What if God is weak?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: What if God is weak?

Post by seeds »

seeds wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 am You are fixating on the features of the façade while failing to look deeply into the nature of the substance that the façade is made of.

1. From the perspective of what physicists refer to as “local reality” the substance presents itself as rocks and gas clouds (and suns and planets).

2. From the perspective of what physicists refer to as “non-local reality” the substance presents itself as an informationally-based essence existing in a superpositioned state of interpenetrating oneness.

3. However, from an extreme metaphysical perspective, the substance appears to be a “mind-like” essence that is capable of becoming absolutely anything “imaginable” – just like the substance that forms our thoughts and dreams.

The point is, stop focusing on point #1 and pay more attention to the implications of point #3.
_______
Greta wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 am #3 is an extraordinary claim. Do you have extraordinary backing for that supposition?
seeds wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 am Greta, I fully realize that anything I have to say on this matter is speculation, however, before I answer your question, would you please clarify for me in what way point #3 seems extraordinary to you?
Greta wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 am I was mostly just teasing, you know ... the old "ha ha, don't get too excited, rocks are just rocks" buzzkill :)
Ah, very funny miss buzzkill :D (though I’m having difficulty recognizing the tease in what appeared to be a valid question).

Nevertheless, in light of the implications of point #3...

(or even point #2, for that matter – which is every bit as extraordinary as point #3)

...are rocks really “just rocks” and nothing else?
Greta wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 am I'm a big fan of unheralded geology and plasma which, aside from space, make up almost all of our reality. The stuff has done some interesting things in the last 13.8b years so far, obviously enough.
Again, you are fixating on the features of the “façade.”

Doesn’t the fact that everything you are referring to above appears to be created out of a “mind-like” substance that seems to resemble the substance from which our dreams are created, pique your sense of curiosity?
_______
Greta

Post by Greta »

seeds wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:49 pmAh, very funny miss buzzkill :D (though I’m having difficulty recognizing the tease in what appeared to be a valid question).
Basically asking you for the impossible. How on Earth could you provide extraordinary evidence for the universe to seemingly be made out of a "mind-like substance"?

Wouldn't it be more strange if minds were made from something different to the stuff of everything else? It's all atoms and quantum wavicles.

1. We are chatting. You have thoughts that exist as dynamic patterning of neural activity. The dynamic pattern would basically be a 4-D shape (or a dynamic 3-D one).

2. The pattern is converted into a form that can be carried down the nerves of your arms to your fingers, which is a 4D branching pattern

3. Your fingers describe another dynamic geometric pattern when pressing the keys.

4. The thoughts have now transformed into shapes "sketched" on a screen in the form of black markings on a white background

5 etc. After you press the button, the data goes down the line ... various further transformations, blah blah.

The result is that readers' brains will approximately echo the dynamic neural patterns in #1. Patterns etched into the atomic and subatomic bases of our reality. Ditto dreams. It is all the same stuff, as you say, but I don't see it as profound, rather expected.

The interesting thing about dreams is they are a compressed form of consciousness. I love that dreams are never boring or pointless. If there is a sense of boredom or pointlessness in a dream, it points to such issues in one's life. So you never have a dream where you go out the back door, walk down the steps, go pick up a bucket, fill it with water, attend some thirsty plants, walk back, replace the bucket etc.

No, more likely you will suddenly appear in the backyard with the bucket and next moment you'll be at an aunty's place who you haven't seen for decades, but she will be a large white rabbit holding the bucket and telling you that it contains all of the secrets of the world :)

All boring bits are conveniently trimmed out, and that is the reason for what was thought to be time dilation during sleep. It turns out that events in dreams occur in synch with "outside time" and it is that compression - the omission of what is deemed the least important information - behind the sense that hours of dreaming occurred in ten minutes.
seeds wrote:Nevertheless, in light of the implications of point #3...

(or even point #2, for that matter – which is every bit as extraordinary as point #3)

...are rocks really “just rocks” and nothing else?
Greta wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 am I'm a big fan of unheralded geology and plasma which, aside from space, make up almost all of our reality. The stuff has done some interesting things in the last 13.8b years so far, obviously enough.
Again, you are fixating on the features of the “façade.”

Doesn’t the fact that everything you are referring to above appears to be created out of a “mind-like” substance that seems to resemble the substance from which our dreams are created, pique your sense of curiosity?
As per above. I guess this points to a difference in what we guess to be the nature of the universe. You seem to lean towards panpsychism whereas I lean towards panvitalism. I see the universe as a living system and consider it blindingly obvious that biology is only one kind of living system amongst multiple, both on Earth and "out there".

But do these objects have mentality? It would seem that mentality is precisely the point of being an intelligent mammal and, especially, a human one. That's what we do.

Other entities don't think. They do other impressive things that we can't do, eg. persist for millions of years, explode as supernovae, be gigantic, etc. What I see in the cosmos are simply uncontrolled reflexes and reactions, but we can't rule out the possibility that we are part of a larger universe or reality. For all we know, our universe could a subatomic particle in a larger reality a la Dead Poets Society but it would be a tad tricky to prove.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Dodgy. Why not address the question instead of posting your views on other matters, things that have nothing to do with “what if”?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:49 pm But here is TimeSeeker again trying to figure out how to pause time.
If you figure it out, let me know, okay?

There seems to be a sudden diarrhea-like explosion of manic insanity on the forum and it's just too much. I'm going to invest my energies elsewhere for awhile, until all of that dies down (hopefully it will). Seriously, why are so many people absolutely fucking crazy? Seems to be lots of ignorant intoxication and ego and rage. I don't get it. Where's the love, man? We need love to keep things in balance. I thought humankind was wiser and more stable than this.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 am
TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:49 pm But here is TimeSeeker again trying to figure out how to pause time.

There seems to be a sudden diarrhea-like explosion of manic insanity on the forum and it's just too much. I'm going to invest my energies elsewhere for awhile, until all of that dies down (hopefully it will). Seriously, why are so many people absolutely fucking crazy? Seems to be lots of ignorant intoxication and ego and rage. I don't get it. Where's the love, man? We need love to keep things in balance. I thought humankind was wiser and more stable than this.
Here is one way to pause time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Zeno_effect

What you observe as “crazy” is people having developed their internal language to talk about the ideas in their heads. The problem with creating new languages is that nobody else speaks them. And when you try to interact with other people using a language they don’t speak - word soup :)

Part of my manic episode was to internalise my own language and learn how to translate into something coherent for others. Colloquially: learning to communicate. It is a process.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Reflex wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 pm Dodgy. Why not address the question instead of posting your views on other matters, things that have nothing to do with “what if”?
Back to Twitter with you, dunce. You offer nothing.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 am
He could try cooling to absolute zero or being a singularity in a black hole? Time is probably being paused in black holes all the, um time :)

The Zeno Effect looks interesting. Didn't know about that. Thx.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 am
Reflex wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 pm Dodgy. Why not address the question instead of posting your views on other matters, things that have nothing to do with “what if”?
Back to Twitter with you, dunce. You offer nothing.
Just a book addressing the question directly and a summary. Don’t blame me for your unwillingness to explore possibilities.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 am Where's the love, man? We need love to keep things in balance.
Love is in balance at all times. To deny this is to be needy of our own selfish desires. Love is to accept what we don't like about ourself and others and allow that to be anyway.

Unbalance comes from the belief that there is a separate you who can control what is always this immediate inevitable natural spontaneous flow that is life living itself as it happens in real space-time duality. Any attempt to control the flow results in damming it up, causing frustration and turbulence, and dis-ease...All allowing love doesn't do this, it is free to express itself unconditionally exactly as it is appearing without limitation or restriction.

Love is all allowing. It does not differentiate or favour, it doesn't have preferrences for one thing over an another. It allows all conceivable possibilty including craziness and instabilty, and hate.

Love is infinite possibilty to be without objection or resistence to the demanding, possessive, destructive, jealous nature of the identified mind Love is patient, kind and tolerant. Love is All love All Allowing. There is only love, everything else is an illusion. This is it. It's who you are.

TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 am Where's the love, man? We need love to keep things in balance.
Love is in balance at all times. To deny this is to be needy of our own selfish desires. Love is to accept what we don't like about ourself and others and allow that to be anyway.

Unbalance comes from the belief that there is a separate you who can control what is always this immediate inevitable natural spontaneous flow that is life living itself as it happens in real space-time duality. Any attempt to control the flow results in damming it up, causing frustration and turbulence, and dis-ease...All allowing love doesn't do this, it is free to express itself unconditionally exactly as it is appearing without limitation or restriction.

Love is all allowing. It does not differentiate or favour, it doesn't have preferrences for one thing over an another. It allows all conceivable possibilty including craziness and instabilty, and hate.

Love is infinite possibilty to be without objection or resistence to the demanding, possessive, destructive, jealous nature of the identified mind Love is patient, kind and tolerant. Love is All love All Allowing. There is only love, everything else is an illusion. This is it. It's who you are.

Love your friends who wish to drive home drunk!
Love them by allowing them to! Without objection or resistance.

*cough*bullshit*cough*
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

TimeSeeker wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 am
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 am

Love your friends who wish to drive home drunk!
Love them by allowing them to! Without objection or resistance.

*cough*bullshit*cough*
You are confused.

Love is responsible.

Love is not something you do, or give to another. Love is not what someone does to you, or gives to you.

Love is not something to get.

That's not what love is.

Love automatically knows wrong from right action, knows to keep safe and from harms way, while fully allowing to go ones own way, it's automatic. There is no one doing this.

How are you going to stop someone else from wanting to go there own way and do it there way? It's not up to you who is walking to even direct your step.

Your response is N/A

TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

And if one chooses suicide euthanasia? What does love do?

Because if it is not something you do for that which you claim to love, then love is very sterile.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

TimeSeeker wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 am And if one chooses suicide euthanasia? What does love do?

Because if it is not something you do for that which you claim to love, then love is very sterile.
Everything that happens in the dream of separation is an act of love.

There is only love. Love itself never happens, because that's all there is infinitely for eternity.

Resistance is futile.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Now you sound like you work for hospice. Hushing the human spirit to accept its fate.

You are a fire extinguisher for human passion.

Since we already established that you are a passenger on there Titanic, are you merely looking for validation?

Yes. It is OK to be a sheep.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

TimeSeeker wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 am Now you sound like you work for hospice. Hushing the human spirit to accept its fate.

You are a fire extinguisher for human passion.

Since we already established that you are a passenger on there Titanic, are you merely looking for validation?

Yes. It is OK to be a sheep.

I only understand the nondual nature of reality. If you are going to come at me with knowledge, I cannot reply to you in a way you want me to, I wouldn't know what to say back to you without interfering with your own understanding of reality. I cannot know what you know, I can only know what I know.