Do you see the power?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AiR

Do you see the power?

Post by AiR »

Do you see the power? Just look outside - you will see a bird fly. What makes the bird fly? Look up in the sky and you will see an airplane, you will see clouds. Outside the window, you can see flowers blooming, you will see a stream flowing, you can see your own eyes twinkling, your hands moving. What makes all this happen? There is a Power. Do you see the Power? We all see the power, but we do not acknowledge or recognize that power. We take it for granted. We don’t even think of it as something amazing because it seems so simple and it is everywhere. It is in the sun, the moon, the stars, the birds, the animals, the flowers. The power is in you, the power is in me. The power creates the beautiful sunrise. It creates a sunset just as it creates the seasons; it creates the rain just as it creates snowfall. Every time we see something, we can see the power if we look deeper. We notice a beautiful fish swimming, but we don’t see the power that makes the fish swim. We see a bird flying, but imagine if this bird had no power? It would drop dead. What if my Power suddenly disappeared? I would stop talking!

We see everything around us but do we see and appreciate the Power?

AiR
mickthinks

Re: Do you see the power?

Post by mickthinks »

Energy is indeed everywhere. In fact, ever since Einstein taught us that energy and matter are exchangeable, there is a sense in which everything is energy.

Is that what you are trying to tell us, AiR? What makes you think that your message is needed?
Walker

Post by Walker »

AiR’s telling is relevant to parallel topics currently active. For instance, consider that soul energy called spirit is a physical but subtle force, and that it is finite. This has serious implications, for there are only so many drops in the ocean. How many, 10 billion? And what draws on this energy, only human earth-life? The implication is that 10 thousand life forms drawing all of the finite source will individually be more energized than an individual of the 10 billion life forms drawing its ration of the finite source. Of course this is simple logical conjecture based on the premise that the soul is a subtle form of finite physical energy as yet too subtle to be physically measured, and that humans collectively are the totality of the well. Though such conjecture does support mythologies that say man once lived for a very long time.
AiR

Post by AiR »

mickthinks wrote:Energy is indeed everywhere. In fact, ever since Einstein taught us that energy and matter are exchangeable, there is a sense in which everything is energy.

Is that what you are trying to tell us, AiR? What makes you think that your message is needed?
When I shared my thought on ‘Do you see the power?’, this was my concern. We see energy, but we don’t see the ‘power’ that is the energy. Yes, it is life force. Yes, there is energy everywhere, but what is the source of this energy? Did that energy come from nowhere? It is not just energy, but it is power, and it is one universal power – the same power that makes the rotation of Earth and the revolution of Earth around the sun possible. This power is beyond human comprehension. It is a power that makes the bird and the butterfly fly and the fish swim. We see these things happening, but do we stop to think the following: What is this power? Where did this energy come from? How did it appear? Who is this energy? What is this energy? This is my question – ‘Do we see the power behind this so-called energy?’

AiR
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

AiR wrote:Do you see the power? Just look outside - you will see a bird fly. What makes the bird fly? ...
Wings and a light skeleton.
Look up in the sky and you will see an airplane, you will see clouds. Outside the window, you can see flowers blooming, you will see a stream flowing, you can see your own eyes twinkling, your hands moving. What makes all this happen?
Engineering, evaporation, photosynthesis, precipitation and gravity.
There is a Power. Do you see the Power? We all see the power, but we do not acknowledge or recognize that power. We take it for granted. We don’t even think of it as something amazing because it seems so simple and it is everywhere. It is in the sun, the moon, the stars, the birds, the animals, the flowers. The power is in you, the power is in me. ...
As has been pointed out we call it Energy nowadays in the West.
The power creates the beautiful sunrise. It creates a sunset just as it creates the seasons; it creates the rain just as it creates snowfall. ...
Er!? That'll be our body and orbital mechanics.
Every time we see something, we can see the power if we look deeper. We notice a beautiful fish swimming, but we don’t see the power that makes the fish swim. We see a bird flying, but imagine if this bird had no power? It would drop dead. What if my Power suddenly disappeared? I would stop talking!

Well I agree that we should take time to appreciate being alive but why should we appreciate Energy?
AiR

Post by AiR »

Arising_uk wrote: Well I agree that we should take time to appreciate being alive but why should we appreciate Energy?
If one says, “Of course, I should appreciate the rose, but why should I appreciate the seed that created the rose?” – then one is being blind to the fact that the rose comes from the seed. If we truly want to appreciate the creation, the power that is beyond human comprehension, then we have to appreciate the energy – as all that we are able to comprehend is this energy. Take time to stop and look around you. Wherever you are, when you open your eyes and look around, you will see a power everywhere. Stop and contemplate – what is this power? It is this power or energy that creates everything that you and me appreciate. It is the power of creation. It is the mystery called life.

AiR
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

AiR wrote:If one says, “Of course, I should appreciate the rose, but why should I appreciate the seed that created the rose?” – then one is being blind to the fact that the rose comes from the seed. ...
And the seed comes from?
If we truly want to appreciate the creation, the power that is beyond human comprehension, then we have to appreciate the energy – as all that we are able to comprehend is this energy. ...
I thought it 'beyond human comprehension'? As such, along with everyone else, you are just guessing all this stuff. What we can comprehend is the phenomena not the noumena and you make a lot of assumptions about the latter.
Take time to stop and look around you. Wherever you are, when you open your eyes and look around, you will see a power everywhere. Stop and contemplate – what is this power? ...
Apparently its 'beyond human comprehension'?
It is this power or energy that creates everything that you and me appreciate. It is the power of creation. It is the mystery called life. ...
So?
AiR

Post by AiR »

Arising_uk wrote:Apparently its 'beyond human comprehension'?
It is this power or energy that creates everything that you and me appreciate. It is the power of creation. It is the mystery called life. ...
So?
Interesting questions you ask one after the other, but finally your question is so. If I have to ask the question to myself, I would say I have to surrender to this power, which is beyond my comprehension. But I have to know and realize that there is a power that exists – a power beyond all religions, a power that is not religion, or a power we call ‘God’. We don’t know if it is male, female, or what the power is. It is absolutely beyond human comprehension, but there is a power. So I would divinely accept and absolutely surrender to this power and live doing the will of the power till my journey of life is over.

AiR
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

... I have to surrender to this power

A strange leap from "There is energy in everything" to "I must surrender to it"!

I can understand how if one is faced with some person with a will and more power to impose it than one has to resist it and follow one's own will, then one must surrender or die. But why are you convinced that the existence of energy entails a single will behind it that opposes your own? I believe there is no such necessary connection.

Why and, indeed, how should I surrender to the energy of a photon?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

AiR wrote:Do you see the power? Just look outside - you will see a bird fly. What makes the bird fly? Look up in the sky and you will see an airplane, you will see clouds. Outside the window, you can see flowers blooming, you will see a stream flowing, you can see your own eyes twinkling, your hands moving. What makes all this happen? There is a Power. Do you see the Power? We all see the power, but we do not acknowledge or recognize that power. We take it for granted. We don’t even think of it as something amazing because it seems so simple and it is everywhere. It is in the sun, the moon, the stars, the birds, the animals, the flowers. The power is in you, the power is in me. The power creates the beautiful sunrise. It creates a sunset just as it creates the seasons; it creates the rain just as it creates snowfall. Every time we see something, we can see the power if we look deeper. We notice a beautiful fish swimming, but we don’t see the power that makes the fish swim. We see a bird flying, but imagine if this bird had no power? It would drop dead. What if my Power suddenly disappeared? I would stop talking!

AiR
Are we talking about Superman?
Greta

Post by Greta »

You only really appreciate the power when you're laid up with illness, when motivating yourself to get up for a drink of water seems like a Sisyphean task. We tend to take the power the body needs to overcome gravity and inertia for granted (along with pretty well everything else).
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote:You only really appreciate the power when you're laid up with illness, when motivating yourself to get up for a drink of water seems like a Sisyphean task. We tend to take the power the body needs to overcome gravity and inertia for granted (along with pretty well everything else).
Take 'the power' from where, exactly? Can this power be measured as it flows from what you say is external? No, its all in internal. You decide to get up and drink the water. Nothing flows to you from outside, save air, nourishment, and sensory stimuli. And if you disagree, please show me how you have detected this power, that you can talk about it as a reality.

Now, you can be motivated by your beliefs in some higher power to get out of bed and drink.. I don't doubt that. But it's still you, nothing more. It's a mental placebo.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=w ... 0DKy98aHpw
blu

Post by blu »

AiR - I see the power, but unlike you I see the whole of its consequences, not just the pwetty parts. I see suffering on a colossal scale and in forms which could scarcely be attributed to the imagination of someone with the most revolting nature - thalidomide victims, children with their eyeballs bored out by parasitic worms, cancer, jaw-dropping ignorance and hatred; stupidity, gullibility, cruelty, despair, ugliness and injustice. I see the majority of people cheerfully electing leaders on the basis of ludicrously fatuous promises of selfish happiness, and professing religious or mystical beliefs that owe 100 times as much to what it comforts them to believe than to the simplest degree of reason which would enable them to have at least some chance of reducing suffering.

I see the power, but unlike you I do not willingly "surrender to this power and live doing the will of the power till my journey of life is over".
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Greta wrote:You only really appreciate the power when you're laid up with illness, when motivating yourself to get up for a drink of water seems like a Sisyphean task. We tend to take the power the body needs to overcome gravity and inertia for granted (along with pretty well everything else).
Take 'the power' from where, exactly? Can this power be measured as it flows from what you say is external? No, its all in internal. You decide to get up and drink the water. Nothing flows to you from outside, save air, nourishment, and sensory stimuli. And if you disagree, please show me how you have detected this power, that you can talk about it as a reality.

Now, you can be motivated by your beliefs in some higher power to get out of bed and drink.. I don't doubt that. But it's still you, nothing more. It's a mental placebo.
Sure. Though, as side note, I would not knock the placebo effect; it's a deep phenomenon.

My point was simple - we take our power for granted and you only really appreciate that when you are very ill or tired. Otherwise you just get up and go. The power we have comes from the electrons absorbed via food, water and respiration. However, when you are sick, much of the body's energy will be devoted to eliminating or neutralising problematic organisms and/or toxins, making less power available for movement.

I am surprised that you would speak to me as though I am a theist when my prior 400+ posts have made it clear that I am not. Hello Davros, remember me? We have spoken amiably before. Did you think I had a sudden conversion or am perhaps a closet theist?

This happens a lot on forums. It seems rather mechanistic - taking posts at face value in a single context without considering a person's prior history or interactions. There appears to be an inherent distrust in faceless communication. It's as though we half-expect familiar people online to suddenly change in ways that would shock us if it happened in real life.

So, no, Davros, I have not been converted. I was just noting that energy is interesting and shockingly important and elusive when you are sick. Maybe the point was so insignificant that you figured there had to be an extra agenda? It was, admittedly, a trivial point, but I find great fascination in the trivial, the things we take for granted.

That's why I don't pile on when everyone is taking a hit at AiR. My sister converted to the Jehovah's Witnesses in middle age and with each letter to me she would include an Awake! magazine. The articles would always start out great, with sound scientific information provided about some interesting phenomena and then, partway through, the writer would suddenly and inexplicably make a gigantic leap of logic and conclude "God musta dunnit", and from there would proceed with a series of quoted Bible passages with commentary. So I learned to read the good bits and stop when the polemic commenced.

That's basically what I choose to do with AiR's posts because I find positivity more interesting than negativity - and it physically makes me feel better. I am always punished for negativity with gastric reflux. It seems my body has opinions about how I should be using my mind - just another example of little bastard microbes pushing us around, it seems :lol:

For me, negativity is useful when I need to retreat. It comes when I am tired of being buffeted around by life or my own errant mental processes. So for a while I don't like anyone and, protected by this shield of lame hostility, I retreat and heal until I'm ready for more buffeting.

I hope this clarifies things a little. If not, I hope it was at least entertaining.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

AiR wrote:Interesting questions you ask one after the other, ...
Even more so that you don't reply to them.
but finally your question is so. ...
Not so, just a consequence of your thoughts, answer it first if you wish but I'd still be interested in answers to the rest
If I have to ask the question to myself, I would say I have to surrender to this power, which is beyond my comprehension. But I have to know and realize that there is a power that exists – a power beyond all religions, a power that is not religion, or a power we call ‘God’. We don’t know if it is male, female, or what the power is. It is absolutely beyond human comprehension, but there is a power. So I would divinely accept and absolutely surrender to this power and live doing the will of the power till my journey of life is over. ...
I can see why the fundamentalist appeals but really? Without knowing anything about something and thinking it even beyond knowing you're giving up the ability to think and makes choices for yourself? I can again see the appeal but given you have no fucking clue about this 'thing' and never will, how the hell do you know what 'its' 'will' is? So what is it that you are doing when you surrender to 'its' power? That is what actions will you be 'choosing' to take?