God is an Impossibility

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: God is an Impossibility

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am So,
  • P1. Absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real
    P2. God, imperatively must be absolutely perfect
    C. Therefore God is an impossibility to be real.

Can any theist or non-theist counter the above?
To be perfect is to be without flaws.
What is the flaw with water?
What is the flaw with the universe?
And from whose perspective?

Perfection is a value judgment. For some things that are abstract ideas, like circles, we can say it is unbelievably unlikely that there will ever be a perfect circle. Though, once you get to subatomic levels, who knows?
But why is this the only kind of perfection?
I cannot find a single flaw in the tree outside my window? I am not even sure what that would mean.

Further, why the redundant term absolute perfection?

And how does ANY of this rule out an unbelievably powerful entity that created the universe or is the universe and conscious?

It doesn't.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am P1. Absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real
Unless you define reality as "absolute perfection".

Pantheism falsifies your premise.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am P2. God, imperatively must be absolutely perfect
C. Therefore Reality is God.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Well said, he's a bit of a pushover for one that considers himself above the rationale of pretty much everyone on the forum.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:29 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am So,
  • P1. Absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real
    P2. God, imperatively must be absolutely perfect
    C. Therefore God is an impossibility to be real.

Can any theist or non-theist counter the above?
To be perfect is to be without flaws.
What is the flaw with water?
What is the flaw with the universe?
And from whose perspective?
Note there is a range of definition for 'perfection'.
the more appropriate definition in this case is
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/perfect
-excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement:

Can you show Pure Water [H20] exists as real?
Whatever is concluded from the empirical [science] is never absolutely-perfect as any scientist will attest for that.

As mentioned the above relate to relative-perfection, not absolute perfection.
All the above are from the human perspective, what other perspective can there be?
Perfection is a value judgment. For some things that are abstract ideas, like circles, we can say it is unbelievably unlikely that there will ever be a perfect circle. Though, once you get to subatomic levels, who knows?
I cannot find a single flaw in the tree outside my window? I am not even sure what that would mean.
I have been and still refreshing on Quantum Mechanics at present. There is no way for perfection to exists at the Quantum level since the fundamentals of QM is 'relations' and ultimately related to the human conditions which is never perfect.

And how does ANY of this rule out an unbelievably powerful entity that created the universe or is the universe and conscious?

It doesn't.
Read the OP again on why I differentiate between relative perfection and absolute-perfection.

It is possible for a human-liked powerful entity to have created the universe but it is subjected to be created by another more powerful than itself, thus leading to an infinite regression. As such it cannot be an absolute-perfect God. In this case it is a matter of producing the evidences to verify and justify its existence.

The point is the God of the theists has to be imperatively perfect absolutely.
Veritas Aequitas

Skepdick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:37 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am P1. Absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real
Unless you define reality as "absolute perfection".

Pantheism falsifies your premise.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am P2. God, imperatively must be absolutely perfect
C. Therefore Reality is God.
Unless??
It is stupid to define reality as 'absolute perfection'.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:35 am Unless??
Only by the same degree, it would be stupid to define anything as 'absolute perfection'.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

You know what's even dumber?

Defining "absolute perfection" in a way that has nothing to do with reality.
Veritas Aequitas

Skepdick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:43 am

Note my
P1. Absolute perfection is an impossibility to be real.
That is why it is dumber to think absolute perfection is possible to be real or realistic.

The point is theists insist their God is absolutely perfect and perfectly real.
This is why my OP argue, God is an impossibility to be real.
Not sure what you are fussing about.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:12 am Note my
That is why it is dumber to think absolute perfection is possible to be real or realistic.
Noted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:12 am
Skepdick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:43 am

Note my

The point is theists insist their God is absolutely perfect and perfectly real.
This is why my OP argue, God is an impossibility to be real.
Not sure what you are fussing about.
Pff, didn't realise you have interviewed all the theists across the globe, how daft of me.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:34 am Note there is a range of definition for 'perfection'.

Whatever is concluded from the empirical [science] is never absolutely-perfect as any scientist will attest for that.
From YOUR own definition 'excellent'
or
beyond practical improvement.
Batches of water as well as molecules of water meet one or both of these criteria. End of argument. Period.

How would you practically improve a molecule of water?
How is it not excellent?

All the above are from the human perspective, what other perspective can there be?
Well, great. From my perspective I have experienced all sorts of perfect water and perfect trees.
I have been and still refreshing on Quantum Mechanics at present. There is no way for perfection to exists at the Quantum level since the fundamentals of QM is 'relations' and ultimately related to the human conditions which is never perfect.
You really need to flesh that out, because there are so many missing steps, at best. It is also oddly anthropocentric. Perfection does not exist at the quantum level because it is about relations and ultimately related to human conditions? This is vague and then also false. Unless you think quantum relations did not exist before humans did, for example.

It doesn't.
Read the OP again on why I differentiate between relative perfection and absolute-perfection.
It is possible for a human-liked powerful entity to have created the universe but it is subjected to be created by another more powerful than itself, thus leading to an infinite regression.
This does not make sense. Something that might be true is treated as if it is necessarily true. Since there could possibly be an entity that is a more powerful creature....but there may be no more powerful creature. And this unimaginably powerful creature could be the god of the theists and they could be write in many or all things they say about it. Yes, some theologians run around spouting absolute, mathematical type qualities to deities. Perhaps they are incorrect about this, but there is a maker of the universe, who from our perspective is magically, unbelievably powerful and perhaps there is no other entity more powerful. So, you have proven nothing. It's like someone 'proving' that time and space are not relative before Einstein demonstrated and later testers confirmed that they are.

You confuse the memes in your head with reality. IOW you are doing something very much like what theists are accused by atheists of doing.
As such it cannot be an absolute-perfect God.
Doesn't matter. Many theists have believed in fallible deities or deities that are not so powerful they go beyond logic. Perhaps one of these deities exists. You are dependent on the beliefs of a certain kind of theologian. Or its a coincidence that you assume the same things as some of the mathematically obsessed theologians in the Abrahamic religions, and then use those religious assumptions against the existence of any deities. It's a good argument, potentially, though certainly not as presented with all the skipped steps, against a small subset of theists, but not as a general argument against the possible existence of a deity.
Sorry.

That is a ridiculous phrase and a warning should be that it begins with an adverb has and adjective in the middle and then ends with another adverb. It means nothing and is just an unfounded claim.

Note also the manipulative 'God of the theists'. IOW for some reason just using the word 'God' was skipped over. Why? Because it makes it easier because you are now talking about a meme, rather than the thing itself, a deity.

And nothing you have said rules out a deity. It's just you wouldn't respect such a deity. It would not be able to undo logic or might not be able to unmake itself, etc.

But while you are not respecting this deity, it might very well have created all the existent things and so on.

It is ultimately a very facile position. I am sorry to be harsh and there are many places where I get the impression that English is not your first language. But if that is the case, you need to know that you are often not using the language well and what you present as self.evident truths are actually your own theological assumptions, however it ironic it is that an atheist has these.

And you have been doing this for years, with exactly the same flaws and across various forums. And when it gets pointed out enough, you change your name and appear somewhere else.
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:03 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:34 am Note there is a range of definition for 'perfection'.

From YOUR own definition 'excellent'
or
beyond practical improvement.
Batches of water as well as molecules of water meet one or both of these criteria. End of argument. Period.

How is it not excellent?

Well, great. From my perspective I have experienced all sorts of perfect water and perfect trees.
You really need to flesh that out, because there are so many missing steps, at best. It is also oddly anthropocentric. Perfection does not exist at the quantum level because it is about relations and ultimately related to human conditions? This is vague and then also false. Unless you think quantum relations did not exist before humans did, for example.

It doesn't.
It is possible for a human-liked powerful entity to have created the universe but it is subjected to be created by another more powerful than itself, thus leading to an infinite regression.
This does not make sense. Something that might be true is treated as if it is necessarily true. Since there could possibly be an entity that is a more powerful creature....but there may be no more powerful creature. And this unimaginably powerful creature could be the god of the theists and they could be write in many or all things they say about it. Yes, some theologians run around spouting absolute, mathematical type qualities to deities. Perhaps they are incorrect about this, but there is a maker of the universe, who from our perspective is magically, unbelievably powerful and perhaps there is no other entity more powerful. So, you have proven nothing. It's like someone 'proving' that time and space are not relative before Einstein demonstrated and later testers confirmed that they are.

You confuse the memes in your head with reality. IOW you are doing something very much like what theists are accused by atheists of doing.
As such it cannot be an absolute-perfect God.
Doesn't matter. Many theists have believed in fallible deities or deities that are not so powerful they go beyond logic. Perhaps one of these deities exists. You are dependent on the beliefs of a certain kind of theologian. Or its a coincidence that you assume the same things as some of the mathematically obsessed theologians in the Abrahamic religions, and then use those religious assumptions against the existence of any deities. It's a good argument, potentially, though certainly not as presented with all the skipped steps, against a small subset of theists, but not as a general argument against the possible existence of a deity.
Sorry.

That is a ridiculous phrase and a warning should be that it begins with an adverb has and adjective in the middle and then ends with another adverb. It means nothing and is just an unfounded claim.

Note also the manipulative 'God of the theists'. IOW for some reason just using the word 'God' was skipped over. Why? Because it makes it easier because you are now talking about a meme, rather than the thing itself, a deity.

And nothing you have said rules out a deity. It's just you wouldn't respect such a deity. It would not be able to undo logic or might not be able to unmake itself, etc.

But while you are not respecting this deity, it might very well have created all the existent things and so on.

It is ultimately a very facile position. I am sorry to be harsh and there are many places where I get the impression that English is not your first language. But if that is the case, you need to know that you are often not using the language well and what you present as self.evident truths are actually your own theological assumptions, however it ironic it is that an atheist has these.

And you have been doing this for years, with exactly the same flaws and across various forums. And when it gets pointed out enough, you change your name and appear somewhere else.
So 'Iwannaplato' is that fussy person.
If you yourself did not post across various forums, how did you know I did? Hypocrite!
Anyway this is a frivolous point and you don't have the authority to dictate nor complain about others, especially when you are doing the same.
To comment and complain about such matter is very immature.

Explain what do you mean by Pure Water and Pure Tree.
Then explain how can you get to perfect pure water?

Let me give you an example.
A perfect circle is defined by a certain measurements.

Say this image is claimed to be a perfect circle in terms of the defined measurements.

You are only perceiving a 'perfect' circle in your mind.
If you expand the image 10,000 times you will not see a continuous line with measurements of a perfect circle but rather dots and pixels on the outer line.
If you connect all the dots you will get a zig-zag line which will not be circular.
The distance of each dot to the center will be different in micro lengths.

It is same with seeing a the Earth as a perfect ball thousands or millions of miles away. But if you get nearer the supposed perfect ball of Earth is not perfect at all.

It is the same with everything that exist, there is no such thing as perfection, i.e. perfect pure water, perfect tree, etc. What is 'perfect' is only held in your mind but not in reality.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Iwannaplato wrote:
How is it not excellent?
By substituting a better system for measuring .

Or by entering a world where water does not exist.

Or a world where there is nothing besides water.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am There are two types of perfection for philosophical consideration, i.e.
  • 1. Relative perfection
    2. Absolute perfection
You forgot one. "Perfect idiots."

This thread provides many examples.
Veritas Aequitas

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:28 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am There are two types of perfection for philosophical consideration, i.e.
  • 1. Relative perfection
    2. Absolute perfection
You forgot one. "Perfect idiots."
This thread provides many examples.
Self-declaration?
Perfect Idiots are those who are ignorant and stupid enough to post idiotic statements [one-liners] without rational, valid and sound arguments based on ignorance.
In Latin, idiota was borrowed in the meaning 'uneducated', 'ignorant',...
Wiki.