that know the true answer to this (as to why Christ allowed himself to die on the cross) as I do.

2. It takes experiencing how 'evil' God can be to an individual over ones indiscretions.
I posted my views as to why Jesus was killed by the Romans (political threat).

I'm an Atheist myself, but from your post you seem to be a Christian, and have a personal view on the matter.

I'd welcome understanding it - i'm old school atheist - not dick munch new school Dawkins type. Wisdom is only offered via new views not known of prior - you may have such a view and so i may gain wisdom (your God willing).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

"your God" - read from my own post.

seems a blashomy - does a mortal beleiver own/claim their God (vise versa seems the more humble view)

IMO - but i'm a born to burn souless athiest - the last to pontificate upon the nature of man and "his" God and that relationship.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:15 am

I'm an Atheist myself, but from your post you seem to be a Christian, and have a personal view on the matter.

I'd welcome understanding it - i'm old school atheist - not dick munch new school Dawkins type. Wisdom is only offered via new views not known of prior - you may have such a view and so i may gain wisdom (your God willing).
I've posted many times details of my comprehension of this entity - many threads mainly in the Metaphysics area. I appreciate your interest, but I am a little busy at the mo to start another thread on the topic, there is a lot to it as you can understand. FYI. I consider myself a Christian Panentheist.
From my experience I argue from two possible considerations as to the 'nature' of this entity.
1. Divine - it formed its own consciousness from the chaos of early universe
2. It is akin to Artificial Intelligence - a construct of man or other species aeons ago - I don't like the term 'simulation', but prefer, projection in that reality beyond our conscious experience is a construct, projected by this intelligence.
Since, and from communication of a sage that introduced itself to me from the aether re Christ, I sway more to point 1.

I thought you had been on this site for a lot longer, as I was surprised you weren't already aware of my views.
Walker

Post by Walker »

For the same reason anything gets crossed, including roads.

To get to the other side.
(Don't be afraid to chuckle.)
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:45 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:15 am

I've posted many times details of my comprehension of this entity - many threads mainly in the Metaphysics area. I appreciate your interest, but I am a little busy at the mo to start another thread on the topic, there is a lot to it as you can understand. FYI. I consider myself a Christian Panentheist.
From my experience I argue from two possible considerations as to the 'nature' of this entity.
1. Divine - it formed its own consciousness from the chaos of early universe
2. It is akin to Artificial Intelligence - a construct of man or other species aeons ago - I don't like the term 'simulation', but prefer, projection in that reality beyond our conscious experience is a construct, projected by this intelligence.
Since, and from communication of a sage that introduced itself to me from the aether re Christ, I sway more to point 1.

I thought you had been on this site for a lot longer, as I was surprised you weren't already aware of my views.
I've been here one year, and no noted your views. I have interest in Relgion/ theology and history (came here from Bible-discusion.com which closed down a year ago ("snake" (I am the greatest) - i noted was here then i joined this forum last year ( I know him from my prior forum bib-dis forum).

anyway - i have interest in theologies, but not noted yours to date.

thanks for reply to me.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

To get to the other side. Same as the chicken. (C'mon, you know perfectly well the chicken died crossing the road.)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I bet nobody has asked, why did a tree have to die for Christ?

There you go "logik" is that reinventing the wheel?

Bark up the Tree of Knowledge SAP.