The world is (almost) godless !

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

manden
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 pm

The world is (almost) godless !

Post by manden » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:08 pm

I am the only one , who could recognize the EXISTENCE of the real creator of the universe .

Why are the most people against and (almost) nobody for the real creator of the universe ?

Because they want to do what they WANT , and not what the real creator of the universe WANTS (from them) !

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Dalek Prime » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:20 pm

The creator is not owed anything. Show me the IOU, or desist.

manden
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by manden » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Are you really sure that you exist ? With a brain ?

thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by thedoc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:49 pm

Manden, you are Godless, the world is doing fine.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Dalek Prime » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:51 pm

manden wrote:Are you really sure that you exist ? With a brain ?
As the experiencer of this consciousness, yes, it's real enough for me. Now, I ask again for you to produce the IOU, if you please. Otherwise, I will consider myself debt free of the creator.

thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by thedoc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:19 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
manden wrote:Are you really sure that you exist ? With a brain ?
As the experiencer of this consciousness, yes, it's real enough for me. Now, I ask again for you to produce the IOU, if you please. Otherwise, I will consider myself debt free of the creator.
I would think that the first order of business is to establish that there is a creator, otherwise there is no-one to owe anything to. The IOU could easily be fabricated or a forgery. Even a certificate of authenticity is useless, especially if it is signed by someone with no credentials or authority, and Manden has neither.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11988
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Arising_uk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:07 am

manden wrote:I am the only one , who could recognize the EXISTENCE of the real creator of the universe .

Why are the most people against and (almost) nobody for the real creator of the universe ?
Er!? Because you are the only one?
Because they want to do what they WANT , and not what the real creator of the universe WANTS (from them) !
How on earth do you know this?

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Dalek Prime » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:15 am

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
manden wrote:Are you really sure that you exist ? With a brain ?
As the experiencer of this consciousness, yes, it's real enough for me. Now, I ask again for you to produce the IOU, if you please. Otherwise, I will consider myself debt free of the creator.
I would think that the first order of business is to establish that there is a creator, otherwise there is no-one to owe anything to. The IOU could easily be fabricated or a forgery. Even a certificate of authenticity is useless, especially if it is signed by someone with no credentials or authority, and Manden has neither.
For your benefit, I accept 'a creator'. And as I've signed neither IOU nor covenant, God's case will likely be tossed from court.

thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by thedoc » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: As the experiencer of this consciousness, yes, it's real enough for me. Now, I ask again for you to produce the IOU, if you please. Otherwise, I will consider myself debt free of the creator.
I would think that the first order of business is to establish that there is a creator, otherwise there is no-one to owe anything to. The IOU could easily be fabricated or a forgery. Even a certificate of authenticity is useless, especially if it is signed by someone with no credentials or authority, and Manden has neither.
For your benefit, I accept 'a creator'. And as I've signed neither IOU nor covenant, God's case will likely be tossed from court.
Then on that point we can agree, and I think it would be endless fun to speculate on the nature of that creator, but that takes a lot of energy and sometimes I, being quite lazy, just don't feel like working that hard.

This all reminds me of a story I read.
A group of souls were at a fence deciding whether to go with Jesus or Satan. Eventually they all made a choice except for one man sitting on the fence. Awhile after everyone had left, Satan came back and said "There you are, come with me." and the man said, "But I didn't choose either, I stayed on the fence." to which Satan replied, "That's OK, I own the fence."

manden
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by manden » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:47 pm

WHO really can think exact simple logically , k n o w s , that this life is n o t h i n g , if there is nothing more !

BUT YOU ALL LIE TO YOURSELF DAY FOR DAY !

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Dalek Prime » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:01 am

manden wrote:WHO really can think exact simple logically , k n o w s , that this life is n o t h i n g , if there is nothing more !

BUT YOU ALL LIE TO YOURSELF DAY FOR DAY !
This life is absurd, but not 'nothing'. I would prefer nothing. And that's no lie. :wink:

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Greta » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 am

manden wrote:I am the only one , who could recognize the EXISTENCE of the real creator of the universe .

Why are the most people against and (almost) nobody for the real creator of the universe ?

Because they want to do what they WANT , and not what the real creator of the universe WANTS (from them) !
Yes, you are very likely the only one to recognise your version of the "real creator of the universe".

You and billions of other theists, all with different dreams and ideas about your preferred deities - their preferences, influences and essential nature. The texts that provide us with mythical models of reality can be interpreted so many ways (with the translations eminently arguable) that almost every theist has a unique idea of who/what they are worshipping.

Non theists too have their own gods that go by different names - love, nature, industry, art, the scientific method, etc - things they feel some sense of awe and worship towards.

I do agree that gratitude is appropriate to one's preferred anthropomorphic or natural entity. Each of us is the winner of a life-and-death race between countless sperms - seeds both inserted and spilled through the course of a man's lifetime. A similar race applies to the couple of million eggs women produce in their lifetimes. You have won a lottery of astronomical odds. Our fortune even greater as human beings living in comfortable situations, sheltered from the elements, secure food and clean water supplies, happily tapping away as we communicate abstract ideas with others thousands of ks away. There is almost zero chance that I will be ambushed, disemboweled and eaten alive - a situation many animals can't enjoy.

We are all exceptionally lucky IMO. I am a fan of the idiom, "Make hay while the sun shines, for tomorrow it may rain."

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Dalek Prime » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:46 am

Theism wouldn't be so bad if it was a private affair, and not something that is often lorded over the rest of us who just want a little P&Q, and to think freely. We have enough constraints in this existence without another layer of authority and rules added.

Obvious Leo
Posts: 4007
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Obvious Leo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:53 am

Greta wrote:There is almost zero chance that I will be ambushed, disemboweled and eaten alive
Indeed. The evolution of human intelligence has taken all the frisson and excitement out of being alive.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4389
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: The world is (almost) godless !

Post by Greta » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:Theism wouldn't be so bad if it was a private affair, and not something that is often lorded over the rest of us who just want a little P&Q, and to think freely. We have enough constraints in this existence without another layer of authority and rules added.
Religion's grip on the west is weakening. Although the new atheists like Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, the late Hitch etc are widely derided, I give them a fair bit of credit for puncturing religion's "untouchable" status. People were much more worried about the repercussions of "blasphemy" than today.
Obvious Leo wrote:Indeed. The evolution of human intelligence has taken all the frisson and excitement out of being alive.
Now we get excited at tax time :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests