Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:14 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 am
Greta wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:22 pm
My first moment of reading this I thought "fair enough".

But it's not so simple. There will always be geniuses, very bright, bright, average, below average, simple and incompetent people. The proportions change, though. If you are living in the US you could be forgiven for believing a regression is in train but it's only a blip in history. In the scales we refer to, a blip can last a lifetime or more so it's serious business at the time.
??? have no clue of what you are saying above.

I'm Simple.

my point was clear above.

do you not agree? if not, use small words so a simple man like me can understand.

thanks for reply!
Am I allowed to use the word "relatively"? I think I'll need it to explain.
why sure - use all vocabulary/time you need.

I await in expectation ;-).
Greta

Post by Greta »

gaffo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:21 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 am

??? have no clue of what you are saying above.

I'm Simple.

my point was clear above.

do you not agree? if not, use small words so a simple man like me can understand.

thanks for reply!

Please no expectations. They are robbers of clarity IMO.

Moderns are not so much wiser than the ancients but more able to act wisely. Without knowledge, even the wise and well meaning can inadvertently act unwisely despite their true intent, eg. when sick people were treated with exorcisms rather than medicine. Knowledge helps the wise to avoid missteps, thus the wise welcome knowledge, while being realistic about its limitations.
Last edited by Greta on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

utterly off topic, but if you like war movies - one about war, the horror of (realistic) - refer to the movie thread in noah section.

you are a gal (no wish to stereotype) - but just noting, so may not wish to view the best war movies since Battle of Algiers.

just giving a heads up i found the full movie of City of life and Death (Chinese) with eng subs via "cc" - on YT. it will be removed soon no doubt ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:27 am

Moderns are not so much wiser than the ancients but more able to act wisely. Without knowledge, even the wise and well meaning can inadvertently act unwisely despite their true intent, eg. when sick people were treated with exorcisms rather than medicine. Knowledge helps the wise to avoid missteps, thus the wise welcome knowledge, while being realistic about its limitations.
yes, I concur with that.

we do know that per biblical times, when one was sick - they were due to a sin they performed (and why Job's "Friends" assumed Job had done evil to have his family die on him). Just as folks in NT times are often quoted about some fellow Jesus is curing of some ailment (blindness/leprosy/etc........) "of what evil he committed to be in such a state".

I'm not a Christian, though do think that Jesus existed, and tend to think that he prob was a wise and good man (though nationalistic - pro Judea/anti Roman rule - and why romans killed him). I'm sure he though illness was due to sin like all his neighbors did.
Greta

Post by Greta »

I'm not much for war movies but Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket were amazing.

Usually I'm a fan of sci fi, fantasy and nature/space documentaries. I don't mind - freaks, monsters, aliens, robots, stars, planets, back holes, AI, mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, fungi, microbes, viruses and rocks ... I'm keen to see them in action.

Basically I'm keen on anything that's not all about bloody human beings and their bloody stupid fights, concerns and emotions. There's too many of them in real life already. Escaping all that human-centricity is healthy. For me, anyway :)
Greta

Post by Greta »

gaffo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:34 am
Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:27 am

yes, I concur with that.

we do know that per biblical times, when one was sick - they were due to a sin they performed (and why Job's "Friends" assumed Job had done evil to have his family die on him). Just as folks in NT times are often quoted about some fellow Jesus is curing of some ailment (blindness/leprosy/etc........) "of what evil he committed to be in such a state".

I'm not a Christian, though do think that Jesus existed, and tend to think that he prob was a wise and good man (though nationalistic - pro Judea/anti Roman rule - and why romans killed him). I'm sure he though illness was due to sin like all his neighbors did.
That's the usual Jewish standpoint - Jesus as a mortal teacher rather than a spiritual superman.

I cannot imagine what would be going through their minds as they tried to cast bacteria or viruses from a patient's body with exorcisms. Maybe confusion and insecurity, because they'd notice that the "possessed" person didn't seem to be a bad type at all. If they can't see the sin in others themselves, then that would make them feel vulnerable. Maybe they'd be next?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

you know thinking about my above post and i see "folks are folks" (willfully blind) - then as now!

per my reference to book of Job, that author rejected the whole notion of "illness/death is the result of sin". Job never sinned, yet was pleged with skin soarse/had his family die (neighbors did the usual thing - per the usual of the time - "job must have sinned! otherwise blah blah blah"

author of Job rejects this! - so the author is before his time here! he denies there are reasons for death/illness (at least reasons we can put to it - like the main one of the time Sin).

sht just happens! that is the theme.

Jesus and his nieghbors had 250 yrs of time to read JOB and to understand what I do! - yet they never "got the memo" of Job, and centuries later still equalled illness with one sinning.

oh well.

folks are folks - then as now. some wise, but most fools sadly.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 am I'm not much for war movies but Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket were amazing.

Usually I'm a fan of sci fi, fantasy and nature/space documentaries. I don't mind - freaks, monsters, aliens, robots, stars, planets, back holes, AI, mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, fungi, microbes, viruses and rocks ... I'm keen to see them in action.

Basically I'm keen on anything that's not all about bloody human beings and their bloody stupid fights, concerns and emotions. There's too many of them in real life already. Escaping all that human-centricity is healthy. For me, anyway :)
full metal was tops for sure! Kubrick (2001 best movie ever!!!!!!) was tops for sure.

Apocalypse Now was ok - overrated IMO.

Black Hawk Down was pretty damn good imo.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 am I'm not much for war movies but Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket were amazing.

I love Sci Fi - but not found movie nor books worth a damn since the 70''s in that genre.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

then you hate Batte of Algiers/City of life and death.

its all abut mans folly of war for power. ;-).

;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:42 am
I cannot imagine what would be going through their minds as they tried to cast bacteria or viruses from a patient's body with exorcisms. Maybe confusion and insecurity, because they'd notice that the "possessed" person didn't seem to be a bad type at all. If they can't see the sin in others themselves, then that would make them feel vulnerable. Maybe they'd be next?
yes, its been years since i read Job, so not sure if Job was ostricized by his "friends" or not.

but yes i think would be the view/mindset of folk near an ill person.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

off topic.

but yes i do identify with Judaism moreso than Christianity in overall perspective.

I live by Reciprocity not the Golden Rule.

Note: the default of Reciprocity is an assumed Golden Rule upon first encounter (why Jews and Muslim vaule treating the stranger with respect).

not into Golden Rule when the stranger does not honour my conduct and instead steps on my neck (i.e. not into the NT Golden Rule of the punching bag - love your enemies crap) Such a mindset is great in Heaven, but here on earth is just folly.

BTW i loath Israel - its a rascist nation - same as the old South Africa - so no love for.

Israel is not Judaism of course - as some understand - all to many do not though - especially evangelicals who sadly seem ignorant of the nature of Israel and human decency and make up 1/3 of the folks here in Oklahoma

;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

more off topic - and you may not have interest in historical religion.

but I'm bored and so will post anyway.

there is some evidence that Jesus was the son of a Syrian Roman Soldier named Pantera.

Jesus is noted as going to Antioch (where it is though his dad lived) in Gospel of Mark.

Antioch was the center of Christianity after Jeurselem (Jame and other brothers would be assumed to be from the same father). they took up the mantle of the "church" after Jesus was killed.

it could be coincidence that Antioch was made the center of the church - esp after the razing of Juersalem) - or maybe because there father was from there?

i do wonder.

BTW the Tulmud?(Midrash?)(Mishnah?) (i think?) mentions a Jesus Pantera in it somewhere. he was noted as a healer. Jews of the 100 AD era would call upon Jesus Pantera for healing of the afflicted.
Greta

Post by Greta »

gaffo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 am

;-(.
Really, when it comes to history I prefer Mary Beard to war re-enactments. I'm more interested in how the little people lived than how the big people used little people to fight.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:18 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 am

;-(.
Really, when it comes to history I prefer Mary Beard to war re-enactments. I'm more interested in how the little people lived than how the big people used little people to fight.
undertood - esp since the latter is so depressing, still mad as hell over Iraqnam - 16 yrs latter (PNAC!!!). Abrams, Adelman, Feith, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Libby, Perle, Bush.......................why are none of these in jail?

--------WTF? how did i forget the mastermind? Chaney.

may he live forever - new heart - bastard should have died 50 yr ago with his first heart attack. h ahd what? 3 4? - now a nice new shiny heart for the guy............i'm geting pissed over the whole 1/4 million dead for nuthin in illegal war - and no one got locked up - and its now ancient history - and still gets my hackles up.