Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Scholars think so and so do I.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Scriptures warn against idol worship yet that is exactly what Christian and Muslims do.

If you can talk about or name your God, you are an idolater. Do you realize that?

God is often thought of as an ideal.

I think that atheists would also fit into the idolater description because they idolize the notion that there is no God and have chosen that as their ideal.

Agnostics seem to be the only ones who are not idolaters because, like Gnostic Christians, they do not mind saying, I don’t know or only speaking of things they know to be facts.

Regards
DL
surreptitious57

Re: Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Post by surreptitious57 »

Agnostic atheists do not idolise the notion of there being no God because they do not know whether or not he exists
Gnostic Christians definitely think he exists and so would not say they do not know but their belief is not fact based
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:34 pm Agnostic atheists do not idolise the notion of there being no God because they do not know whether or not he exists
Gnostic Christians definitely think he exists and so would not say they do not know but their belief is not fact based
Agnostic atheist is not how I have ever seen someone describe themselves. Atheists tend to have a closed mind on God while the agnostic says he does not know one way or the other. They are on the fence while atheists have chosen a side.

As to Gnostic Christians, we are esoteric ecumenists with no supernatural belief so we do not use the term God to mean a supernatural entity.

There is a bit of wiggle room in the definitions of atheist and agnostic but one tends not to want to be labeled by the other label.

Atheist is seen more as anti-theist while agnostic are seekers who have yet to find. They are on the fence while atheists have taken a the side of non-existence.

Regards
DL
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greatest I am wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:34 pm Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Scriptures warn against idol worship yet that is exactly what Christian and Muslims do.

If you can talk about or name your God, you are an idolater. Do you realize that?

I think that atheists would also fit into the idolater description because they idolize the notion that there is no God and have chosen that as their ideal.

Agnostics seem to be the only ones who are not idolaters because, like Gnostic Christians, they do not mind saying, I don’t know or only speaking of things they know to be facts.

Regards
DL
hi snake!

don't think so. maybe Catholics if one is an a fundie minded prot.

otherwise nope.

Muslims and Jews are strick in thier views WRT to this. no graven images.

of course we have the Alawites and Ahmadiyya heretics - muslim mormans following false prophets............but that is for another thread.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:34 pm Agnostic atheists do not idolise the notion of there being no God because they do not know whether or not he exists
Gnostic worship the mother goddess Sophia.

YHWH is just another greater Belial to Gnostics,

there are no Gnostics BTW (sorry Snake) -the pope kill off the last of them in southern France 900 yrs ago.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greatest I am wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 pm
Agnostic atheist is not how I have ever seen someone describe themselves. Atheists tend to have a closed mind on God while the agnostic says he does not know one way or the other. They are on the fence while atheists have chosen a side.

As to Gnostic Christians, we are esoteric ecumenists with no supernatural belief so we do not use the term God to mean a supernatural entity.

There is a bit of wiggle room in the definitions of atheist and agnostic but one tends not to want to be labeled by the other label.

Atheist is seen more as anti-theist while agnostic are seekers who have yet to find. They are on the fence while atheists have taken a the side of non-existence.

Regards
DL
lol you the last albigensian snake?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Greatest I am wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Agnostic atheists do not idolise the notion of there being no God because they do not know whether or not he exists
Agnostic atheist is not how I have ever seen someone describe themselves
Atheists tend to have a closed mind on God while the agnostic says he does not know one way or the other
They are on the fence while atheists have chosen a side

Atheist is seen more as anti theist while agnostic are seekers who have yet to find
They are on the fence while atheists have taken a the side of non existence
Many atheists like myself describe themselves as agnostic atheists because we do not know whether or not God exists
I think he does not exist simply because there is no evidence for him but I cannot be absolutely certain of that though
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:54 am
Greatest I am wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Atheists tend to have a closed mind on God while the agnostic says he does not know one way or the other

Atheist is seen more as anti theist while agnostic are seekers who have yet to find
Many atheists like myself describe themselves as agnostic atheists because we do not know whether or not God exists
I think he does not exist simply because there is no evidence for him but I cannot be absolutely certain of that though
yes, me too. its much to do about nothing really. symantics.

I dislike "agnostic" label and view it as fence sitters (like the Christians that are such out of fear of Hell - "just in case" - so as not go to Hell).

fine with anyone that want to label themselves whatever.

for me I'm an Athiest and have been since 12 (1978) - not "at war" with God - hope if he IS he is Good and has mercy upon me.

nonetheless i'm not fixated upon either His mercy nor His non-existance (being born in a non-christian family never had the "Rebellion complex" some "athiests" are stuck in (that silly war with their God they deny)).

for me it irrelavent utterly.

i'll die, and if i'm wrong and God IS and that God is as the Canolical Bible Dogma says He is - then i go to Hell forever.

if HE is, but nicer, then maybe I get out of Hell after time severed.

either way I'll stand before Him (assuming I'm wrong) and plead my case - ok with my fate either way (pissed at God of course if have to be in hell forever - but i'll have company at least).

of course there is no afterlife and so when i die there will be no hell nor "standing before" god to any trial.

lol.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greatest I am wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 pm...atheists would also fit into the idolater description because they idolize the notion that there is no God and have chosen that as their ideal...
Although I agree with you about THEISTS being idol worshippers... and the irony of that -- I think you're being extreme to make such statements about atheists...

How does NOT believing in something (as others might) make one "idolize that notion"? It's simply a lack of belief. Are there things you lack belief in, and do you idolize your lack of belief in those things?
...Atheists tend to have a closed mind on God
Are you taking into consideration that a LOT of atheists were raised in the church when they were young, and then they made-up their own mind as adults about what they saw as true? How is that having "a closed mind"? Furthermore, if someone has had no prior exposure to a particular god, and then when they hear about it, they think it sounds ridiculous... how does that indicate a closed mind? What would you have them do?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

As an Athiest I wish to speak for the silent majority here!!!!!!!!!!

yes i think most Athiest are products of household that NEVER went to church nor were our parents Christian/etc............

it is only assumed that most Athiests (IMO - i'd say 1/5th or so) are "at war with God" and a product of a strick funie upbringing.

they are LOUD - so you only hear from them - but they are the minority.

-------

"We" are the majority "out there" - though not at war with your God so no seen by "beleivers" much.

its not our fight.

BTW - I bet you didn't know (but its TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - in the HEART of WAHHABBIST Islam (Saudi Arabia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - 1/5 of the 60 mllion living there are AGNOSTIC/ATHIESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

but you never heard that on Faux "News" did you? all "mooslims" are rabid bombers..............etc, fear fear fear + ratings ratings ratings.

through not reality!

yep millions of Arabs living in the heart of Islam doubt or deny Allah exists.

of course sadly they have to remain silent about their dissbelief - valuing their heads (hyperbolly - SA would not "kill them" - but would make their life miserable probably (or a rabid fundie neighbor might kill you and the State turn a blind eye).
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

gaffo wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:40 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:34 pm Are Christians, Muslims and atheists idolaters?

Regards
DL
hi snake!

don't think so. maybe Catholics if one is an a fundie minded prot.

otherwise nope.

Muslims and Jews are strick in thier views WRT to this. no graven images.

of course we have the Alawites and Ahmadiyya heretics - muslim mormans following false prophets............but that is for another thread.
They all have a mental picture that they idol worship.

That must have escaped you.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

gaffo wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:43 am
Gnostic worship the mother goddess Sophia.

YHWH is just another greater Belial to Gnostics,

there are no Gnostics BTW (sorry Snake) -the pope kill off the last of them in southern France 900 yrs ago.
There is nothing supernatural, like Sophia, in our belief system.

You mistake our myths, which we know are myths, for our beliefs. Sophia is a part of our myth.

Gnostic Christians are free thinkers and free thinking will never die out. Man's evolution would never allow.

Prior to Christians and Muslims becoming literal readers of their myths, the ancients had a much better way of reading scriptures and seeking God. God then was described more like the best rules and laws to live life by. Please view this short link.

Our myths were specifically written to put against the Christian myth before they foolishly started reading their myths literally. That mistake led to 1,000 years of the Dark Age of Inquisitions against free thought and freedom of religions.

This short link speaks of that transition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:54 am
Greatest I am wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:

Thinking God does not exist is you taking the atheist view.

Agnostics do not take a side and say they do not know and not, like you, think or say God does not exist.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Lacewing wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 am
Greatest I am wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 pm...atheists would also fit into the idolater description because they idolize the notion that there is no God and have chosen that as their ideal...
Although I agree with you about THEISTS being idol worshippers... and the irony of that -- I think you're being extreme to make such statements about atheists...

How does NOT believing in something (as others might) make one "idolize that notion"? It's simply a lack of belief. Are there things you lack belief in, and do you idolize your lack of belief in those things?
I do in the Gnostic Christian way yes. As an esoteric ecumenist, I idol worship the notion that there is no such thing as a supernatural realm or entities. Being a Gnostic Christian and esoteric ecumenist, my ideal of accepting any new knowledge, even should something come out of the supernatural, makes me eager to shed my idol worship of free thinking and non-belief in the supernatural.

The supernatural, to me, if it existed, would mean that we are al just toys in some entities toy box. That would be quite depressing. No?
...Atheists tend to have a closed mind on God
Are you taking into consideration that a LOT of atheists were raised in the church when they were young, and then they made-up their own mind as adults about what they saw as true? How is that having "a closed mind"? Furthermore, if someone has had no prior exposure to a particular god, and then when they hear about it, they think it sounds ridiculous... how does that indicate a closed mind? What would you have them do?
Follow their bliss.

What they did before becoming atheists is not relevant to me. I live in the here and now and not in the past.

I am just pleased that they got out of their vile religions. I am somewhat peeved that atheists are not more militant the way Gnostic Christians tend to be. We try to fight poor thinking and the evils of religions more than atheists do.

Regards
DL
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greatest I am wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 am How does NOT believing in something (as others might) make one "idolize that notion"? It's simply a lack of belief. Are there things you lack belief in, and do you idolize your lack of belief in those things?
I do in the Gnostic Christian way yes. As an esoteric ecumenist, I idol worship the notion that there is no such thing as a supernatural realm or entities.
So, you're making a generalized statement about atheists based on your own way of being? Again, I think you're really stretching the idea of idol worship into a zone of meaninglessness. :)
Greatest I am wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 pm The supernatural, to me, if it existed, would mean that we are al just toys in some entities toy box. That would be quite depressing. No?
I guess it depends on what you think "supernatural" is. For me, supernatural refers to natural realms that we may not normally see or be aware of because they are not limited to our dense, physical structure and definitions. It makes total sense to me that there is much beyond what we perceive.

The idea of a god being somehow distinguishable from all of it, does NOT make sense to me. However there could be entities of broader capability and awareness than humans! I see no reason to think that humans are some sort of pinnacle of creation in the Universe. That sounds like human ego. If I am a toy in some greater entity's box... that does NOT depress me. My life/experience is whatever it is -- it feels like a gift and an opportunity to me, and I continually strive to enjoy it as much as possible and to make the best of it that I can. I do not NEED TO KNOW anything more, in order to do that much. Recognizing the vast creativity and flows of nature shows me the world I belong to and the expansive potential I have within that. Awesome!
Greatest I am wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:40 pm What they did before becoming atheists is not relevant to me. I live in the here and now and not in the past.
So why do you think they have closed minds? If you don't consider what they have already considered, and you acknowledge that they should "follow their bliss", how do you come to the generalized conclusion that atheists have closed minds?

Are you just making provocative statements without thinking them through or being willing to explore your faulty reasoning? :P

If you want to talk about idol worship... how about talking about the way humans worship their own egos and ideas? (Even to the point of creating religions and gods to reflect and exalt themselves above all of creation?)