Follow the Kiwi

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Obvious Leo

Follow the Kiwi

Post by Obvious Leo »

Once again the tiny nation of New Zealand is leading the world in terms of its tolerance towards minority interest groups. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been officially recognised by the New Zealand government as a legitimate religious institution able to perform formal and legally recognised marriage ceremonies. It will also enjoy all the other state-sanctioned privileges which are accorded to religious institutions and it has also been acknowledged as a tax-exempt charitable body.

When asked about the theological stance of this Pastafarian organisation an official spokesman of the government said this: 'I don't know exactly what it is that they believe in but I'd imagine it would be neither more nor less ridiculous than what any of its competitors believe".
Skip

Re: Follow the Kiwi

Post by Skip »

ALL RIGHT!!!!!
What are the funeral rites like and do they have their own cemetery yet?
(Well, I'm too old to care about weddings.)
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

The "Flying Spaghetti Monster" was first described in a satirical open letter written by Bobby Henderson in 2005 to protest the Kansas State Board of Education decision to permit teaching intelligent design as an alternative to evolution in public school science classes. In that letter, Henderson satirized creationism by professing his belief that whenever a scientist carbon-dates an object, a supernatural creator that closely resembles spaghetti and meatballs is there "changing the results with His Noodly Appendage". Henderson argued that his beliefs were just as valid as intelligent design, and called for equal time in science classrooms alongside intelligent design and evolution. After Henderson published the letter on his website, the Flying Spaghetti Monster rapidly became an Internet phenomenon and a symbol of opposition to the teaching of intelligent design in public schools.[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster]
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I rather like the idea of an intelligent designer with a noodly appendage so in my view the Kiwis are showing a finely nuanced sense of aesthetic taste. Hail the new Messiah and knowest thou that thy redeemer liveth.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Obvious Leo wrote:I rather like the idea of an intelligent designer with a noodly appendage so in my view the Kiwis are showing a finely nuanced sense of aesthetic taste. Hail the new Messiah and knowest thou that thy redeemer liveth.
A religion that befits its purpose!

With luck, the observers of the religion are not, or will not, be required to destroy, behead, drown, immolate, execute, torture, or otherwise attack non-believers who see no need to convert to the pasta way of life.

Is it large enough to encompass the good, the bad, the ugly, the Maori and the critics?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Walker wrote: Is it large enough to encompass the good, the bad, the ugly, the Maori and the critics?
I'd guess that this church will welcome all comers with open arms. I travel to New Zealand a lot and spend a lot of time amongst the sheep-shaggers so I reckon I know what this religion is all about. It appears suspiciously like a thinly-veiled excuse for a piss-up to me.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Obvious Leo wrote:Once again the tiny nation of New Zealand is leading the world in terms of its tolerance towards minority interest groups. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been officially recognised by the New Zealand government as a legitimate religious institution able to perform formal and legally recognised marriage ceremonies. It will also enjoy all the other state-sanctioned privileges which are accorded to religious institutions and it has also been acknowledged as a tax-exempt charitable body.

When asked about the theological stance of this Pastafarian organisation an official spokesman of the government said this: 'I don't know exactly what it is that they believe in but I'd imagine it would be neither more nor less ridiculous than what any of its competitors believe".
The only thing wrong with this is the fact that religions receive "state sanctioned benefits" (whatever they are).
Actually - what are they?
A religion is like any other money making club, and needs to pay its taxes on profits like anyone else, or spend those profits on recognisable charitable projects.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
The only thing wrong with this is the fact that religions receive "state sanctioned benefits" (whatever they are).
I'm not sure. No doubt they vary from state to state but I'm pretty sure that in NZ religious institutions don't pay income tax, for instance. Maybe this mob might even get a gnocchi subsidy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

There might be room for a variety of sects that respect and incorporate the essence of older local customs, both with and without sauce, for the purpose of merging with the manifest deity. Sects such as the Head to Toe Marinara, Alfredo, Clam, or an indeterminate bland white flavored with wine, perhaps a touch of pepper once a week. Fundamentalist sects would trend to the unadorned but after all, New Zealanders are human, and likely allow for a light pasta tossing with paramasen and a garlic-infused olive oil.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Obvious Leo wrote:I rather like the idea of an intelligent designer with a noodly appendage....
Me too, or like an upside down broken leg of Italy suggesting now and finally by all short-sighted atheists, a decree that the Vatican can go fuck themselves with all their nonsense.

Yes, lets give them the Wellington boot!
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Walker wrote:after all, New Zealanders are human,
The jury is still out on this one.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I'm not sure. No doubt they vary from state to state but I'm pretty sure that in NZ religious institutions don't pay income tax, for instance. Maybe this mob might even get a gnocchi subsidy.
Are they likely to have an income? Until then, you really don't need to worry about taxes or tax exemptions.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

You need to understand that I haven't done any extensive research on the Pastafarians, Skip, and my entire knowledge of this new religion is based on a brief radio interview with one of its devotees. However it seems they do actually raise funds and do charitable works amongst the socially disadvantaged. Perhaps they offer a bolognese tent to compete with the Salvation Army's soup caravan.
The Inglorious One

Post by The Inglorious One »

When the Apocalypse comes, I'll break out with my "happy dance," as the human species will have deserved it.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Obvious Leo wrote:You need to understand that I haven't done any extensive research on the Pastafarians, Skip, and my entire knowledge of this new religion is based on a brief radio interview with one of its devotees. However it seems they do actually raise funds and do charitable works amongst the socially disadvantaged. Perhaps they offer a bolognese tent to compete with the Salvation Army's soup caravan.
Well, that's still all right. Any charity can be tax-exempt, so long as it puts something like 12% of the collected money to the designated purpose. I don't really know what the legal limit is, but most charities, religious and secular, write off some percent as overhead and many get away with hefty salaries for their executives (while volunteers do most of the work). Of course, the professional fundraisers, administrators, facilitators, clerks, etc. still have to pay income tax. So do Catholic priests.