There is No Me, No You, No Person, No Self ???

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TimeSeeker

Re: There is No Me, No You, No Person, No Self ???

Post by TimeSeeker »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:04 pm Well if you ask me, by default you understand dichotomies, like approximate vs absolute, differently than how most people understand it. Because you left hemisphere is overriding the right one, or something like that.
And if you ask me you have fallen victim to abductive reasoning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning (contrasted against deductive reasoning).

You are missing information about the inner workings of my mind, so you are making inferences about the way I THINK from the way I SPEAK. That is your mistake - not mine ;)

What you perceive as a dichotomy (approximate vs absolute) are the polar ends which from the CONTINUUM which I call "precision".

And so the approximate shape of the Earth is round.
But more precisely it is oblate.
But more precisely it is a spheroid.
But more precisely it is an elipsoid.
But more precisely it is a geodesic.
But more precisely it is a shape that cannot be expressed in English but it is covered in the mathematical models of Geodesy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_geodesy ) such as the WGS84 standard ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System )

What is the difference between round and WSG84? "round" is the approximate definition, WSG84 is the "absolute" definition (e.g the best one modern science offers to us)

And how is the approximation "round" different from the approximation "WSG84? Information!

A circle requires 1 INTEGER (32 or 64 bit - you decide on the precision) of information to be described. Its radius.
WSG84 requires PETABYTES of data!

Or rather than waxing lyrical about it, there is a short phrase for this mode of thinking: bounded rationality ( https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bounded_rationality )
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

And DESPITE that - all of those are MODELS with varying degrees of accuracy/error! They are all WRONG in some particular way.

When I am making a coffee table for my house - the Earth is flat, I tell you! I do not have to take its curvature of Earth into account when cutting the wooden legs!
Last edited by TimeSeeker on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atla

Post by Atla »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:04 pm Well if you ask me, by default you understand dichotomies, like approximate vs absolute, differently than how most people understand it. Because you left hemisphere is overriding the right one, or something like that.
And if you ask me you have fallen victim to abductive reasoning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning (contrasted against deductive reasoning).

You are missing information about the inner workings of my mind, so you are making inferences about the way I THINK from the way I SPEAK. That is your mistake - not mine ;)

What you perceive as a dichotomy (approximate vs absolute) are the polar ends which from the CONTINUUM which I call "precision".

And so the approximate shape of the Earth is round.
But more precisely it is oblate.
But more precisely it is a spheroid.
But more precisely it is an elipsoid.
But more precisely it is a geodesic.
But more precisely it is a shape that cannot be expressed in English but it is covered in the mathematical models of Geodesy ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_geodesy ) such as the WGS84 standard ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System )

What is the difference between round and WSG84? "round" is the approximate definition, WSG84 is the "absolute" definition (e.g the best one modern science offers to us)

And how is the approximation "round" different from the approximation "WSG84? Information!

A circle requires 1 INTEGER (32 or 64 bit - you decide on the precision) of information to be described. Its radius.
WSG84 requires PETABYTES of data!

Or rather than waxing lyrical about it, there is a short phrase for this mode of thinking: bounded rationality ( https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bounded_rationality )
A properly functioning right hemisphere sort of automatically incorporates context, meaning, probability, fuzzy logic, holistic view, into all thought processes (or at least that's what it roughly does, probably, according to our current understanding of the human brain/mind).

If you ask me this is not something you can imagine, because to imagine it, you would need a properly functioning right hemisphere. Catch-22.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm A properly functioning right hemisphere
That one sentence demonstrates your utter ignorance. "Properly functioning" eh? What is your IDEALIZED MODEL for "properly functioning" brain? Which textbook did you find this "properly functioning" brain in?

Where in this MENTAL BOX of yours do you ALLOW for neurodiversity?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurodiversity
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm sort of automatically incorporates context, meaning, probability, fuzzy logic, holistic view, into all thought processes (or at least that's what it roughly does, probably, according to our current understanding of the human brain/mind).
No. That is what an EFFICIENT hemisphere does. It runs on autopilot and DISMISSES options rapidly! Out of the 20 possible contexts/meanings for a word - it CHOOSES one. And so if you are only familiar with 20 contexts of interpretation and I am familiar with 40 contexts of interpretation I need MORE INFORMATION to reduce the ambiguity to something I can parse!

This is an erudite way of telling you that what you recognize as "correct functioning". It is the opposite fallacy of "hasty generalization". It is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slothful_induction

Our brains are wired that way. Fast decision making made us survive in the deadly jungle. But we are not in the jungle any more. Using System II ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking, ... wo_systems ) is actually more advantageous in 2018.
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm If you ask me this is not something you can imagine, because to imagine it, you would need a properly functioning right hemisphere. Catch-22.
Ad hominemn. Let me put it in a language that you can understand then.

I am a GENERALIST I have very very broad awareness and scope of human knowledge, so when you only think there are a handful of possible context that your brain needs to CHOOSE from. I SEE thousands of different contexts! And because I am (by nature) cautious I do not jump to conclusions. You do.

This process is known as WSD in linguistics ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word-sense_disambiguation ).

So it appears to me that there is a much much simpler explanation than "my brain is broken". The alternative hypothesis is that I am much smarter than you.

The reason I told you that I am autistic is SO that you don't feel intimidated. I manipulated you into feeling superior so that the conversation can continue, while giving YOU a plausible explanation for my idiosyncrasy.

See! I can imagine just fine! I can imagine so well that I can even imagine what YOU will think/do if I SAY this "magic word" Aspergers. We call that prediction.

You might call it Machiavelliansism. But you understand why I need to do it around ignorant people who think there is a "right" and a "wrong" way of how a brain should work, no ? :)

If you ask me, you can't tell that I am smarter than you because in order to do that you need to be smarter than me. Catch 22 ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect

Normally when people get schooled in real life (like you just got schooled) - they tend to resort to violence and aggression to re-establish their dominance.

Of course, if they were smart - they would've figured out that it is an even dumber idea to pick on a police officer with a gun. You get schooled AND you get your ass beat down. It's just not worth it, but if you do insist - I am really happy to oblige with a free lesson in making your "stupid" hurt.

If you consider yourself humbled - an admission of error and an apology would be nice. Otherwise - I am happy to continue turning a blind eye to your bigotry.
Atla

Post by Atla »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:25 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm A properly functioning right hemisphere
That one sentence demonstrates your utter ignorance. "Properly functioning" eh? What is your IDEALIZED MODEL for "properly functioning" brain? Which textbook did you find this "properly functioning" brain in?

Where in this MENTAL BOX of yours do you ALLOW for neurodiversity?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurodiversity
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm sort of automatically incorporates context, meaning, probability, fuzzy logic, holistic view, into all thought processes (or at least that's what it roughly does, probably, according to our current understanding of the human brain/mind).
No. That is what an EFFICIENT hemisphere does. It runs on autopilot and DISMISSES options rapidly! Out of the 20 possible contexts/meanings for a word - it CHOOSES one. And so if you are only familiar with 20 contexts of interpretation and I am familiar with 40 contexts of interpretation I need MORE INFORMATION to reduce the ambiguity to something I can parse!

This is an erudite way of telling you that what you recognize as "correct functioning". It is the opposite fallacy of "hasty generalization". It is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slothful_induction

Our brains are wired that way. Fast decision making made us survive in the deadly jungle. But we are not in the jungle any more. Using System II ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking, ... wo_systems ) is actually more advantageous in 2018.
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm If you ask me this is not something you can imagine, because to imagine it, you would need a properly functioning right hemisphere. Catch-22.
Ad hominemn. Let me put it in a language that you can understand then.

I am a GENERALIST I have very very broad awareness and scope of human knowledge, so when you only think there are a handful of possible context that your brain needs to CHOOSE from. I SEE thousands of different contexts! And because I am (by nature) cautious I do not jump to conclusions. You do.

This process is known as WSD in linguistics ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word-sense_disambiguation ).

So it appears to me that there is a much much simpler explanation than "my brain is broken". The alternative hypothesis is that I am much smarter than you.

The reason I told you that I am autistic is SO that you don't feel intimidated. I manipulated you into feeling superior so that the conversation can continue, while giving YOU a plausible explanation for my idiosyncrasy.

See! I can imagine just fine! I can imagine so well that I can even imagine what YOU will think/do if I SAY this "magic word" Aspergers. We call that prediction.

You might call it Machiavelliansism. But you understand why I need to do it around ignorant people who think there is a "right" and a "wrong" way of how a brain should work, no ? :)

If you ask me, you can't tell that I am smarter than you because in order to do that you need to be smarter than me. Catch 22 ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect

If you consider yourself humbled - an admission of error and an apology would be nice. Otherwise - I am happy to continue turning a blind eye to your bigotry. Normally when people get schooled in real life (like you just got schooled) - they tend to resort to violence and aggression to re-establish their dominance.

Of course, if they were smart - they would've figured out that it is an even dumber idea to pick on a police officer with a gun. You get schooled AND you get your ass beat down. It's just not worth it, but if you do insist - I am really happy to oblige with a free lesson in making your "stupid" hurt.
Or instead of throwing a long tantrum again, you could just face it. Your reaction speaks volumes.
Also, autism and Aspergers may overlap, but probably not the same at all.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 pm Or instead of throwing a long tantrum again, you could just face it. Your reaction speaks volumes.
Also, autism and Aspergers may overlap, but probably not the same at all.
Is it a tantrum or a well-reasoned argument? Is what you doing blame externalization ? :)

I guess we'll never know if you are a bigot, a psychopath, a narcissist; or just an average delinquent.
They may overlap, but probably not the same at all.

The ontology of an "asshole" aside, you are exhibiting behavior that I don't like. And I am telling you about it so that you can introspect (or as you say: face it) and understand where it's coming from.

Course-correction is (as always) optional.
Atla

Post by Atla »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:35 pm I guess we'll never know if you are a bigot, a psychopath, a narcissist
ooh but what if I'm all three, and how many bits would we need for such calculations?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 pm ooh but what if I'm all three, and how many bits would we need for such calculations?
Hickam’s dictum says we don’t need any.

We can just call you an asshole without any other evidence but your own behavior.

And just like that it becomes your problem to provide any falsifiers ;)
Atla

Post by Atla »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:53 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 pm ooh but what if I'm all three, and how many bits would we need for such calculations?
Hickam’s dictum says we don’t need any.

We can just call you an asshole without any other evidence but your own behavior.

And just like that it becomes your problem to provide any falsifiers ;)
Maybe.. or maybe it's not me, it's you.. or both or neither.. hard to tell, there's much uncertainty.. entropy is high.. and entropy is out to get us.. I fear for mankind.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:54 pm Maybe.. or maybe it's not me, it's you.. or both or neither.. hard to tell, there's much uncertainty.. entropy is high.. and entropy is out to get us.. I fear for mankind.
From where I am standing your ignorance/entropy is glaring.

But don't take my word for it.
Atla

Post by Atla »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:54 pm Maybe.. or maybe it's not me, it's you.. or both or neither.. hard to tell, there's much uncertainty.. entropy is high.. and entropy is out to get us.. I fear for mankind.
From where I am standing your ignorance/entropy is glaring.

But don't take my word for it.
And if you're wrong, does that give you bad entropy-karma, does that shorten your life expectancy? :)
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm And if you're wrong, does that give you bad entropy-karma, does that shorten your life expectancy? :)
Maybe, but I think interacting with you is a far greater risk to my life expectancy by virtue of you raising my blood pressure.

I bid you adieu.
Atla

Post by Atla »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm Maybe, but I think interacting with you is a far greater risk to my life expectancy by virtue of you raising my blood pressure.

I bid you adieu.
But you already bid me adieu like 5 times. Can you overcome your need to have the final word?

I know, let's put you into an impossible situation. I predict that the ignore thing will fail a 6th time too, and you will write one more comment. I base this prediction on my information and understanding about you.

So if you write one more comment, not only do you make an ass out of yourself again, but you also show that my information/prediction is correct. That gives me good entropy-karma, and I will probably live a little longer. You would really help me out there.

Or will you not comment, and give me bad entropy-karma? :)

Decisions decisions, but you have free will.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:32 pm But you already bid me adieu like 5 times. Can you overcome your need to have the final word?
No. Just the final laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:32 pm I know, let's put you into an impossible situation.
I guess you failed?
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:32 pm So if you write one more comment, not only do you make an ass out of yourself again?
How does fucking with your experiment make an ass out of me? *tsk*tsk*tsk*

But if those are the standards you hold yourself accountable to then by all means. You've already made an ass out of yourself. Wittgenstein's ruler ;)
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:05 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:58 am
Atla wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:51 am
I see Buddhism "eliminate" the existential crysis by eliminating the human self. A very elaborate form of depersonalization, self-deception. If your leg hurts cut it off.
I wonder where you got that idea.

I have mentioned the Two-Truths of Buddhism and it is also explained in that article, the person must give relevant attention to the empirical physical self and ensure there is no clinging to an idealized permanent self that survives physical death, thus facilitating the existing human self to 'flow' spontaneously.
Giving up clinging to an idealized permanent self doesn't eliminate the existential crysis; it eliminates some of it, just like in Advaita.

And can lead to new forms of suffering in some people. Anyway these are just small differences, we highly agree about stuff. And it may also depend on the IQ of the individual which approach is better (since existential depression/suffering strongly correlates with IQ/giftedness). And there also various forms of the human self; some forms of it are pretty indestructible psychological structures, and can't ever be fully non-clinging; other forms can be. And the human self is also highly different in men and women etc.
I need to clarify here re existential crisis.

DNA wise all humans has an inherent potential for and inherent unavoidable existential crisis and this is activated strongly and subliminally within the subconscious mind of the person.
As such there is no way a person can eliminate that inherent unavoidable existential crisis or DOOM.
The only solution is to inhibit and modulate the terrible impulses of the existential crisis.

The difference between advaita-proper and Buddhism-proper is its principles of the coverage in resolving this existential crisis.

In principle;
Advaita-proper's atman-Brahman principles cover a maximum 90% target in controlling the impulses of the existential crisis.
On the other hand, Buddhism-proper principles target a 100% maximum coverage in controlling the impulses of the existential crisis.
The % above is merely to demonstrate a relative difference since it is not possible to determine the exact quantum.

The above is only in principle, but in practice, both believers and practitioners will achieve different levels depending on their spiritual constitution and circumstances.
But the difference is a Buddhist can achieve 100% while the maximum for an advaitin is only 90%.

Analogy:
Buddhism-proper [non-theistic] is like a manufacturing company setting a zero defect vision, mission and objects, i.e. 100% efficiency and thus their whole system of manufacturing processes established to meet such a perfect ideal target.
Advaita-proper [theistic pantheistic] set a mission and objectives that accepts 10% defects, i.e. 90% efficiency because humans are by nature fallible and thus will make mistakes that will result in defects.
The point is when one sets a target of 90% efficiency and construct a system to achieve that target, the actual results will be less that the target, i.e. the best results could be between 85-89% and at times 90%.
But when one set a target of an ideal of 100%, in practice the result could be 95-99% and at times 100%.
See the difference.

That is the difference between Buddhism-proper and Advaita-proper.

One major difference is Buddhism-proper is non-theistic while Advaita-proper is theistic and/or pantheistic.
It is the 'theistic' element which is tied to the fundamental psychological from the basement of the brain that can hinder and restraint spiritual progress to the max or optimal. Such theistic elements can even turn malignant based on principles that can actualized in some advaitins.