A strange spiritual consequence of the multiverse theory

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: A strange spiritual consequence of the multiverse theory

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 pm
I can honestly tell you that you have no idea about "real" nondualism. And you also don't know what humans are, or what the real world is.
Does anyone?

We've only got imagination.

If there are people existing anywhere who know the absolute truth of life, then that would be all of us.

No big deal.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:12 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:02 pm
Atla wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 pm If everything that can exist naturally, does exist,...
So...your supposition would be that somewhere in the "multiverse," Superman is real. He works at "The Daily Planet," flies around, and is susceptible to Kryptonite...but he's also female, purple, canine...and made up of six particles of styrofoam...

Or is it maybe better to specify the limitations on "everything"? :wink:
No idea if that would be possible or not. I guess you can't have a Superman made of six particles, or a male female (?), as for the rest.. yeah, I guess that should be possible?
If by "everything," you mean "everything," then everything SHOULD be possible -- even the absurd, the contradictory, the unscientific and the irrational combination of opposite attributes. However, if there is a limit on the kind of "everything" that "everything" can be, then the existence of that limiting principle needs to be explained...and the universe is not infinite, but is bounded by laws of some kind...at least laws against the existence of silly contradictions and scientific impossibilities.

But there are several other reasons why the idea of "multiverse" is an irrational postulate. This is just one of them. Namely, that we have no sensible way of thinking that the idea of "everything being possible" is actually itself possible.

If we do, then we're right back to the silly Superman situation. And we can problematize it with as many more silly and contradictory postulates as we wish, and it will yield the same situation: either we will have to say, "I believe that literally everything, no matter how stupid, unscientific and contractors, is possible," or else, "It can't be sensible to say everything is possible."

But if "everything" is not possible, then we can no longer use the multiverse explanation to dismiss all the important questions about why our universe has specific things in it: if nothing else, that it has such laws and rules in it.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can will not be able to compete with Atla.

Atla is an infinite step ahead of everybody else.

It's lonely at the top isn't it Atla. You need to come down off your pedestal and mingle with the other not-knowing nobodies a bit more.

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Since gravity is weak and theories say it's leaking in higher dimensions, then I say the odds are better than 50/50 there is a multiverse.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Atla

Post by Atla »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:43 pmIf by "everything," you mean "everything," then everything SHOULD be possible -- even the absurd, the contradictory, the unscientific and the irrational combination of opposite attributes. However, if there is a limit on the kind of "everything" that "everything" can be, then the existence of that limiting principle needs to be explained...and the universe is not infinite, but is bounded by laws of some kind...at least laws against the existence of silly contradictions and scientific impossibilities.
I wrote everything that can exist naturally. I of course have no idea what naturally really means here beyond what we can extrapolate from our universe, but I guess the supernatural and the contradictory isn't part of it.

But then again who knows, it's as wild a speculation as it gets.
But there are several other reasons why the idea of "multiverse" is an irrational postulate.
I think it's the most rational postulate right now, as crazy as it sounds. I admit that it's batshit crazy, and it's unproven, but still the least batshit crazy idea I can think of.
This is just one of them. Namely, that we have no sensible way of thinking that the idea of "everything being possible" is actually itself possible.
Don't know what you mean. I'm entertaining some version of this idea right now, so I guess the idea is possible. But my idea is that everything can exist naturally, does exist.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:59 pm Since gravity is weak and theories say it's leaking in higher dimensions, then I say the odds are better than 50/50 there is a multiverse.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Yeah multiverse theories have become pretty mainstream in physics in the last few years. I think it's mainly because decoherence theory and string theory, and yes also because of gravity.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:05 pm You're not a bad person
You wound me
Walker

Post by Walker »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:09 pm I wrote everything that can exist naturally.
Do you have any examples of unnatural things that do exist?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:27 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:09 pm I wrote everything that can exist naturally.
No I don't. I guess supernatural would be something that's not natural, but I haven't come across any such thing yet.

But then again who knows, we can never be fully certain of anything.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:23 pm
You wound me
There is no you.

A you is artificially generated.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:38 pm
You wound me
There is no you.

Okay, the concept of you appears to wound the concept of me but it doesn't.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 pm

I can honestly tell you that you have no idea about "real" nondualism. And you also don't know what humans are, or what the real world is.

Are you certain about that?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:40 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:38 pm
You wound me
There is no you.

Okay, the concept of you appears to wound the concept of me but it doesn't.
No one cares.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Are you certain about that?
Yes, from an Eastern nondualism point of view, I'm certain. I have no idea how you could read the books of Eastern teachers and think that they were talking about Gnosis or Pseudo Advaita?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:27 pm
No I don't. I guess supernatural would be something that's not natural, but I haven't come across any such thing yet.

Can anything exist, unnaturally?