God or Man: the Source of Higher Values

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: God or Man: the Source of Higher Values

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am
Greta wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 amThe mess appears to me like a work in progress, still yet to be organised...
That’s a valid point even though it seems the more we know without the time to digest causes more mental constipation and confusion becoming ever more insidious to ourselves and the planet. At this time in particular the paradigms of "progress" demand to be examined where once it was only the individual.
The problem ultimately is tribalism - the resentment of competition in an overcrowded world, as evidenced above with tribal notions of "secularists" and theists. The focus on shallow infighting rather than the broader existential situation prevents effective action. Much is said about "higher values" in the theoretical realm, but those most fervent seem to be the least likely to actually subscribe to them.

While extremists of all types are prospering today, I think they are on the way out - that the future will increasingly belong to moderate thinkers. With the aid of powerful machine logic, the claims of those interested in fostering division will increasingly lose their power to convince as their ideas look ever more uncentred and insufficiently reasoned.
Dubious wrote:
Greta wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 amIt's all about those damnable humans continuing to not live up to expectations, isn't it? Yet, laughable as it may seem, for all we know we humans may be ahead of the curve morally as compared with intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.
Not laughable at all! That thought often came to me mainly in those moments of regarding the human species as one of the most execrable creations in the galaxy occupying the landfill area of it; but it was never a singular conclusion. The thought that there could be worse inevitably followed simply as a more sinister extension of ourselves.
I think the awfulness of humans is simply the awfulness of life. It's the animal within that commits the atrocities - that is selfish, short sighted, atavistic and unreasonable. It's the human side that is more responsive to reason. We live in a system were growth becomes stagnation without destruction, where matter eats itself in order to survive and grow. The only way out that I see is for humans to transcend biology and largely lock themselves away from the Earth's energy cycles, either though advanced VR immersion or shifting off world.

Of course various mystics and new agers talk about humans becoming wise and reasonable through God. It's true on an individual level or on a small scale that people can grow to become better people quite rapidly, but it's a fantasy en masse, applied to seven billion people of various cultural groups. Improved ethics is no doubt part of the solution/s, but ethics mean little with an empty belly, illustrating the fundamental problem of needing to extract energy from other life forms to survive.
Dubious wrote:
Greta wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 amWe have no other examples with which to compare ourselves.
Definitely a handicap. Even when we default to comparing very different civilizations in all ages the differences are minimal human nature being what it is.

Based on our solitary confinement the future depends on thinking and examining from an inside-out perspective not only being right but as importantly being in time; late metanoias rarely help but do cause a lot of regret. Also, there are always clues and feedback in spite of receiving only CMB signals from the universe at large. But as in any chess game, the pawns are usually the first to get removed from the grand cosmic chessboard...the ultimate playing field.
The inside out perspective that we are forced to adopt is akin to a child growing up without role models and, as you say, the problems of humanity keep repeating, changing form, with mental and ethical progress being increasingly concentrated and patchy. Societies are maturing unevenly, with ever greater class divisions emerging. Like piglets, the largest gain best access to the best "teats" while runts are pushed aside to starve.
Last edited by Greta on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

From the link I previously posted on Jacob Needleman’s description of the conscious universe.
Looked at in this way, we may conclude that the practice of modern science is based on a demand for human fragmentation, the division between thought and feeling. Searching for an outer unity, the scientist demands of himself an inner disunity. Perhaps "demands" is not the right word. We should simply say that in his practice the scientist endorses the division and inner fragmentation from which all of us suffer in our daily lives.

We now see why a conscious universe makes no sense to modern science. In the ancient teachings, higher mind or consciousness is never identified with thought associations, no matter how ingenious they may be. If these teachings speak of levels of reality higher than human thought, they are referring, among other things, to an order of intelligence that is inclusive of thought. Consciousness is another word for this power of active relationship or inclusion. Can the power to include ever be understood through a process of internal division and exclusion? Fascinated by the activity of thinking, and drawn to it to the extent of psychological lopsidedness, is it any wonder that we modern scientific men almost never directly experience in ourselves that quality of force which used to be called the Active Intellect, and which in the medieval cosmic scheme was symbolized by a great circle that included the entire created universe?
The tribe Greta is a part of sustains itself through fragmentation; through the separation of thought and feeling. This tribe believes that thought enables recognition of higher values. It cannot. Feelings reveals objective quality and the source of of human feelings as opposed to animal and negative emotion arising from below, comes from above.

Where scientific knowledge grows with knowledge of the results of natural laws, emotional intelligence grows through the experience of the third dimension of thought which provides experiential objective value defined by relation to our source. The third dimension of thought is the vertical extension of objective quality for the flat duality of science.

This tribe is becoming more dominant in its attempt to eliminate the experience of the third dimension of thought in the young. Fortunately there are influences in the world which can offer the alternative to surrendering to spiritual death. Some who need them can find them. They are indeed fortunate when they do. They will grow to experience that becoming able to receive from above and giving to below will reveal how technology can be put into a human perspective in which machines serve man rather than Man serving machines. The challenge of the future: the great Beast armed with technology vs Human beings becoming skilled with conscious attention enabling new eyes to see and ears to hear in the quest to become themselves.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

What Needleman writes makes him out to be an utter idiot...or maybe not! He may just depend on idiots to deliver his paycheck! If there would be some "higher" dimension you all write about and could possibly disappear in permanently would cause more relief than regret. Manage that and we'll collectively agree on your enlightenment...as long as you don't come back!

God!! are you idiots ever tiresome...and the same bullshit keeps recycling!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:42 amThe tribe Greta is a part of sustains itself through fragmentation; through the separation of thought and feeling.
Nick, you have done some reading and have a broad vocabulary, but you seem to be incapable of comprehending the written word. So, in lieu of understanding, you waste the forum's bandwith with these mindless pot shots.

Re: the quoted Needleman idea:
If these teachings speak of levels of reality higher than human thought, they are referring, among other things, to an order of intelligence that is inclusive of thought.
I have long felt that consciousness was a subset of a broader phenomenon (that I dubbed The Reactivity Spectrum), but there is no point pursuing the idea or sharing thoughts with you because you have proven over the years that you cannot be trusted to debate in good spirit. I have been "bitten" by you too many times.

All that happens is you ignore what I say and replace it with shallow stereotypes of a "typical secularist". Then I finally get frustrated and lash out, after which you triumphantly announce, "See? A typical secularist. No substance. All they can do is lash out".

No point playing that game. It's childish, a bore for everyone but you, and an abuse of the free bandwidth provided by forum owners.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm
A curious thing about the modern secular mind is that it preaches acceptance of outer differences in people like gender and color but does what it can to destroy those whose inner difference from them makes them uneasy.
Yeah, I know, it's funny how that happens, it's like double standards, in that the modern secular mind rejects the meta mind that preaches the higher consciousness, aka the 'God self' yet goes on to idolise their own set of beliefs. But this is all what mind does when it starts to believe it is the one in control where it has overall authority over what constitutes truth, when in truth the mind is just an appearance in you and is not who you are, mind is just the story of you. While the real you does not have any preferences or differences or cares about being anything other than ''what is'' already which is pure freedom to be in every moment. And that freedom is not a thing, gender or colour, or race, or any thing at all...all this mind narrative belongs to the dream, here today and gone tomorrow, while what you are is total unchanging eternal freedom in which all these arisings come and go.

But these are just my thoughts Nick, not saying they are of absolute certainty of how things are, it's just my vision of reality. An opinion only.

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 am
Nick_A wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:30 pm
A curious thing about the modern secular mind is that it preaches acceptance of outer differences in people like gender and color but does what it can to destroy those whose inner difference from them makes them uneasy.
Yeah, I know, it's funny how that happens, it's like double standards, in that the modern secular mind rejects the meta mind that preaches the higher consciousness, aka the 'God self' yet goes on to idolise their own set of beliefs. But this is all what mind does when it starts to believe it is the one in control where it has overall authority over what constitutes truth, when in truth the mind is just an appearance in you and is not who you are, mind is just the story of you. While the real you does not have any preferences or differences or cares about being anything other than ''what is'' already which is pure freedom to be in every moment. And that freedom is not a thing, gender or colour, or race, or any thing at all...all this mind narrative belongs to the dream, here today and gone tomorrow, while what you are is total unchanging eternal freedom in which all these arisings come and go.

But these are just my thoughts Nick, not saying they are of absolute certainty of how things are, it's just my vision of reality. An opinion only.

You seem to be describing something very similar to what Malcolm Muggeridge wrote
"One of the great weaknesses of the progressive, as distinct from the religious, mind, is that it has no awareness of truth as such; only of truth in terms of enlightened expediency." ~ Muggeridge Through the Microphone (1969)
I'm on my way out but will return to it later. But one thing I'd like to caution you about is the idea of God mind and how it translates into modern New Age philosophy as "I am God."

Consider again how Prof. Needleman described our situation
We now see why a conscious universe makes no sense to modern science. In the ancient teachings, higher mind or consciousness is never identified with thought associations, no matter how ingenious they may be. If these teachings speak of levels of reality higher than human thought, they are referring, among other things, to an order of intelligence that is inclusive of thought. Consciousness is another word for this power of active relationship or inclusion.
The secular atheist asserts that complexity of thoughts and associated reactions create consciousness while the universalist knows that consciousness is pure affirmation which includes the interacting duality of affirmation and denial creating "things"or the contents of reactive consciousness within it at a lower level of reality. I think we disagree in that you see this level of conscious affirmation as God while I see it as an expression of a level of reality within God, a part of our collective self. In other words, our higher part isn't God.

Don't take this wrong because I'm not referring to good or bad but just hypothesis. This idea that "I am god" is really demonic. The devil thought himself God as well. It creates an obstacle in the inner path towards conscious evolution. The problem is keeping the path open and idolatry is a powerful way of closing it. Again, I'm not referring to good and bad but just a comment concerning the human condition.

We agree that the secular mind seeks to close the inner path to conscious evolution in favor of debating imagined "enlightened expediency." Our task is how to keep the inner path open in ourselves by sustaining a quality of consciousness that doesn't get sucked into the chaos of the world but remains above it much like the Ark remained above the raging waters. This doesn't happen by denial but rather by consciously witnessing the horrors the world produces while remaining conscious of our source and getting help from above through the light of grace for the sake of conscious evolution rather than imagining ourselves as God.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pmI'm on my way out but will return to it later. But one thing I'd like to caution you about is the idea of God mind and how it translates into modern New Age philosophy as "I am God."
Nick, Maybe it's the way I write down my thoughts,and how those ideas are translated by others, but when I was referring to the 'god self' what I meant by that is the 'inner man' not the man who is concerned with material wealth and all things external. I meant the part of man that has an inner peace one who aligns himself with the will of source. I personally don't know what god is, but what I do know is that there is a god aka a rational intelligent mind working through the whole dynamic that is life as we know it.

Just to clarify.

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:36 am
Nick_A wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pmI'm on my way out but will return to it later. But one thing I'd like to caution you about is the idea of God mind and how it translates into modern New Age philosophy as "I am God."
Nick, Maybe it's the way I write down my thoughts,and how those ideas are translated by others, but when I was referring to the 'god self' what I meant by that is the 'inner man' not the man who is concerned with material wealth and all things external. I meant the part of man that has an inner peace one who aligns himself with the will of source. I personally don't know what god is, but what I do know is that there is a god aka a rational intelligent mind working through the whole dynamic that is life as we know it.

Just to clarify.

A simple misunderstanding. You seem to be describing higher cosciousness for Man which isn't really the God mind which I know of as the unity of three in one. No harm, no foul :)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:19 pm

A simple misunderstanding. You seem to be describing higher cosciousness for Man which isn't really the God mind which I know of as the unity of three in one. No harm, no foul :)
I guess I agree with the Hindu interpretation of what constitutes the God concept...even though I am not from that eastern area ..I'm from England.

Hindus believe that there is one true god, the supreme spirit, called Brahman. Brahman has many forms, pervades the whole universe, and is symbolised by the sacred syllable Om (or Aum). Most Hindus believe that Brahman is present in every person as the eternal spirit or soul, called the atman.

My belief, is that we each have a God of our own understanding Nick, since we are all unique in the way we perceive reality, and how we understand things, especially when it comes to the transcendental ideas that pop up when we are in the deep thoughtless state. What I have personally discovered is when I go into that space of pure awareness that I AM...all the questions to who I AM are answered in that quite silent space. And no other person can know what comes up in my space, because my space is unique to me only.We can only know the God of our own understanding. Sometimes we meet other people with the exact same beliefs which is great, but then other people will have different ideas about God.

But another belief I hold to, is that all these different stories and beliefs about God are all sourced from the same place, and that place is RIGHT HERE NOW - NOWHERE.

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:09 pm
Nick_A wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:19 pm

I guess I agree with the Hindu interpretation of what constitutes the God concept...even though I am not from that eastern area ..I'm from England.

Hindus believe that there is one true god, the supreme spirit, called Brahman. Brahman has many forms, pervades the whole universe, and is symbolised by the sacred syllable Om (or Aum). Most Hindus believe that Brahman is present in every person as the eternal spirit or soul, called the atman.

My belief, is that we each have a God of our own understanding Nick, since we are all unique in the way we perceive reality, and how we understand things, especially when it comes to the transcendental ideas that pop up when we are in the deep thoughtless state. What I have personally discovered is when I go into that space of pure awareness that I AM...all the questions to who I AM are answered in that quite silent space. And no other person can know what comes up in my space, because my space is unique to me only.We can only know the God of our own understanding. Sometimes we meet other people with the exact same beliefs which is great, but then other people will have different ideas about God.

But another belief I hold to, is that all these different stories and beliefs about God are all sourced from the same place, and that place is RIGHT HERE NOW - NOWHERE

Our difference is in our sense of scale but that is no big problem. For example you appreciate the differnce between the outer sensual Man and the inner spiritual Man. Many don't. This is why the question of the origin of higher values is hard to agree on. Perspectives are different. This page would be difficult for some but I think it will just be normal for you. Consider the beginning:

http://maverickphilosopher.typepad.com/ ... do-83.html
To understand Simone Weil, you must understand her beloved master, Plato. So let's interpret a passage from the Phaedo, and then compare it to some statements of Weil.

At St. 83 we read, "...the perceptions of the eye, and the ear, and the the senses are full of deceit." The point is presumably not that the senses are sometimes nonveridical, but that they tie us to a world that is not ultimately real, and that distracts us from the one that is. The point is not epistemological but axiological and ontological. It is not that the senses are unreliable, whether episodically or globally, in respect of the information they provide us about an external world of spatiotemporal particulars. They are reliable enough in providing us such information. The point is rather that the senses deceive us into conferring high value on what is of low value, and into taking as ultimately real what is derivatively real.

It would be a mistake, therefore, to read the passage as an anticipation of the modern problematic of the external world. The point is much deeper. The Platonic inquiry call into question, not human knowledge of a physical world taken to be ultimately real, but the reality and importance of the physical world itself.

On the same page, we read that ". . . nothing which is subject to change has any truth." 'Truth' is here used ontically as equivalent to 'being' or 'real existence.' The mutable is not ultimately 'true' or ultimately real. The idea is not that the mutable is a mere illusion, but that it lacks plenary reality. One who feels this to be so has Platonic intuitions. I suggest that any arguments one develops that this is so will be no more than articulations of this deep intuition or spiritual insight which one either has or does not have, depending, to allude to Fichte's famous saying, on what kind of person one is. (. . .was für eine Philosophie man wähle, hängt ... davon ab, was man für ein Mensch ist.)................................
Read the rest of the page and I think you will read ideas that resonate with you.You have had experiences indicating that a far greater reality the soul of man is called to doesn't exist in the world.
Mark 8: 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
The outer man acquires values which further attach the collective human organism to the earth. At the same time, the seed of the soul within the inner man is drawn to a greater reality and higher values the outer man needs to dominate. The great struggle. My guess is that you are on the side of the seed of the soul needing to mature and return home. home
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm
The outer man acquires values which further attach the collective human organism to the earth. At the same time, the seed of the soul within the inner man is drawn to a greater reality and higher values the outer man needs to dominate. The great struggle. My guess is that you are on the side of the seed of the soul needing to mature and return home. home
I'm an Inny Nick.

I've always been an Inny..I felt a bit lost at first, coming out of my Inny world, but I never stopped believing in my capacity to bear the suffering. I'm home now. I made it Nick, I'm home sweet home, I found heaven, it was right where Jesus said it was, he wasn't kidding about it, I trusted him only, because he never lies to us. It was a struggle though, battling through the great beast, but I beat them with my kitten claws, the lion side of my kitten self rose to the occasion and saved the day, meow!