Do chimpanzees believe in God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

A_Seagull

Re: Do chimpanzees believe in God?

Post by A_Seagull »

TimeSeeker wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 am
A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 am And as for your question: "What does the question 'Do you believe in God?' mean?"
What does the statement 'I believe in God mean?'
OK, but statements come AFTER questions, no?
No, not necessarily.

Answers to questions will typically be presented after a question, but statements do not need to be related to questions.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:34 am statements do not need to be related to questions.
That seems like a non-sequitur.

What positive statements can you make about reality if you haven't enquired about it? Is enquiry possible without asking questions?
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

TimeSeeker wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am
A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:34 am statements do not need to be related to questions.
That seems like a non-sequitur.

What positive statements can you make about reality if you haven't enquired about it? Is enquiry possible without asking questions?
Again from Wikipedia :"Non sequitur (fallacy), an invalid argument whose conclusion is not supported by its premises" I don't see how you my statement could be regarded as a non-sequitur.

" Is enquiry possible without asking questions?"..... Yes of course it is, it is called exploration.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am Again from Wikipedia :"Non sequitur (fallacy), an invalid argument whose conclusion is not supported by its premises" I don't see how you my statement could be regarded as a non-sequitur.
I am not using the common definition. I have invented my own.
A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am " Is enquiry possible without asking questions?"..... Yes of course it is, it is called exploration.
I think you are equivocating. What is the difference between enquiry and exploration?

Here - I am happy to use the dictionary:
Enquiry. an act of asking for information.
Exploring: travel through in order to learn about it.
Learn: gain or acquire knowledge of or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught

It seems to be saying (and therefore mean) much of the same thing using different words.

Can you LEARN anything without acquiring INFORMATION?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

TimeSeeker wrote:
Can you LEARN anything without acquiring INFORMATION
Information can lead to knowledge but one can also learn from experience as well and so in
that respect I would say that it is possible to learn something without acquiring information
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 am Information can lead to knowledge but one can also learn from experience as well and so in
I would say that it is possible to learn something without acquiring information
In my universe that is an impossibility.

Information IS formalised experience. 1 yes/no distinction = 1 bit of information.

Are you thirsty?

How do you answer that without introspecting and acquiring information about yourself ;)
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

TimeSeeker wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:55 am
A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am Again from Wikipedia :"Non sequitur (fallacy), an invalid argument whose conclusion is not supported by its premises" I don't see how you my statement could be regarded as a non-sequitur.

If you are inventing your own definitions for words you are best talking to yourself. you will only confuse other people.
A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am " Is enquiry possible without asking questions?"..... Yes of course it is, it is called exploration.
I think you are equivocating. What is the difference between enquiry and exploration?

Learn: gain or acquire knowledge of or skill in (something) by study, experience, or being taught

It seems to be saying (and therefore mean) much of the same thing using different words.

Well either way ,the answer is Yes.

Well what do you think?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

A_Seagull wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 pm
TimeSeeker wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:55 am

If you are inventing your own definitions for words you are best talking to yourself. you will only confuse other people.

Well either way ,the answer is Yes.

Well what do you think?
Whether you verbalize the question is hardly important.

The fact is you need something (an answer, am explanation). The knowledge you seek can be approximated/quantified.