Theists Should Reflect What is Going Inside their Brain

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Theists Should Reflect What is Going Inside their Brain

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

The principle is whatever is expressed as thought and/or action is represented by a corresponding set of neural activities in the brain/mind.

To theists,
Do you have an idea what is going on inside your brain/mind with your belief in God?

Understanding what is going inside one's brain/mind is psychology.
  • Psychology is the science of behavior and mind, including conscious and unconscious phenomena, as well as feeling and thought.
For example when one feels hungry then eat, there are corresponding neural activities in the brain/mind.
It is the same of having beliefs which are driven by neural activities in the brain/mind.

Thus what is the whole set to neural activities that drive and sustain one in believing in a God?
Reflex

Re: Theists Should Reflect What is Going Inside their Brain

Post by Reflex »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:43 am

Thus what is the whole set to neural activities that drive and sustain one in believing in a God?
What is the whole set to neural activities that drive and sustain your disdain for theism?
Veritas Aequitas

Reflex wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:42 pm

What is the whole set to neural activities that drive and sustain your disdain for theism?
Greater activities of the mirror neurons that activate empathy and compassion rationally and with wisdom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron
Not disdain for theism, but the appropriate critique of theism.
Note my reasons for my direction;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25284

Theists in general are very selfish in self-protection to take care of their desperate personal salvation arising from their existential crisis. This exists in various degrees from very desperate theists [cling to a personal god] to the milder pantheists and panentheists.

This is why those theists who cling to a personal god based on faith will not hesitate to kill non-believers if they sensed their faith is being threatened. Do I even need to prove this point when the evidences on this is so glaring?

Perhaps that is why you [sensitive] are perceiving my rational and philosophical critique of theism in terms of disdain or hatred. This is the strategy how some theists assigned negative labels to critiques of theism with the hope they will be killed by the more violent theists.

These [as listed] Bangladeshi bloggers were murdered by Islamist extremists.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... -writings/
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 am

Greater activities of the mirror neurons that activate empathy and compassion rationally and with wisdom.
LOL! You are vain and deluded, my friend.
Veritas Aequitas

Reflex wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:39 am

Throw in some arguments to substantiate your points.
You don't seem any much clues of what is going between your ears.

Any small kid can throw negative labels at anyone.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 am

If you have so much clue as to what is going on between your ears why is it that past behaviour is a better predictor of future behavior.
Better even than self-narrative of beliefs/desires?
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:09 am

If you have so much clue as to what is going on between your ears why is it that past behaviour is a better predictor of future behavior.
Better even than self-narrative of beliefs/desires?
Off point. The subject was empathy and compassion.

If Reflex has knowledge of mirror neurons in his brain, he would have known that mirror neurons in a way are responsible for empathy and compassion.
If Reflex do not agree, just give counter arguments instead of silly remarks like;
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Nah. You do that all by yourself. You don’t need my help.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 am Off point. The subject was empathy and compassion.

If Reflex has knowledge of mirror neurons in his brain, he would have known that mirror neurons in a way are responsible for empathy and compassion.
If Reflex do not agree, just give counter arguments instead of silly remarks like;
The counter-argument is that unchecked empathy and compassion are harmful.

https://youtu.be/S1zZ_eKSAAI
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:37 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 am Off point. The subject was empathy and compassion.

I have critiqued blind and stupid empathy & compassion.

Empathy and compassion like all other emotions must be modulated rationally and wisely, i.e. as with Aristotle's advice on anger;
  • Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.
    -Aristotle
Substitute the above 'anger' with 'empathy' and 'compassion'.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 am

Empathy and compassion like all other emotions must be modulated rationally and wisely, i.e. as with Aristotle's advice on anger;
  • Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.
    -Aristotle
Which begs the question: how do you know you are modulating any emotion 'rationally and wisely'?

What does "rationally and wisely" mean? When is the 'right time'? What is the 'right purpose' and what is the 'right way'?

Against what golden standard do you calibrate your "rationality" and "wisdom", the 'righteousness' of your way ? The precision of your timing? The purity of your purpose?

Until you commit to action - they are all just weasel words.
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 am

-Aristotle
Which begs the question: how do you know you are modulating any emotion 'rationally and wisely'?

What does "rationally and wisely" mean? When is the 'right time'? What is the 'right purpose' and what is the 'right way'?

Against what golden standard do you calibrate your "rationality" and "wisdom", the 'righteousness' of your way ? The precision of your timing? The purity of your purpose?

Until you commit to action - they are all just weasel words.
The Buddhists have been doing that for thousands of years albeit using the 'black-box' approach.
In the future we will have the knowledge and technology to do it inside within the box.
I am not going into the details, it is too long winded.
If you research enough you will get some ideas of its possibility.

clue:
check out the various research on 'impulse control' [psychology & neuroscience].
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 am The Buddhists have been doing that for thousands of years albeit using the 'black-box' approach.
In the future we will have the knowledge and technology to do it inside within the box.

clue:
check out the various research on 'impulse control' [psychology & neuroscience].
I am 100 steps ahead of you in systems theory ;)

It boils down to this: if you aren't addressing the root cause - you are just shifting risk around the system. You are only managing symptoms.

Religion is not the root cause. So all that risk that you are paving over... will come back to bite you in the ass.

Technical debt.
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:33 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 am The Buddhists have been doing that for thousands of years albeit using the 'black-box' approach.

clue:
I am 100 steps ahead of you in systems theory ;)

It boils down to this: if you aren't addressing the root cause - you are just shifting risk around the system. You are only managing symptoms.

Religion is not the root cause.
Where did I say religion is the proximate and ultimate root cause?
My objective is to trace to the proximate and ultimate root causes of religion and theism.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:38 am Where did I say religion is the proximate and ultimate root cause?
My objective is to trace to the proximate and ultimate root causes of religion and theism.
Let me rephrase then. You think that religion is on the causal chain which results in "evil". It's not.

The variable which correlates strongest in the causal chain is the human ;)