How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

mind your own damn business; keep your friggin' hands to yourself

Post by henry quirk »

"How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?"

If such a person isn't takin' money out of your pocket or food off your table then mebbe you ought to butt the fuck out and leave 'em be.
Greatest I am

Re: mind your own damn business; keep your friggin' hands to yourself

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm "How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?"

If such a person isn't takin' money out of your pocket or food off your table then mebbe you ought to butt the fuck out and leave 'em be.
For evil to grow, all good people need do is do as you suggest and be as self=centered as you are.

Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family.

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family.

Post by henry quirk »

What harm is that?

Be specific, please.
Greatest I am

Re: Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:42 pm What harm is that?

Be specific, please.
Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

You wrote: "Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family."

I want to know, specifically, how my family has been, or is being, harmed by religionists.
Greatest I am

Re:

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:10 pm Perhaps I wasn't clear.

You wrote: "Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family."

I want to know, specifically, how my family has been, or is being, harmed by religionists.
Seriously?

How can I know if your wife is being paid the same as a man in her work and how can I know how many gays in your family have been denigrated or discriminated against?

Ask intelligent questions if you want me to bother with you.

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"How can I know...?"

You can't, so mebbe you ought to not make dumb statements like: "Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family."

Make intelligent comments if you want 'me' to bother with 'you'.
Greatest I am

Re:

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 pm "How can I know...?"

You can't, so mebbe you ought to not make dumb statements like: "Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family."

Make intelligent comments if you want 'me' to bother with 'you'.
Ignore the harm then.

Ignore doing unto others.

Regards
DL
seeds

Re: How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Post by seeds »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm Gnostic Christianity is more concerned with making humans better from a moral standpoint and to do that, we need not know how things began.
Your thread is about chastising a “supernatural believing person” for being borderline “stupid” for holding such beliefs.

In which case, how in the world can you rule-out the possibility of “supernatural” processes being involved in the creation of the universe if you have no desire or need to understand how the universe came into existence?

Stop digging yourself into a hole of illogical babble.

Furthermore, you asked a highly specific question:
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm What is the optimal way of correcting those who have gone into intellectual dissonance by believing in the supernatural on faith?
And I provided a highly specific answer:
seeds wrote: ...the optimal way of correcting those who look to the supernatural for a possible explanation of reality is to provide irrefutable evidence for how and why the universe came into being...

...evidence that proves - beyond any doubt – that nothing “above and beyond” the natural-appearing physics of this universe (as in “supernatural”) had anything whatsoever to do with the unfathomable level of order that awakened us into life.
If there are questions that you really don’t want anyone to actually answer, then perhaps you shouldn’t ask the questions.

(Continued in next post)
_______
seeds

Re: How do you compassionately tell a supernatural believing person that they are borderline stupid?

Post by seeds »

_______

(Continued from prior post)
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm If you think it is better to believe in supernatural garbage, and end in adoring Yahweh, a genocidal son murdering p****, just to solve a mystery, you show how evil Christianity is and how damaging to a psyche the supernatural is.
Your obsessive and myopic focus on the dubious blatherings of a specific group of ancient Middle Eastern humans has you completely deluded into thinking that the word “supernatural” is somehow singularly synonymous with the myth of a genocidal son-murdering entity named Yahweh, and nothing else.

In other words, you are making the egregious error of assuming that any appeal to the possibility that something supernatural (transcendent) might be involved in the creation of the universe, automatically means that one must therefore be referring to the phantasmagorical details that form the basis of the Abrahamic religions.

Such nonsense represents a serious problem with your reasoning.

(Continued in next post)
_______
seeds

Post by seeds »

_______

(Continued from prior post)
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm Gnostic Christianity is not elitist as it is a Universalist creed. You might want to learn about it if you wish to repair your psyche.
I have looked into Gnostic Christianity and have not been able to locate anywhere in its teachings where it shuns the supernatural while embracing atheism and materialism in the way that you do.

And one of the more ironic aspects of this situation is that you often reference the video lectures of Bill Donahue to bolster your arguments.

Well let me remind you of one of our previous debates in an alternate thread:
seeds wrote: ...if you are going to link to videos that, presumably, are meant to support your atheistic point of view, then you might want to choose your sources more carefully.

The following is a transcript of what the speaker in one of the videos you referenced said as he drew a correlation between Christ and the constellation of Aquarius:
Bill Donahue from the video “Hidden Meanings In Bible” wrote: “...the zodiac is real, it’s true...I’m not talking about fortune telling or nonsense. The zodiac is the twelve signs of man - it’s in the universe. God painted a picture of the Christ in the sky and you as a Christian have been afraid to look at it. It’s the man carrying the picture of water, meaning - he, the Christ that dwells within you, pouring out truth all over this universe......You see it on a Christmas card; God painted it in the sky and you’re afraid to look at it because your churches have filled you with a bunch of stuff about the evilness of it...

...we oughta get down on our knees and apologize to God for thinking that His heavenly creation is evil...”
_______
As I made clear at the time of that post, it seems pretty obvious that Bill Donahue (again, the man you often cite in support your argument against the existence of God) is a person who clearly implies that he himself believes that God exists.
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm Your fear of the afterlife has corrupted your thinking.
Just as attofishpi suggested, you are guilty of blindly painting all theists (and all forms of speculation regarding the supernatural) with your bigoted brush...

...for it is obvious that you do not have the remotest idea of what my thinking entails.
_______
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Ignore the harm then."

Here, in the US ain't a soul obligated to kiss a ring or attend a service...there's no inquisition and while islamic nutjobs do crap, it's the crap that's the issue, not the Mohammed worship. My point: if religionists are hurtin' folks it's only cuz those folks let themselves be hurt.

#

"Ignore doing unto others."

I do unto others: I mind my own business and keep my hands to myself till given tangible reasons not to. So far, you've not one good reason for me to join you in your jihad.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

seeds wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:51 am If there are questions that you really don’t want anyone to actually answer, then perhaps you shouldn’t ask the questions.
_______
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NCryQRna5A

This is what I told my wife before we got married, I had told her that I would answer any question she asked.
Eodnhoj7

Re: Nice that you would ignore the harm that the homophobic and misogynous religions do even to those in your own family

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:42 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:42 pm What harm is that?

Be specific, please.
Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Regards
DL
https://www.bing.com/search?q=death+tol ... 5731089DB9

Why is it that all atheists are hypocrites?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

seeds wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:51 am
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm Gnostic Christianity is more concerned with making humans better from a moral standpoint and to do that, we need not know how things began.
Your thread is about chastising a “supernatural believing person” for being borderline “stupid” for holding such beliefs.

In which case, how in the world can you rule-out the possibility of “supernatural” processes being involved in the creation of the universe if you have no desire or need to understand how the universe came into existence?
I do not rule it out completely and give it an I do not know. I just do not rule it in based on nothing but faith in some genocidal son murdering guy in the sky.
Stop digging yourself into a hole of illogical babble.
Not needing to know our beginning is not babble. It is a lack of need. Be it a fantasy God, a real one or nature, it makes no difference. Would you act differently if there was some guy in the sky?
Furthermore, you asked a highly specific question:
Indeed.
Greatest I am wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm What is the optimal way of correcting those who have gone into intellectual dissonance by believing in the supernatural on faith?
And I provided a highly specific answer:
seeds wrote: ...the optimal way of correcting those who look to the supernatural for a possible explanation of reality is to provide irrefutable evidence for how and why the universe came into being...
There is no such information at this point in time, but the big bang does have a lot of evidence.
...evidence that proves - beyond any doubt – that nothing “above and beyond” the natural-appearing physics of this universe (as in “supernatural”) had anything whatsoever to do with the unfathomable level of order that awakened us into life.
If there are questions that you really don’t want anyone to actually answer, then perhaps you shouldn’t ask the questions.

(Continued in next post)
_______
If I did not want an answer, I would not have put my question.

Regards
DL