Why do Christians believe they have God on their side?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosopher

Why do Christians believe they have God on their side?

Post by philosopher »

According to Christianity, Jesus died on the cross, he was ressurrected and is expected to return some day to outdo evil in the world.

With countless evil deeds, like fascism, nazism, stalinism etc. now 2000 years after Jesus' supposedly ressurrection, why do Christians still believe in their deity being omnipotent+omnibenevolent?
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Why do Christians believe they have God on their side?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

They are compelled to believe in an illusory God subliminally by the primal 'perverted' existential forces.
If they don't believe God is on their side, they will be paralyzed with existential anxieties of being burnt in Hell eternally.

Theism by itself is not a serious issue.
The problem with theism is it is naturally imbued with evil elements that are claimed to be immutable. [evidently]
These immutable elements are feasted upon by unfortunate evil prone believers who will commit these God commanded evil acts [evidently] to feel secure of going to heaven and avoid Hell.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Did you forget your meds, VA?
osgart

Post by osgart »

They screwed up so bad in life they figure so did everybody else. And their God saves only sinners, so they specifically qualify for redemption.

I had a Christian tell me, " you know you did it, confess it to God". He did not know anything about me.

So basically they blow off people as sinners on the way to hell, if they reject their God. Talk about creating enemies. The mass assumption that everybody is just like them, a sinner in need of salvation because the bible says so.

Just turn a blind eye to any good some non believers are and do, and take up the cross. So what if they go to hell.
Thats the Christian attitude.
Greta

Post by Greta »

It helps clarify things if you think of religions as being like football clubs or political parties.

Each group is exclusively interested in looking after their own people and expanding their membership base, and they rail and struggle against their competition or anyone who gets in their way. So naturally religions are the only ones to have God on their side - that is their claim and part of the membership bait.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

My God. I thought this was a philosophy of religion forum, but all I see is a bunch of thumb-sucking bigots behaving like Democrats at the SCOTUS nominee hearings.
Last edited by Reflex on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:50 am They are compelled to believe in an illusory God subliminally by the primal 'perverted' existential forces.
If they don't believe God is on their side, they will be paralyzed with existential anxieties of being burnt in Hell eternally.

The problem with theism is it is naturally imbued with evil elements that are claimed to be immutable. [evidently]
These immutable elements are feasted upon by unfortunate evil prone believers who will commit these God commanded evil acts [evidently] to feel secure of going to heaven and avoid Hell.
This is all projection.

The question you need to ask yourself is do you believe your own projections? if you do, then it is you and only you that is manifesting your belief into the world. And then ask yourself, why would you want to create a world like that?

Also, if you believe in your own projections, then you are obviously going to project the impossibility of God, to soothe your own projected anxieties about what God means to you.

All these beliefs are born out of the misidentification with the wrong I ..the sense of separate ''me''

No other sentient creature alive creates this separation, if they did, they would be setting up their own churches of belief.

Veritas Aequitas

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:30 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:50 am They are compelled to believe in an illusory God subliminally by the primal 'perverted' existential forces.

This is all projection.

The question you need to ask yourself is do you believe your own projections? if you do, then it is you and only you that is manifesting your belief into the world. And then ask yourself, why would you want to create a world like that?

Also, if you believe in your own projections, then you are obviously going to project the impossibility of God, to soothe your own projected anxieties about what God means to you.

All these beliefs are born out of the misidentification with the wrong I ..the sense of separate ''me''

No other sentient creature alive creates this separation, if they did, they would be setting up their own churches of belief.
Note my inferences are based on empirical data.

If you read the texts of the Abrahamic religion, you will note the most critical element is that of soteriology and salvation, i.e. related to existential elements and perverted existential forces.

If one have read and listen to the clergy and ordinary believers you note the importance of salvation to the believers, i.e. the fear of mortality and the need to have eternal life.

Averroes just raised this common point of salvation here;
Averroes wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:50 pm You had asked for my help in you wanting me to help you and others get their salvation too.
And I accepted to offer my help to you and all those interested.

I also mentioned the fact that one day, we are all going to die.
In that too, there is no proselytizing as it is just a statement of a fact. Don’t you agree? The average life expectancy of a human being is around 27, 000 days; that is what statisticians have calculated. So, how much out of the 27,000 days have already gone by for you? Each day that passes each one of us is getting closer to the tomb. That is a fact that must be recognized, and I do not see any proselytizing in mentioning that too.
Btw, I did not ask him for any help, he just lying and inventing words.
My point is, the need for salvation is primary as the purpose of the Abrahamic religions and for the believers.

Show me where I am wrong in this?

In your case, you are merely speculating without evidence at all.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 amNote my inferences are based on empirical data.

If you read the texts of the Abrahamic religion, you will note the most critical element is that of soteriology and salvation, i.e. related to existential elements and perverted existential forces.

If one have read and listen to the clergy and ordinary believers you note the importance of salvation to the believers, i.e. the fear of mortality and the need to have eternal life.

All this is projection, there is nothing outside of you that is not your own projection. Or your interpretation of what's there.

There is no knowledge of anything except in this conception, the mentally created world of illusions.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

philosopher wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:05 pm According to Christianity, Jesus died on the cross, he was ressurrected and is expected to return some day to outdo evil in the world.

With countless evil deeds, like fascism, nazism, stalinism etc. now 2000 years after Jesus' supposedly ressurrection, why do Christians still believe in their deity being omnipotent+omnibenevolent?
''Silence is the language of God.
All else is a poor translation.''

Water asks itself, "Where did I come from?"

The same place as the question.

Where does the question come from?

No point in asking twice.

Walker

Post by Walker »

God is on everyone's side.

Folks just feel entitled to second guess.
Veritas Aequitas

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 amNote my inferences are based on empirical data.

All this is projection, there is nothing outside of you that is not your own projection. Or your interpretation of what's there.

There is no knowledge of anything except in this conception, the mentally created world of illusions.
Your point do not make any sense to the OP at all.

From one perspective, that "Christians believe they have God on their side" is also a projection. So what wrong if my points are also projections.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:31 am
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 am All this is projection, there is nothing outside of you that is not your own projection.
She is a spoilsport to discussion. She just wants to tell people HOW IT IS according to her. It's an ego thing. Nevermind the reality of her own stories and projections. She wants to be in the "telling" role, rather than connecting and interacting.

Regarding Christians believing they have God on their side... their beliefs would collapse without that, so perhaps it is actually their beliefs that are their "god". A god who is a god to everyone, wouldn't take sides. But how many people pray that God helps their team win? Despite all logic to the contrary, a lot of theists think God is uniquely "with them" -- so I think those theists are essentially imagining/creating their own personal god.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:31 am
Dontaskme wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 am

From one perspective, that "Christians believe they have God on their side" is also a projection. So what wrong if my points are also projections.
Nothing is wrong..I’m just saying that any thing known is a projection, an interpretation believed to be real. Any believed projection will inevitably manifest, albeit an illusion.
The ability to be able to Distinguish between the rope and the snake is all that’s needed to dispel illusion and see clarity for what it is, metaphorically speaking.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »