Evil Inherent in All and Active in a %

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TimeSeeker

Re: Evil Inherent in All and Active in a %

Post by TimeSeeker »

Reflex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
Reflex wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am What makes you so afraid to admit you’re not infallible, VA?
Where did I claim I am infallible?
Avoid strawmaning.

Would appreciate if you could concentrate in providing counters to my arguments.

I will, when you make one. All you given is your opinion.
Don't waste your time. The moment you counter his arguments he resorts to ad hominems and rationalisation. If your falsifiers lack "substance and depth" apparently they are no good ;)

Either he's practicing Cunningham's law and not saying it, or he suffers from incurable bigotry.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Reflex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 am
Reflex wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am What makes you so afraid to admit you’re not infallible, VA?
Avoid strawmaning.

Would appreciate if you could concentrate in providing counters to my arguments.

I will, when you make one. All you given is your opinion.
I am waiting for your counter on this claim?

Veritas Aequitas

Reflex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 am I will, when you make one. All you given is your opinion.
Re God is an impossibility I have presented my argument here;

God is an Impossibility
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24704

If you want to prove God is real, it is so easy,
Just call your God to be present at location X[GPS] in whatever verifiable form so that I can have a Q&A session with God where it can be verified by reputable scientists to be real, even if that is a scientific polished conjecture.

Why beat around the bush and make it so difficult and giving all sorts of excuses?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:38 am
Reflex wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 am I will, when you make one. All you given is your opinion.

God is an Impossibility

Just call your God to be present at location X[GPS] in whatever verifiable form so that I can have a Q&A session with God where it can be verified by reputable scientists to be real, even if that is a scientific polished conjecture.

Why beat around the bush and make it so difficult and giving all sorts of excuses?
Because logic is more complicated than you give it credit! The fact that you want it to be easy is your miscalibrated expectations of how reality should be. To be blunt - you are ignorant and/or naive.

If you don't have a conception of "God" you could arrive at the location specified and you could still fail to find it. How big/small is God? Are you looking for an elephant-sized object or a quark-sized object?

And even IF you identify the object - what if it doesn't speak your language and it doesn't care to be examined by scientists? It's omnipotent, right? It can just move to somewhere else it can't be bothered by you apes!
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

God is an Impossibility

Okay. You're nuts.
Veritas Aequitas

Reflex wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 am

God is an Impossibility

Okay. You're nuts.
You are nutting your own nutty claim that God exists as real when you cannot provide evidence at all.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:00 am You are nutting your own nutty claim that God exists as real when you cannot provide evidence at all.
You can't provide any evidence that the Universe exists either. And yet...
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:33 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:00 am You are nutting your own nutty claim that God exists as real when you cannot provide evidence at all.
Did I ever claim the Universe per se exists?

But in reality and
scientifically the moon exists.
There are loads of evidence the moon exists.

Where is the evidence your God [conventionally defined] exists?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am Did I ever claim the Universe per se exists?

But in reality and

"conventionally defined". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word
A weasel word, or anonymous authority, is an informal term for words and phrases such as "researchers believe" and "most people think" which make arguments appear specific or meaningful, even though these terms are at best ambiguous and vague. Using weasel words may allow someone to later deny any specific meaning if the statement is challenged, because the statement was never specific in the first place. Weasel words can be a form of tergiversation, and may be used in advertising and political statements to mislead.
Define it for me. I don't have a "conventional definition" for God.
Or The Moon for that matter. I have an ostensive definition for The Moon.
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am Did I ever claim the Universe per se exists?

But in reality and

"conventionally defined". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word
A weasel word, or anonymous authority, is an informal term for words and phrases such as "researchers believe" and "most people think" which make arguments appear specific or meaningful, even though these terms are at best ambiguous and vague. Using weasel words may allow someone to later deny any specific meaning if the statement is challenged, because the statement was never specific in the first place. Weasel words can be a form of tergiversation, and may be used in advertising and political statements to mislead.
Define it for me. I don't have a "conventional definition" for God.
Or The Moon for that matter. I have an ostensive definition for The Moon.
Strawmanning again.

God?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

I am not going to waste time on this.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 am Strawmanning again.

God?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

I am not going to waste time on this.
Yes. There's a lot of weasel words in that article too.

Here's a (short list):
* Omnipotent
* Omniscient
* Omnipresent
* Deity
* transcendence

None of that word salad tells me any of the PROPERTIES of God. There is nothing TESTABLE in there. Just empty words.

You know - so that I can establish whether this magical object which I discovered and which I suspect of being God is, in fact God. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

And testability is not the end of it! The Big Bang and Evolution have been extensively tested and I have no idea what it means to "believe" in either of those theories/phenomena!

So if I don't understand what it means to "believe" in scientific theories, then I sure as hell don't know what it means to "believe" in something untestable.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 am I am not going to waste time on this.
Perhaps you meant to say "I acknowledge that I am out of my depth and I concede defeat".
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

As with most who deny the possibility of God on the grounds of lack of evidence, VA does not understand what evidence requires (boundaries) or what it entails (limitation). Infinity has neither.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Reflex wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:53 am
As with most who deny the possibility of God on the grounds of lack of evidence, VA does not understand what evidence requires (boundaries) or what it entails (limitation). Infinity has neither.
Bounded rationality - it's a thing.

Which reminds me! http://www.hpmor.com
Chapter 2 is my favorite: Everything I Believe Is False
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

TimeSeeker wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:48 am
Don't waste your time. The moment you counter his arguments he resorts to ad hominems and rationalisation. If your falsifiers lack "substance and depth" apparently they are no good ;)

Either he's practicing Cunningham's law and not saying it, or he suffers from incurable bigotry.
I gave up on VA a long time ago as being too irrational to carry on a conversation. I only engage him when I get bored. :wink:
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Reflex wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:59 am
TimeSeeker wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:48 am

I gave up on VA a long time ago as being too irrational to carry on a conversation. I only engage him when I get bored. :wink:
Ah well, in that case :)

He's useful cannon fodder for onlookers.