Book of Job

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Book of Job

Post by gaffo »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:37 pm
It's a deal. It's a bribe. It's not love.
I agree. the "Character" of Belial is lower in Job than it is in Zach's work.

---so from this we know Job was written later than Zach (understanding the "Decent of Satan"s role/character in Judao-christology).

authorship is Zach is clear to all - 500 BC.

so that rules out any nonesence of Job being written in 800BC.

understanding Jews "why?" (still occupied).............and starting to questing the morality of their God to allow such - I'd say 200 yrs of yoke by he "common man" to start to question their God, would be about right.

for an author to write a work to anwser (he does not answer it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - and in a way i admire the author's candor - Question not!)

there is a humble fatalism in Job which "western thought" -with its self made man hubris does not agree with.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

fooloso4 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:36 pm Immanuel Can:
Not a "bet," and not "between," as if mutuality were involved. It's an antagonism.
You are correct, there is no bet, but God does tell Satan to prove his case.
It's a deal. It's a bribe.
I can it as a deal but are you saying Satan bribes God to allow him to afflict Job? Has God put a hedge around Job as Satan accuses him of doing? (1:10) If so, why? Or it is just that Job has been fortune up until then?
The term Satan means "accuser."
The term is often translated as adversary or the adversary.
The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” (1:7) (Job
It is often assumed that the adversary is God’s adversary but in Numbers 22:21 an angel stands in the way of Balaam, who has angered God, as his adversary. In 1 Samuel 29:4 one man stands as the adversary of another (These citations are from Robert Sack’s "A Commentary on the Book of Job".)

So, the adversary wandering the earth may be a poetic way of talking about adversity. The question is, the question adversity asks: what happens to Job in the face of adversity?
Originally (prior to 587/Iddo Satan did not exist in Judaism) Belial theologically was adversary to MAN (not God) - thus Zachariah and Job.

latter Belial was determined to be adiversay to God.

theological evolution.

just like El of old.

and Christ of "less old".

first surviving work about Christ - Mark, Jesus was a good man - the most good known to God, but still a man born in the normal way with the usual father, ADOPTED as an adult on the river Jordan as God's Son.

15 years later...............two Books say same man's father was God and no Adoption needed,,,,,,,,still God's son (only from birth)........so Mark is wrong according to theologicl evolution per these two works.

15 year later another book claims that the 3 above are wrong and that Jesus is not God's son, but God himself in human form.

evolution in action.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 pm
fooloso4 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:32 pm
We do not when the book was written. According to Bible.org closer to 2000 BC than 200 BC., but I do not think it relevant to a timeless story.
Human writing developed only in the seventh century BC.
akkadians and summarians - 3000 and 4000 yr ago would dissagree with your assumption.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 pm

I don't know when the book of Job was written.
200-300 BC.

Biblical scholors agree.

Fundies with the 800+ BC with no historical understanding do not.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:29 am
You think the Resurrection is an Old Testament incident? Check again.

Resurrection theology as affirmed by Christian and Jewish Dogma.

................not sure about Islam, but have actually read 1/3 of the Koran (its redundant - tired of reading it 30 yrs ago), but from what i know if it (theologically it is identical to Judaism), I'd b surprised if they deny the theology of the Resurrection of the Dead at the end times.

I'm not a dick, so will not claim i know Islam affirms this theology and would welcome any Muslim here reading this thread to speak up and clearify my meager understanding of their theology on this particular matter.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:00 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:29 am
You think the Resurrection is an Old Testament incident? Check again.

Resurrection theology as affirmed by Christian and Jewish Dogma.

................not sure about Islam, but have actually read 1/3 of the Koran (its redundant - tired of reading it 30 yrs ago), but from what i know if it (theologically it is identical to Judaism), I'd b surprised if they deny the theology of the Resurrection of the Dead at the end times.

I'm not a dick, so will not claim i know Islam affirms this theology and would welcome any Muslim here reading this thread to speak up and clearify my meager understanding of their theology on this particular matter.
I'm not a Muslim, and I can't speak about resurrection in the Islamic faiths, because you have to die first to be resurrected. But in some deaths of Islam, there is continuation of life after death on Earth: i.e. if you die in a battle fought against enemies of Islam, you go to heaven immediately, surrounded by a number of virgins. This is not a tale of resurrection, but a tale of continuation of life after death, which is similar.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Gaffo: a quick search on Google found this (and many other references) when I typed in the term "resurrection in the Koran":

In Islam, no one will go scot-free; all will be held accountable for their transgression in a higher court of law, wherein no one is wronged and all are given proper sentences. God, Almighty, tells us:

“And the Book (one’s Record) will be placed (in the right hand for a believer in the Oneness of God, and in the left hand for a disbeliever in the Oneness of God), and you will see the criminal sinners, fearful of that which is (recorded) therein. They will say: “Woe to us! What sort of Book is this that leaves neither a small thing nor a big thing, but has recorded it with numbers!” And they will find all that they did placed before them, and your Lord treats no one with injustice.” (Quran 18:49)

If a person was wronged and did not see true justice or saw only partial justice, God will restore to him his rights on that Day. The Prophet, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, said:

“The rights shall be returned to the proper individuals on the Day of Resurrection, even to the detail of the just retribution of the broken horned sheep from the two horned sheep who had hit it.” (Saheeh Muslim)

Muslims firmly believe in life after death, we are reminded time and time again of this reality by God, the Exalted. He says:

“O you who believe! Fear God and keep your duty to Him. And let every person look to what he has sent forth for tomorrow, and fear God. Verily, God is All-Aware of what you do.” (Quran 59:18)

Journey into the Afterlife
Death is but a phase in a series of phases, it is the beginning of one’s journey to the afterlife. Death, or the cessation of life functions, occurs when one’s soul leaves the body. This is a very painful experience. God, Almighty, tells us:

“And the pangs of death will come in truth: “This is what you have been avoiding!” (Quran 50:19)

As the soul departs the body, the person will stare at it, and his eyes will follow it. The Prophet said:

“One will follow the path of the soul visually as it leaves his body.” (Saheeh Muslim)

The soul will then begin its journey up to the heavens; for a believer permission would be sought for the gates of heaven to be opened and the gates would be opened till it reaches the seventh heaven, whereby God says:

“Thereof (the earth) We created you, and into it We shall return you, and from it We shall bring you out once again.” (Quran 20:55)

It would then be returned to the body. As for the non-believer, permission would be sought for the gates of the lowest heaven to be opened, but the angels refuse and it will be cast back to earth. God, Almighty, tells us:

“Verily, those who belie Our Signs and treat them with arrogance, for them the gates of heaven will not be opened, and they will not enter Paradise until the camel goes through the eye of the needle. Thus do We recompense the criminal sinners.” (Quran 7:40)

Thereafter, one will remain in either continuous bliss or punishment in the grave until the Final Hour is established.

The Day of Resurrection
Nearing the end of time, the trumpet will be blown and creation will cease to exist. God, Almighty, says:

“And the Trumpet will be blown, and all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth will swoon away, except him whom God wills.” (Quran 39:68)

It will be blown a second blowing, and all creation from the beginning of time till the end of time will be resurrected. God, the Exalted, tells us:

“And the Trumpet will be blown (i.e. the second blowing) and behold! From the graves they will come out quickly to their Lord.” (Quran 36:51)

People will be standing naked, barefooted and uncircumcised. The Prophet described to us what will happen, he said: “You will be gathered, barefooted, naked, and uncircumcised (as God says):

“As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it.” (Quran 21:104)

The first human being to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection will be Prophet Abraham, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:19 pm Gaffo: a quick search on Google found this (and many other references) when I typed in the term "resurrection in the Koran":

In Islam, no one will go scot-free; all will be held accountable for their transgression in a higher court of law, wherein no one is wronged and all are given proper sentences. God, Almighty, tells us:

“And the Book (one’s Record) will be placed (in the right hand for a believer in the Oneness of God, and in the left hand for a disbeliever in the Oneness of God), and you will see the criminal sinners, fearful of that which is (recorded) therein. They will say: “Woe to us! What sort of Book is this that leaves neither a small thing nor a big thing, but has recorded it with numbers!” And they will find all that they did placed before them, and your Lord treats no one with injustice.” (Quran 18:49)

If a person was wronged and did not see true justice or saw only partial justice, God will restore to him his rights on that Day. The Prophet, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him, said:

“The rights shall be returned to the proper individuals on the Day of Resurrection, even to the detail of the just retribution of the broken horned sheep from the two horned sheep who had hit it.” (Saheeh Muslim)

Muslims firmly believe in life after death, we are reminded time and time again of this reality by God, the Exalted. He says:

“O you who believe! Fear God and keep your duty to Him. And let every person look to what he has sent forth for tomorrow, and fear God. Verily, God is All-Aware of what you do.” (Quran 59:18)

Journey into the Afterlife
Death is but a phase in a series of phases, it is the beginning of one’s journey to the afterlife. Death, or the cessation of life functions, occurs when one’s soul leaves the body. This is a very painful experience. God, Almighty, tells us:

“And the pangs of death will come in truth: “This is what you have been avoiding!” (Quran 50:19)

As the soul departs the body, the person will stare at it, and his eyes will follow it. The Prophet said:

“One will follow the path of the soul visually as it leaves his body.” (Saheeh Muslim)

The soul will then begin its journey up to the heavens; for a believer permission would be sought for the gates of heaven to be opened and the gates would be opened till it reaches the seventh heaven, whereby God says:

“Thereof (the earth) We created you, and into it We shall return you, and from it We shall bring you out once again.” (Quran 20:55)

It would then be returned to the body. As for the non-believer, permission would be sought for the gates of the lowest heaven to be opened, but the angels refuse and it will be cast back to earth. God, Almighty, tells us:

“Verily, those who belie Our Signs and treat them with arrogance, for them the gates of heaven will not be opened, and they will not enter Paradise until the camel goes through the eye of the needle. Thus do We recompense the criminal sinners.” (Quran 7:40)

Thereafter, one will remain in either continuous bliss or punishment in the grave until the Final Hour is established.

The Day of Resurrection
Nearing the end of time, the trumpet will be blown and creation will cease to exist. God, Almighty, says:

“And the Trumpet will be blown, and all who are in the heavens and all who are on the earth will swoon away, except him whom God wills.” (Quran 39:68)

It will be blown a second blowing, and all creation from the beginning of time till the end of time will be resurrected. God, the Exalted, tells us:

“And the Trumpet will be blown (i.e. the second blowing) and behold! From the graves they will come out quickly to their Lord.” (Quran 36:51)

People will be standing naked, barefooted and uncircumcised. The Prophet described to us what will happen, he said: “You will be gathered, barefooted, naked, and uncircumcised (as God says):

“As We began the first creation, We shall repeat it.” (Quran 21:104)

The first human being to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection will be Prophet Abraham, may the mercy and blessings of God be upon him.” (Saheeh Al-Bukhari)
WOW! thanks "1" for the many quotes from the Koran.

- and as i suspected.

Theologically Islam is identical to Judiasm. Torah/Minor Prophet's theology of the dead and end times (Amos speaks of it (I like Amos - fav work of the OT, Job is my 3d fav - Jonah is 2nd).

such irony that the "jews" hate the "muslims" - and vise versa of course ----------since the theology is the SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that leave ONLY POLITICS (creation of Israel in 48 = crusader state to muslims).

there was no hate prior to 48.

-------------

WRT to christians, outside of their Christ (ya i know he is the "beginng and the end (i.e. God)" according to John - none of the other authors though), their view of the endtime/ressurection is the same theologically as that of the Jews/Muslims.

reading your above references about the endtime via the Koran reminds me of my reading of The Apocoypse in the NT - same/similar theology/events (minus Christ's role in the the "play").

thanks for the education - i value posts like your above and why i am here.

if course I shall burn forever being an Athiest - lol.

I'm not at war with God - if He IS - He and I will discuss my future shortly after my death, and if he is a "good fellow" i've nothing to fear.

and if he ain't, well then so be it.

thanks for reply "1".