Youth Violence = Deprived OF Christian Values = Aggressive Secularism.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Youth Violence = Christian Values = Savage and sadistic terrorism

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:27 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:02 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm No.
Yes.
If you're trying to say that the average christian was as bad as a terrorist (if that's what you mean by an 'extremist') then still no. There is no point in history where the collective of any religion has never been as bad as ISIS. Posting a bible verse describing a group that were themselves considered extremists at the time, does not do that.

But maybe I misunderstood what you meant by an 'extremist'. You know how I misunderstand you, like, all the time.
It wasn't big enough back then to have 'average christians' and 'extremists'. Those concepts weren't even thought of. Christianity consisted entirely of 'extremist' sects.
Samazeuilh

Re: Youth Violence = Deprived OF Christian Values = Aggressive Secularism.

Post by Samazeuilh »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:17 pm Four Christian values:

Belief in God
Respect all people
Be humble
Be honest

Greta’s interpretation of Christian values

-no Muslims
- no fags
- no abortionists
- no women's libbers.

The results of progressive education.
Indeed. Let’s deal with her items, one by one. Firstly, Church leaders such as the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope have made plain their abhorrence of Islamophobia and many churches hold joint meetings with other religious leaders (including Muslims). The Churches are not anti-homosexual: there are are even gay Christian organisations. The Pope recently commented “who am I to judge” when asked to comment on homosexuality. The churches oppose abortion (as opposed to “abortionists”) as do many non-religious individuals. Feminism is not prohibited ,either, by the churches, although certain manifestations of it would be contrary to Christian doctrine. We can safely dismiss Greta’s comments as being written from a perspective of ignorance.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:27 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:02 pm
Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm No.
Yes.
If you're trying to say that the average christian was as bad as a terrorist (if that's what you mean by an 'extremist') then still no. There is no point in history where the collective of any religion has never been as bad as ISIS. Posting a bible verse describing a group that were themselves considered extremists at the time, does not do that.

But maybe I misunderstood what you meant by an 'extremist'. You know how I misunderstand you, like, all the time.
I don't 'try to say' anything. If it's not there then I haven't said it.
Samazeuilh

Post by Samazeuilh »

“In short, Christianity caused the “Dark Ages” by systematically destroying the classical world. “

A ridiculous comment. Historians now acknowledge that the so-called “Dark Ages” were a period of great cultural development. For example (from Wikipedia): “As the accomplishments of the era came to be better understood in the 18th and 20th centuries, scholars began restricting the "Dark Ages" appellation to the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century).The majority of modern scholars avoid the term altogether due to its negative connotations, finding it misleading and inaccurate. The original definition remains in popular use,and popular culture often employs it as a vehicle to depict the Middle Ages as a time of backwardness, extending its pejorative use and expanding its scope.”

The classical world did not collapse because of Christianity in the view of most historians (this view was, of course, held by Gibbon who is now regarded as old hat). For one thing, the Eastern Empire (where there were just as many Christians) didn’t collapse contemporaneously with the Western Empire.

“Driven by a hatred of science, Christians burned down the Great Library of Alexandria,”

Another absurd comment. The scientific revolution did not occur until centuries later- there was no science as we currently understand it in the classical world. Of course, the scientific revolution was carried out by scientists who were themselves Christians and stated that their work was inspired by their religious beliefs- Newton, Hooke to name just a couple.

The claim that the Christians burned down the Alexandrian Library is unevidenced baloney. From Wiki: “Sources differ on who was responsible for its destruction and when it occurred. The library may in truth have suffered several fires over many years. In addition to fires, at least one earthquake damaged the city and the library during this time. Possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria include a fire set by the army of Julius Caesar in 48 BC and an attack by Aurelian in the 270s AD.”

In short, I suggest that you need to read the scholarly work in this area to better inform yourself. Perhaps you have picked up some of your misconceptions from popular atheist websites.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

All a bit ironic really as I thought the Christians were aiming to slaughter billions in the end and enslave what's left with a rod of iron?
vegetariantaxidermy

Samazeuilh wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:43 am “In short, Christianity caused the “Dark Ages” by systematically destroying the classical world. “

A ridiculous comment. Historians now acknowledge that the so-called “Dark Ages” were a period of great cultural development. For example (from Wikipedia): “As the accomplishments of the era came to be better understood in the 18th and 20th centuries, scholars began restricting the "Dark Ages" appellation to the Early Middle Ages (c. 5th–10th century).The majority of modern scholars avoid the term altogether due to its negative connotations, finding it misleading and inaccurate. The original definition remains in popular use,and popular culture often employs it as a vehicle to depict the Middle Ages as a time of backwardness, extending its pejorative use and expanding its scope.”

The classical world did not collapse because of Christianity in the view of most historians (this view was, of course, held by Gibbon who is now regarded as old hat). For one thing, the Eastern Empire (where there were just as many Christians) didn’t collapse contemporaneously with the Western Empire.

“Driven by a hatred of science, Christians burned down the Great Library of Alexandria,”

Another absurd comment. The scientific revolution did not occur until centuries later- there was no science as we currently understand it in the classical world. Of course, the scientific revolution was carried out by scientists who were themselves Christians and stated that their work was inspired by their religious beliefs- Newton, Hooke to name just a couple.

The claim that the Christians burned down the Alexandrian Library is unevidenced baloney. From Wiki: “Sources differ on who was responsible for its destruction and when it occurred. The library may in truth have suffered several fires over many years. In addition to fires, at least one earthquake damaged the city and the library during this time. Possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria include a fire set by the army of Julius Caesar in 48 BC and an attack by Aurelian in the 270s AD.”

In short, I suggest that you need to read the scholarly work in this area to better inform yourself. Perhaps you have picked up some of your misconceptions from popular atheist websites.
Oooh. From Wiki no less. Of course christians are going go deny it. What do you mean 'as we know it'? How are you defining 'science'?
Twit.

https://www.thoughtco.com/ancient-greek ... ies-120966
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 pmIt wasn't big enough back then to have 'average christians' and 'extremists'. Those concepts weren't even thought of. Christianity consisted entirely of 'extremist' sects.
"There was no christian extremism"

"Christian extremism was the only thing there was"

Still want to retain this strict epistemological view where there is apparently no such thing as interpretation, or can I assume what "you were trying to say" wasn't something that inherently contradicts itself?
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Why do I get the feeling that Nick_A has created a bunch of alternate accounts?
Greta

Post by Greta »

The Churches are not anti-homosexual: there are are even gay Christian organisations. The Pope recently commented “who am I to judge” when asked to comment on homosexuality. The churches oppose abortion (as opposed to “abortionists”) as do many non-religious individuals. Feminism is not prohibited ,either, by the churches, although certain manifestations of it would be contrary to Christian doctrine.
A weak, disingenuous posting. The above is dishonest (and somewhat contemptuous is its blatant transparency), presenting the views of the very most liberal church leaders in history as typical of the organisations, ignoring the history and latency of history, with the persistence of illogical and toxic discriminatory behaviours and attitudes.

Ironic that he claims credit on behalf of theism for what were great triumphs of enlightened humanism over Christianity's long and dark history of victimising women, gays and Muslims.

Note that the majority church conservatives deeply disapprove of this move towards greater liberalism. So the "God hates fags" placards multiply, the abortion clinic attacks and harassment continue and Christian Muslim baiting and denigration continues.

As I have said so often, lying and deceit is a standard device of hominids. When I was young, most people believed Christians to be more honest and reliable than others. Then came the exposure of Christian antigay leaders caught in homosexual dealings: https://www.advocate.com/politics/polit ... -gay-or-bi and reports of widespread church institutional child sexual: https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.g ... stitutions.

Consider how many "honest Christians" must have declined to speak out or lied to hide the abuse so as to save the Church's reputation. The moral pedestal on which Christians elevate themselves is an obvious delusion.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 am Why do I get the feeling that Nick_A has created a bunch of alternate accounts?
I was thinking the same thing.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Youth Violence = Christian Values

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 am Why do I get the feeling that Nick_A has created a bunch of alternate accounts?
No, there is only one me. Regardless of popular opinion, Greta and I are two distinctly different posters.

But while I have you here, let me ask you what you think Jesus' mission was on earth and what the purpose of Christianity is?

Christianity is one of those words like art which to have any meaning, must discriminate by quality. Without such discrimination all that is left is arguments over opinions about what is not understood.

If people don't know Jesus' mission and the purpose of Christianity arguments are just naive.

It is the same with art. Without at least the theoretical acceptance of objective quality as a necessary aspect of art, arguments are meaningless.

I heard today that a person won the right to change his birth certificate from male to female so he could save $98. on car insurance. So if a person creates their own reality and a person claims to be Christian, they are Christian or if they claim to be an artist, then they are an artist.

Nothing proves the lack of collective humility more then the exaggeration of how many Christians and artists are alive in the world.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Nick_A wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:13 am
No, there is only one me. Regardless of popular opinion, Greta and I are two distinctly different posters.
Ha, that's cute. 'Cute' similarly to the way that my autistic cousin I was telling you about just goes on and on about the lore of 'How to Train Your Dragon"

But in spite of any mental disability, I actually think you understood what I meant, here.
But while I have you here, let me ask you what you think Jesus' mission was on earth and what the purpose of Christianity is?

Christianity is one of those words like art which to have any meaning, must discriminate by quality. Without such discrimination all that is left is arguments over opinions about what is not understood.

If people don't know Jesus' mission and the purpose of Christianity arguments are just naive.

It is the same with art. Without at least the theoretical acceptance of objective quality as a necessary aspect of art, arguments are meaningless.

I heard today that a person won the right to change his birth certificate from male to female so he could save $98. on car insurance. So if a person creates their own reality and a person claims to be Christian, they are Christian or if they claim to be an artist, then they are an artist.

Nothing proves the lack of collective humility more then the exaggeration of how many Christians and artists are alive in the world.
Your post goes from "let me ask you about Jesus' mission," to "Christianity is sort of like art," to "This is how art works," to "Someone changed his gender identity to save money on car insurance".

You tend to find excuses to say whatever you want to say, and right now I'm just very confused. What does this all have to do with the topic?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote
Indeed, boys are much more quiet and manageable after priests have given them some "loving religious discipline", demonstrating to them how the holy spirit penetrates us all.
Typical Greta. She is concerned and rightfully so about sexual abuse and boys getting nailed in the ass by priests.

But spirit killing accomplished by young people getting nailed in the heart by psycho/spiritual abuse perpetrated in secular institutions of child abuse is applauded as necessary and justifiable to serve their god; the Great Beast..It doesn't matter that they are starved to experience meaning but given violent video games to replace the human need for meaning. The spirit killers are only concerned with destroying the attraction to eros in order for the victims to become servants of the Great Beast.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:47 am
Nick_A wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:13 am
Ha, that's cute. 'Cute' similarly to the way that my autistic cousin I was telling you about just goes on and on about the lore of 'How to Train Your Dragon"

But in spite of any mental disability, I actually think you understood what I meant, here.

Your post goes from "let me ask you about Jesus' mission," to "Christianity is sort of like art," to "This is how art works," to "Someone changed his gender identity to save money on car insurance".

You tend to find excuses to say whatever you want to say, and right now I'm just very confused. What does this all have to do with the topic?
The topic is how the loss of Christian values leads to violence. I read you and others attacking what you don't understand. It doesn't only happen with Christianity but in other concepts such as art. So I was curious if you understood what you are rebelling against. If you don't know Jesus mission or the purpose of Christianity, you re only fighting windmills. Under these circumstances you cannot understand why and how the young are harmed by the loss of Christian values.