Why Do We Suffer?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Osric

Why Do We Suffer?

Post by Osric »

I think we suffer because of things we have done in our past lives and for the things we do in our current life. Not just as punishment, but to walk in another person's shoes. To feel how it feels to be the victim. Maybe we even have to experience what it feels like to be a killer somewhere along our multiple lives. Then why don't we remember these past life experiences? Maybe I'm crazy and they never happened, or maybe if you knew something was going to happen then you wouldn't respond the same way to it. So it is important to not expect it, so you can experience it to the fullest.

Everyone is quick to judge and condemn people to torture and punishment. Thinking punishment is a suitable way to deal with people is absurd to me. But I guess it is cosmic justice. But I think we can change people in the here and know with proper techniques. Most people who go to prison don't change and are often more messed up than they were before they went to prison. So I challenge people to come up with more productive forms of treatment for those who break the law. Right now all it seems we are doing is removing people without addressing the real problems causing the negative behaviors to begin with.

Poverty, lack of intellect, desperation, lack of education, psychological problems, a person's past, addiction, loneliness, and many more are all factors in many crimes. We look the other way, when it is our ignorance that causes the majority of problems in our societies in this day and age. Maybe we are all beasts and this is all survival of the fittest, but I hope for more from life. So far it has been a disappointment. Not that I am anyone worth impressing, but I guess my message in these last two paragraphs is try not to judge so much. After all, if we were in each others bodies, had each others experiences, brain chemistry, and so many other factors what would we do in each others situations?

Maybe there is a method to all this madness. Maybe we all are given these challenges to show our empathy and compassion. We have all done things wrong in our life, who are we to pass judgement on each other? I admit, some people just don't care about what they do. Even not caring should be seen as an illness needing addressing. Find out what turned off their caring. Find out what caused them to act the way they did to begin with. As beings who dwell in this existence we deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. Too be continued.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Why Do We Suffer?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Osric wrote:I think we suffer because of things we have done in our past lives and for the things we do in our current life....y. Too be continued.
How absurd.
Who's keeping count?
What past lives?
Osric

Post by Osric »

We, as beings are keeping count, and as long as we do so the cycle will continue until we all forgive and move on. This is just my personal belief, if you don't agree with it I won't be offended. I'm merely sharing to see if there are like minded individuals out there who could offer some input on this, or maybe a person who could completely disprove everything I say. Either way, all anyone ever does is speculate about things at first, usually with some foundation with evidence. We put our faith in a lot of things, including science. I find it hard to believe in anything that someone tells me until I come to understand it myself. Even if I'm wrong, the overall message itself is pretty positive.

I think there exists a cycle of hatred and anger towards each other for the things we have done and continue to do. As long as this cycle exists, we exist in a state of suffering or the possibility of suffering. By experiencing what it feels like to be in everyone's shoes, then there would be no need for the cycle to continue.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Osric wrote:We, as beings are keeping count, and as long as we do so the cycle will continue until we all forgive and move on. This is just my personal belief, if you don't agree with it I won't be offended. I'm merely sharing to see if there are like minded individuals out there who could offer some input on this, or maybe a person who could completely disprove everything I say. Either way, all anyone ever does is speculate about things at first, usually with some foundation with evidence. We put our faith in a lot of things, including science. I find it hard to believe in anything that someone tells me until I come to understand it myself. Even if I'm wrong, the overall message itself is pretty positive.

I think there exists a cycle of hatred and anger towards each other for the things we have done and continue to do. As long as this cycle exists, we exist in a state of suffering or the possibility of suffering. By experiencing what it feels like to be in everyone's shoes, then there would be no need for the cycle to continue.
Look around you specially at nature. It is very very violent. Everything is killing everything else to survive. Extinctions happen pretty routinely. Animals kill other animals to live. Humans kill other humans due to greed or in anger or misplaced ideologies. Microbes and bad genes add to that. Natural disasters like floods, volcanoes, earthquakes, asteroid strikes etc are routine. Look at nature objectively. It is completely and ruthlessly violent. So expecting forgiveness to take care of all the violence in the universe seems naive. How do you expect forgiveness to stop diseases, genetic disorders or nature just doing its stuff? Can forgiveness stop earthquakes and volcanoes? At the most, if humans learn to forgive and become truly peaceful, we will stop killing each other. But expecting nature to become peaceful too is just wishful thinking.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

There are many kinds and lvls of suffering.

War, natural disasters.

Lack of economy makes people suffer, often they lack clean drinking water, hospitals, schools, etc, etc.

Then there's the ritch kind of suffering, the induced hysteria, when filthy ritch people are depressed, it can be due to too demanding work, bullying, or just an empty life, etc.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

First of all, drop the reincarnation horseshit, and the cosmic justice. There is none.

Why do we suffer? We exist with daily needs, which signal discomfort if they are not fulfilled, over and over again. And pain receptors fire when we do damage to our physicality. And our consciousness allows us to ponder doing these things every day of our lives, for a reason never understood, except to continue because we fear discontinuation. That's just our burden. And we only do it once, but can make ourselves suffer even more by convincing ourselves we do it repeatedly, ala reincarnation.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Osric wrote:I think we suffer because of things we have done in our past lives and for the things we do in our current life. Not just as punishment, but to walk in another person's shoes. To feel how it feels to be the victim. .
What if, like me, one does not think they have suffered that much through life and thinks he has even gotten further than he thought he would?

Does that mean I was so evil in my past life, not that I believe in it, that I must now walk in the shoes of one who is quite happy to have suffered so little?

Regards
DL
Skip

Post by Skip »

We suffer because the world in which we live is full of hard, cold, sharp, heavy, toxic and otherwise dangerous objects. It's also inhabited by hungry, angry, frightened, sharp, hard, heavy, toxic and otherwise dangerous life-forms. Most of us are hungry, angry, frightened, cold, bad, mad and/or diseased and in various ways dangerous to one another.

And some of us are stupid enough to go looking for gratuitous forms of suffering, like wondering what they might have done wrong in some putative, unremembered, unrecorded previous lives.

If that's not enough reasons to suffer, I can sell you slightly-used vengeful god with only half a dozen filicides on his hands.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Skip wrote:We suffer because the world in which we live is full of hard, cold, sharp, heavy, toxic and otherwise dangerous objects. It's also inhabited by hungry, angry, frightened, sharp, hard, heavy, toxic and otherwise dangerous life-forms. Most of us are hungry, angry, frightened, cold, bad, mad and/or diseased and in various ways dangerous to one another.

And some of us are stupid enough to go looking for gratuitous forms of suffering, like wondering what they might have done wrong in some putative, unremembered, unrecorded previous lives.

If that's not enough reasons to suffer, I can sell you slightly-used vengeful god with only half a dozen filicides on his hands.
You either overstate you situation or are just a cowardly wimp with no back bone.

When was the last time you faced anything evil wimp?

Regards
DL
Greta

Post by Greta »

We suffer due to entropy. To be alive is to briefly resist the constant destruction that is an intrinsic part of how reality works. So each of us must decline and die, and feel pain as a warning of entropic threats. I've also noticed with age that if you don't make yourself suffer with work, exercise, eating restraint etc then suffering comes to you in the form of weight related issues, sickness, pains etc.

BTW, based on my understanding of Buddhism, karma is not an accounting system so much as an accumulation of cause and effect. It's more akin to getting fat due to overconsumption of junk food than a deity in a cosmic courtroom judging supersizers for being a bit greedy.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Greta wrote:We suffer due to entropy. To be alive is to briefly resist the constant destruction that is an intrinsic part of how reality works. So each of us must decline and die, and feel pain as a warning of entropic threats. I've also noticed with age that if you don't make yourself suffer with work, exercise, eating restraint etc then suffering comes to you in the form of weight related issues, sickness, pains etc.

BTW, based on my understanding of Buddhism, karma is not an accounting system so much as an accumulation of cause and effect. It's more akin to getting fat due to overconsumption of junk food than a deity in a cosmic courtroom judging supersizers for being a bit greedy.
Life is the greatest gift nature can inadvertently give us.

To resent the bit of pain and death that comes with it is being rather unthankful for our greatest gift.

Regards
DL
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greatest I am wrote:
Greta wrote:We suffer due to entropy. To be alive is to briefly resist the constant destruction that is an intrinsic part of how reality works. So each of us must decline and die, and feel pain as a warning of entropic threats. I've also noticed with age that if you don't make yourself suffer with work, exercise, eating restraint etc then suffering comes to you in the form of weight related issues, sickness, pains etc.

Life is the greatest gift nature can inadvertently give us.

To resent the bit of pain and death that comes with it is being rather unthankful for our greatest gift.

Regards
DL
Fuck you and the 'gift', twat. Speak for yourself.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Dalek Prime wrote:[
I do and would not put my words into your filthy crybaby mouth.

Life is really hard for you to take with that little hangnail isn't it?

Regards
DL
Skip

Post by Skip »

Did somebody put a wasp in GIA's helmet?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greatest I am wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:[
I do and would not put my words into your filthy crybaby mouth.

Life is really hard for you to take with that little hangnail isn't it?

Regards
DL
Yeah? What's this then, twerp?
Greatest I am wrote: Life is the greatest gift nature can inadvertently give us.

Don't preach to me, you self-righteous 'Gnostic' fraud.