A set of genuine questions. Not a trap. Bible quotes needed.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

A set of genuine questions. Not a trap. Bible quotes needed.

Post by -1- »

Where in the Old and New Testaments does it say:

- God is infinitely good

- God is the greatest

- God sees all

- God only knows, God knows all

- God is merciful and forgiving

- God can be trusted

- God loves his children and who precisely are these children

- God never needed anybody's help

- God has existed forever

-
gaffo

Re: A set of genuine questions. Not a trap. Bible quotes needed.

Post by gaffo »

I've read most of the OT and 1/3 d the NT and koran.

I take each work in those books on their own (yes they do contradict other works in the same said overall book (koran/OT/NT).

I'm not into quoting verses - more into themes of the books in question.

plus me memory is not idetic(sp) and so can't quote you a verse from Jonah, but can give you its theme (I like Jonah BTW - its a humanist work)

you thread is promising, but would be better if it were worded/asked via themes instead of particular quotes.

carry on. I'll watching any replies.............lol
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

nothing since last week sad.

this thread deserves more.

oh well ;-/.
Serendipper

Post by Serendipper »

I could answer them. Would be some work though.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

-1- wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 pm Where in the Old and New Testaments does it say:

- God is infinitely good

- God is the greatest

- God sees all

- God can be trusted

-
I can offer you one answerable bible quote for all of your questions.

I am Alpha and Omega,

the beginning and the end,

the first and the last.

- Revelation, 22. 13

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:37 pm
-1- wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 pm Where in the Old and New Testaments does it say:

- God is infinitely good

- God is the greatest

- God sees all

- God can be trusted

-
I can offer you one answerable bible quote for all of your questions.

I am Alpha and Omega,

the first and the last.

- Revelation, 22. 13

The beginning and end of the Greek alphabet. :lol:

PhilX 🇺🇸
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:37 pm I can offer you one answerable bible quote for all of your questions.

I am Alpha and Omega,

the first and the last.

- Revelation, 22. 13
I am sorry. What you wrote, literally reads, "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." This answers NOT ONE of my questions. It is, however a completely irrelevant statement, that precisely says that the speaker is two letters in the Greek alphabet; the speaker is the beginning and the end of something unnamed; and the speaker is the first and the last, in an unnamed context.

The quote is utterly and completely meaningless, and especially so when viewed as an answer to ANY ONE of my requests.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Maybe a team effort will take the load off? Here is a quote about God being good:
-1- wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:01 pmGod is infinitely good ...
Quote 1:
Exodus 34:6-7a “The LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin.”
So It (God) is good, but not infinitely good - "slow to anger" as opposed to "infinitely understanding". Basically, God is posited as being like a good dad - not perfect but pretty darn good :D

Quote 2:
2 Chronicles 30:9 “For if you return to the LORD, your brothers and your children will find compassion with their captors and return to this land. For the LORD your God is gracious and merciful and will not turn away his face from you, if you return to him.”
In other words It is not always merciful. There are no doubt plenty of pleasant, regular people who would be more decent than this.

Quote 3:
Mark 10:18 “And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.”
Here is a claim for ultimate good - that good ONLY resides in God, so It is the only good entity, which begs the question as to why God would create a bunch of arseholes rather than goodly folk.

The more sophisticated interpretation is that God is the good that resides within us all. That is the ultimate theistic stronghold, ultimately impossible to disprove. As far as I can tell, this is the basis for the idea that God is infinitely good, but Bible literalists take a simplistic, magical view.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

-1- wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 am I am sorry.
Apology accepted.
-1- wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 am What you wrote, literally reads, "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."
No one wrote it, words are unwritten appearances of no thing.

-1- wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 amThis answers NOT ONE of my questions.
Questions can only arise to the sense of something wanting to know something.

Find out who wants to know something and there will be all your answers to that question.

-1- wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 amIt is, however a completely irrelevant statement, that precisely says that the speaker is two letters in the Greek alphabet; the speaker is the beginning and the end of something unnamed; and the speaker is the first and the last, in an unnamed context.

The quote is utterly and completely meaningless, and especially so when viewed as an answer to ANY ONE of my requests.
There is no one speaking, speaking is an auditory illusion of sound heard as words, with attached relevant meaning according to the heart of the believer.

Turn all the questions around to yourself instead of projecting them out side of you...ask yourself all those questions you have posited and your answers will be there also. You being inseparable from source energy can choose the reality you want to live in.

Live long and prosper, living a lovely life.

You are - I am.

I AM.. is without beginning nor end..it's infinity now aka no thing expressing itself as every thing...ask yourself, what do you want? you cannot change anything external to yourself - you can only change yourself.

"Quietly go to work on your own self awareness.
If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself.
If you want to eliminate the suffering in the world,
then eliminate all that is dark and negative in yourself.
Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of
your own self-transformation."

-Lao Tzu

Time to stop thinking too hard and start playing. Life is what YOU make it.

-1-

Post by -1- »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:49 am
Dontaskme, your and my worlds are incredibly different. You are not even near to my mode of existence, and I can't comprehend your state of existence. Please leave it at that.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:27 am
Exodus 34:6-7a “The LORD passed before him and proclaimed, “The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin.”
“Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.”
Here is a claim for ultimate good - that good ONLY resides in God, so It is the only good entity, which begs the question as to why God would create a bunch of arseholes rather than goodly folk.
Yah, I hear ya. God is forgiving, keeping steadfast love for literally thousands. That's a slim batting average when there are billions at stake. Thousands or billions. God is selective, not infinite.

No one is goodexcept God alone -- I beg to differ with your claim he is infinitely good. The claim by Jesus is that god is good, not that god isinfinitely good. Just good, period; and every one else (people) are not good.

The quotes did not correspond to my request of quotes to support oft repeated qualities of god as stated by christians.
Greta

Post by Greta »

-1- wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:28 pm
Greta wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:27 am
“Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.”
Yah, I hear ya. God is forgiving, keeping steadfast love for literally thousands. That's a slim batting average when there are billions at stake. Thousands or billions. God is selective, not infinite.

No one is good except God alone -- I beg to differ with your claim he is infinitely good. The claim by Jesus is that god is good, not that god isinfinitely good. Just good, period; and every one else (people) are not good.

The quotes did not correspond to my request of quotes to support oft repeated qualities of god as stated by christians.
It was the closest I could find, -1-. I thought that the latter quote attributed to JC spoke of ultimate rather than infinite good. I suspect that the "infinite" part is an extrapolation of the Bible - an invention rather than a reference - like young Earth creation based on adding up the ages of people named in the Bible.

Theoretically it's blasphemous to present one's own views as being Biblically reference but the faithful seem to just cede to the church's authority without question.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

-1- wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:06 pm
Dontaskme, your and my worlds are incredibly different. You are not even near to my mode of existence, and I can't comprehend your state of existence. Please leave it at that.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise that this thread topic was about posting ideas that only conform to your own ideals that agree with your own perceptions, and interpretations of what it is you want to know.

-1-

Post by -1- »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:05 am
-1- wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Oh sorry, I didn't realise that this thread topic was about posting ideas that only conform to your own ideals that agree with your own perceptions, and interpretations of what it is you want to know.

I asked a series of specific questions. Yes, I wanted direct answers to that. If that hurts your sensitivities, dontaskme, then you understand my hurt of sensitivities of asking one question and getting someone give a litany of a sermon on a completely unrelated topic.

This is a thread with a specific topic. EACH thread is concerned with a specific topic. If you talk about completely unrelated thoughts, and ramble on about your idea of faith, then don't get surprized please about attempts to direct you back into the topic.

Read the opening post, and reply please accordingly, and you will see you get a fair treatement and that your voice will be appreciated.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 am
It was the closest I could find, -1-. I thought that the latter quote attributed to JC spoke of ultimate rather than infinite good. I suspect that the "infinite" part is an extrapolation of the Bible - an invention rather than a reference - like young Earth creation based on adding up the ages of people named in the Bible.

Theoretically it's blasphemous to present one's own views as being Biblically reference but the faithful seem to just cede to the church's authority without question.
That's exactly why I asked these questions. My quest is to show that most faithful attribute qualities to god which are not mentioned in the bible but are either conjectures or else they are plainly figments of imagination, borne out of a drive to show adoration.

I want to be proven wrong, I seek to be proven wrong. I seek to be proven wrong by bible scholars showing me the passages where the qualities described are found in the bible.

This is not a trap. I want direct quotes of lines in the bible. Then there are no arguments. If the quotes are not forthcoming, I assume, rightfully, that the qualities attributed are not true, since there is no evidence in the Bible for them to be true.