What is the purpose of God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

sthitapragya

What is the purpose of God?

Post by sthitapragya »

Why does God exist? What is the purpose of his existence?
Nick_A

Re: What is the purpose of God?

Post by Nick_A »

sthit wrote:
God doesn't exist; God IS. Existence is an ever changing process. God is the eternal unchanging. The process of existence takes place within God. It is only your conceit which prevents you from attempts to answer the more relevant question: why do you exist and what is the purpose of your existence?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nick_A wrote:God doesn't exist; God IS. Existence is an ever changing process. God is the eternal unchanging. The process of existence takes place within God. ...
Then how does existence change?
It is only your conceit which prevents you from attempts to answer the more relevant question: why do you exist and what is the purpose of your existence?
More relevant ones are, "What do you want?" and "How will you know when you've got it?".
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Nick_A wrote:sthit wrote:
God doesn't exist; God IS. Existence is an ever changing process. God is the eternal unchanging. The process of existence takes place within God. It is only your conceit which prevents you from attempts to answer the more relevant question: why do you exist and what is the purpose of your existence?
There is no purpose of my existence.

And I can guarantee yours has none whatsoever.

But the question still stands. What is the purpose of God? Why IS he? He is as you say eternally unchanging. So why is he? What is the point of staying static eternally? No improvement, no deterioration. What is the point of his existence?

Also, are you implying that He has no control over the fact that He exists? He could stop existing, couldn't He? So why is He existing? What purpose does He serve?

My existence would have a purpose only if the existence of my creator or boss had a purpose. If He has no clue what his purpose is, he won't be able to tell me what is mine. So again, what is the purpose of my creator's existence?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: God doesn't exist; God IS.
We can argue over words... "exists"... "is"... etc., but can we be honest in answering:

How can "all that is" be definable in our small terms and limited understanding, and be knowable by us?
Nick_A wrote: why do you exist and what is the purpose of your existence?
We've had discussions about this... about there being no purpose... at least not anything that relates to our way of thinking. I'm guessing that we are all part of the same, although currently under the illusion of being separate, exploring and having experiences for the collective, of every path possible.

Also, from my perspective: Beyond our own reality, nothing is more important or true or necessary than anything else. These are elements of our experience, and do not extend beyond us to "all that is". This is drama on a stage. This is a playground. We are noisy clouds floating across a cosmic screen. It is nothing of tremendous significance, and it doesn't need to be. When we stop needing that, we can be free. All of our ideas and judgments are made up. We know nothing. When we stop needing to think we know, we can very likely see much more. There is no separation "between" us and all else, nor is there separation between us and a god. That is a hierarchical model of separation made by man that makes no sense beyond our own reality. And for many people, it makes no sense within our reality either.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

All this Being and IS-ing that God does without existing is very bothersome.
Has anybody asked him nicely to stop?
Skip

Post by Skip »

I have a sudden craving for Babylon 5
Skip

Post by Skip »

sthitapragya wrote:Why does God exist? What is the purpose of his existence?
To tell you which people must be shot, bombed, gassed or otherwise done away with, which people are absolutely off-limits and which people you may shoot, bomb or gas at your - or your designated leaders' - discretion.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Nick_A wrote: God doesn't exist; God IS. Existence is an ever changing process. God is the eternal unchanging. The process of existence takes place within God. It is only your conceit which prevents you from attempts to answer the more relevant question: why do you exist and what is the purpose of your existence?
You don't know that, you only believe it, there is a difference. If you think you know God, and can prove that God exists, introduce me to God, in a way that i can verify.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

FlashDangerpants wrote:All this Being and IS-ing that God does without existing is very bothersome.
Has anybody asked him nicely to stop?
I did once. But I suddenly felt an invisible hand slap me so hard on the face that I peed a little. After that, I never dared to do it again.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

God is an empty word arising from nothing, all words are emptiness appearing to be as if they are something,but there is nothing here that has any actually known source. Nothingness cannot be sourced, and at the same time is always here, everything is this nothingness. If I was to ask you how or where did existence come from or when did it start you wouldn't know how to answer that, no one can answer that question. However, There is a knowing that knows it is no thing and everything,because this is that knowing, this is already a direct automatic functioning, life programmes it in, there is an inbuilt knowing of how to be, what to do and how to operate, no one is doing this, it's just happening all by itself. The growing of the grass is no different to the functioning of the human body, an example of the knowing I'm talking about is the body obviously knows how to function, there is no one inside the body doing that, the one assumed to be inside the body is an energetic feeling that's all. There is nothing in a feeling, it comes and goes from nothing to nothing like everything else. Energy is also a thought, or an emotion, and this energy somehow tends to pull in a sense of I am this thought, or feeling, giving the appearance of a separate me inside this body feeling and thinking thoughts of being alive, but it's all a trick, no one is doing that, it's an illusion, there is not one thing alive that is able to know it is alive as a separate entity, no thing is separated from this immediate energetic aliveness. Life is comprised of many parts working together as one synchronised whole mechanism like the inner components of a clock. No one knows what this knowing is because they are not separate from that knowing, the thinker is not separate from the thought. The thinker cannot separate himself from the thought and look at it, and so it's the same with life, there is no one looking at life separate from it, there is only life living itself. No one has a life, they are life and there is only life. Everything is this same one life, there is just life flowing endlessly from source to source like a river to the sea to the rain cloud to the river to the sea, it's an endless cycle within itself, it's happening without doubt or error.
Existence is this immediate timeless boundless nothingness appearing and disappearing to and from itself as everything simultaneously all at once right now the only place there is - it's not moving toward anything or receding away from anything, it's always here right now, since it's infinitely everywhere at once, all movement is within itself endlessly recycling like the torus, it is without purpose, name, identity. It's without beginning or ending,birthless, deathless, aliveness beingness ever present presence in which everything it is constantly and simultaneously appearing and disappearing from within itself returning to itself. It's empty and full. There is no entity who knows it, owns it or can claim it to be anything other than what it is. What begins ends, nothingness sustains.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Dontaskme wrote:
God is an empty word arising from nothing, all words are emptiness appearing to be as if they are something,but there is nothing here that has any actually known source. Nothingness cannot be sourced, and at the same time is always here, everything is this nothingness. If I was to ask you how or where did existence come from or when did it start you wouldn't know how to answer that, no one can answer that question. However, There is a knowing that knows it is no thing and everything,because this is that knowing, this is already a direct automatic functioning, life programmes it in, there is an inbuilt knowing of how to be, what to do and how to operate, no one is doing this, it's just happening all by itself. The growing of the grass is no different to the functioning of the human body, an example of the knowing I'm talking about is the body obviously knows how to function, there is no one inside the body doing that, the one assumed to be inside the body is an energetic feeling that's all. There is nothing in a feeling, it comes and goes from nothing to nothing like everything else. Energy is also a thought, or an emotion, and this energy somehow tends to pull in a sense of I am this thought, or feeling, giving the appearance of a separate me inside this body feeling and thinking thoughts of being alive, but it's all a trick, no one is doing that, it's an illusion, there is not one thing alive that is able to know it is alive as a separate entity, no thing is separated from this immediate energetic aliveness. Life is comprised of many parts working together as one synchronised whole mechanism like the inner components of a clock. No one knows what this knowing is because they are not separate from that knowing, the thinker is not separate from the thought. The thinker cannot separate himself from the thought and look at it, and so it's the same with life, there is no one looking at life separate from it, there is only life living itself. No one has a life, they are life and there is only life. Everything is this same one life, there is just life flowing endlessly from source to source like a river to the sea to the rain cloud to the river to the sea, it's an endless cycle within itself, it's happening without doubt or error.
Existence is this immediate timeless boundless nothingness appearing and disappearing to and from itself as everything simultaneously all at once right now the only place there is - it's not moving toward anything or receding away from anything, it's always here right now, since it's infinitely everywhere at once, all movement is within itself endlessly recycling like the torus, it is without purpose, name, identity. It's without beginning or ending,birthless, deathless, aliveness beingness ever present presence in which everything it is constantly and simultaneously appearing and disappearing from within itself returning to itself. It's empty and full. There is no entity who knows it, owns it or can claim it to be anything other than what it is. What begins ends, nothingness sustains.
So you don't know. Just kidding. That is nice way of explaining the Brahman a shown by Shiva during his Taandav nritya (dance). I don't know whether you are aware of the concept of the Hindu Brahman but you have described it pretty well.
Last edited by sthitapragya on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

sthitapragya wrote:
So you don't know.
No one knows.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Dontaskme wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:
So you don't know.
No one knows.
Ah. You read my post before I edited it.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

sthitapragya wrote: So you don't know. Just kidding. That is nice way of explaining the Brahman a shown by Shiva during his Taandav nritya (dance). I don't know whether you are aware of the concept of the Hindu Brahman but you have described it pretty well.
Thanks, and yes I am aware of the Hindu Brahman. But in fact I was first drawn to Sufism in the search for the meaning of life. My search is now over.