How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by bobevenson » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Ginkgo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 am
bobevenson wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:13 pm
As a prophet, my educational background is irrelevant, but as you may recall, the Champagne Sherry Principle of the American Energy Party (AEP) refers to the election of a girl named Sherry for Homecoming Queen at the University of Wisconsin, whose poster showed two bubbly Champagne glasses with the campaign slogan, "Vote for Champagne Sherry for Homecoming Queen."
It is relevant because you are not a prophet. I know you have trouble understanding embarrassment so I suggest a practical demonstration. After your round of golf make a public announcement in the clubhouse to all and sundry, tell them you are a prophet. That will give you good idea of what embarrassment is like.
That reminds me of a mystical event soon after my arrival in Cincinnati. A number of us played nine holes of golf at Winton Woods. Afterwards, we played liar's poker in the clubhouse. After a number of hands, I was dealt a dollar bill with two of some particular digit in the eight-digit serial number. For some reason, I decided to challenge every bid from the very beginning. When the bidding reached a high level, there were two players who continued bidding the digit I had two of. Finally, I bid not one over, but two over the previous bid, which must have seemed insane to the other players. This was not a hunch or strategic bid, but one of absolute certainty. I knew my bid was a winning bid, and any higher bid would be a losing bid. Everybody challenged my bid, and when we showed our dollar bills, I told each player how many of the digit he had without looking at his bill. I said to myself that it was like having the omniscience of God. I don't remember any reaction from the other players, but it was the last hand we played. It was almost as if their minds or egos had been utterly destroyed. This was the first spiritual event leading to Ouzo a number of years later.

Ginkgo
Posts: 2449
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by Ginkgo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 am

How about it Bob? Tell all your golfing buddies that you are a prophet. You won't do that because you know they would laugh in your face.

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by bobevenson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 am

I have mystical documentation of being a prophet, but your written word is the only documentation you need of being a fool.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1028
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by -1- » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 am

bobevenson wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 am
I have mystical documentation of being a prophet, but your written word is the only documentation you need of being a fool.
"Mystical" and "documentation" ought not to be mentioned in one sentence.

And the written word and its commanded worshipping of an idol is indeed the only documentation that one needs to show they are fools (I.e. worshipping idols because texts like the Bible or the Koran tell you to do so.)

Ginkgo
Posts: 2449
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by Ginkgo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 am

bobevenson wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 am
I have mystical documentation of being a prophet, but your written word is the only documentation you need of being a fool.
You are a fool when it comes to most things, but you are not foolish enough to tell people you associate with that you are a prophet.


BTW
My written works have been published in Philosophy Now, along with many other publications.

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by bobevenson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm

a) I don't associate with other people, and b) as I said, "your written word is the only documentation you need of being a fool."

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by bobevenson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm

-1- wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 am
bobevenson wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 am
I have mystical documentation of being a prophet, but your written word is the only documentation you need of being a fool.
"Mystical" and "documentation" ought not to be mentioned in one sentence. And the written word and its commanded worshipping of an idol is indeed the only documentation that one needs to show they are fools (I.e. worshipping idols because texts like the Bible or the Koran tell you to do so.)
Why shouldn't "mystical" and "documentation" be mentioned in the same sentence? Are you suggesting that a mystical event can't be documented? And regarding your other point, the book of Revelation doesn't tell you to worship anything.

Ginkgo
Posts: 2449
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by Ginkgo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 pm

bobevenson wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm
a) I don't associate with other people, and b) as I said, "your written word is the only documentation you need of being a fool."
Your written word is evidence that you need psychological help again.

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by bobevenson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 am

Please, when the spokesman for the Spiritual Counterfeits Project, an extremely conservative Biblical organization, read "The Ouzo Prophecy," he said, "What can I say? Your argument is fascinating, tightly-reasoned, for sure. But I have to wonder, is it true?" He was referring to the argument that I am Bob the Baptist, precursor of the Second Coming of Christ, whose name is Tor, that I can offer the world salvation in a game called Ouzo, and that the Holy Trinity is Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ and Ouzo Cross. Either the spokesman for the SCP needed psychological help or he was the recipient of divine intervention, don't you agree?

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 am

bobevenson wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 am
Please, when the spokesman for the Spiritual Counterfeits Project, an extremely conservative Biblical organization, read "The Ouzo Prophecy," he said, "What can I say? Your argument is fascinating, tightly-reasoned, for sure. But I have to wonder, is it true?"

He was not referring to the below but rather observing strictly what he stated: You have an intricate argument, but is it true because it is intricate?

He was referring to the argument that I am Bob the Baptist, precursor of the Second Coming of Christ, whose name is Tor, that I can offer the world salvation in a game called Ouzo, and that the Holy Trinity is Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ and Ouzo Cross. Either the spokesman for the SCP needed psychological help or he was the recipient of divine intervention, don't you agree?
Enough with the chosen one line, it is a fallacy of authority. If you have an argument, about why "Ouzo" is the correct "means" to salvation then present the argument for what it is, otherwise simply referring to other peoples opinions is not only bad argument form but gives the impression you a trying to impress us with the opinions of others.

No personal experience...just present the argument for Ouzo on its own terms. If you do not, it gives the impression you do not understand your own argument.

If you are really "chosen" then you should be able to present the argument with some degree of clarity and not only present it with clarity but answer questions presented about the argument itself, not questions about who "you" are or are not.

And no I will not buy the book so don't bother with that line, present the argument or you cannot claim any mystical credentials.

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by bobevenson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 am

Please, "The Ouzo Prophecy" is a four-page paper, more than half of it double-spaced, with wide margins top and bottom, left and right, with plenty of white space. I will tell you this, when I submitted the paper to Writers Digest for a critical review, the professor of English who critiqued it said, "I read your paper, re-read it, and then read it again. The average person wouldn't know what you're talking about, what the point is, what you're trying to say. He then referred to a letter the author of Madam Bovary wrote to his girlfriend (which can be found on the internet). The author said that what he really dreamed of writing, if such a thing were possible, is a book about nothing, a book unrelated to anything outside itself, that would exist by the strength of its own internal style, like the sun seems to hang in the sky without any means of support. The professor said he thought "The Ouzo Prophecy" virtually accomplished this. He said, "Your paper is something, but it's only something, and I reluctantly confess, I'm not at all certain what that something is."
Last edited by bobevenson on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

thedoc
Posts: 6394
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by thedoc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 am
. . . . .
Don't feed the Troll.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 am

thedoc wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 am
. . . . .
Don't feed the Troll.
Or keep feeding him until he explodes...some animals will eat until they die, donkeys are one of them if I am correct.

bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by bobevenson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 am

I'm afraid the only thing you two know about trolls is looking in the mirror.

thedoc
Posts: 6394
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: How did spirituality, belief in God and the continuing search for God change you?

Post by thedoc » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:24 am

bobevenson wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 am
Please,
The respondent was panning you in an effort to get you off his back and not reply. He was saying the letter was nonsense and said nothing of consequence.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests