How to truly Love God

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: How to truly Love God

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

The Inglorious One wrote:hehehehe. I love it when "enlightened" atheists show their true colors.
You'd best run along you are making a fool of yourself.
AiR

Post by AiR »

sthitapragya wrote:
AiR wrote:An interesting thought flashed across my mind. The thought was how to truly love God. And the first thought that came to my mind was that the only way to love God was to stop loving everything else. Many spiritual leaders do that. They renounce everything else; they renounce all people, they renounce all relationships, they renounce food, they renounce fun, they even renounce sunrises and sunsets, but what happens when you renounce everything beautiful that is manifested by God? You become cynical, you become negative, you become bored of life. How can a cynical, negative, bored person love God? Therefore the answer itself came from God, the super conscious flashed. The only way to truly love God is not to stop loving everybody and everything, but to love the manifester in everybody and the manifester in everything. Therefore, if I love that person as that person is, that is not loving God, but if I love that person as a creation of God, that is loving God. When I love somebody, if the thought behind my love is the glory of God, when I love somebody, if the thought behind is not physical, but spiritual, that love is absolutely, absolutely the right thing to do. If I love the sunset but love just the physical attributes of the sunset, that’s not loving God, but if I love the sunset and feel amazed at the creation of the Creator, that is absolutely loving God. Therefore, “don’t stop loving” is the thought that comes to me; rather, increase your love, but love as if you are loving God.

AiR
What happens if it turns out there is no God? The possibility is infinitesimal in your mind but what if there is no God? Do we then stop loving everyone and start hating them? Is there then no purpose of life at all? Does the sunset suddenly become not beautiful? Does the person you love suddenly become unworthy of love? Basically, what is plan B?
Basically there is no plan B, because if there is an earth and if there is you and me, whether we are creations or manifestations, there has to be a creator. We don’t know who the creator is, what the creator is, where the creator is, but there has to be a creator. If there is something that is created, then there is no question of not having a creator. There is a plan B, here it is: live with faith, with hope, with trust, with enthusiasm and such questions will never arise in your life again.

AiR
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

AiR wrote:
Basically there is no plan B, because if there is an earth and if there is you and me, whether we are creations or manifestations, there has to be a creator. We don’t know who the creator is, what the creator is, where the creator is, but there has to be a creator. If there is something that is created, then there is no question of not having a creator. There is a plan B, here it is: live with faith, with hope, with trust, with enthusiasm and such questions will never arise in your life again.
Well, I don't have any question that there is no creator. I am sure there is no creator. If there is a creator, It will make no difference to me. That is why the question is directed at you. If you are right and there is a creator, then we will both be fine, because I don't care if there is a creator or not. But will it matter to you if I am right and there is no creator? Will it change your life? Basically, if I turn out to be right and there is no God, will you stop loving everybody? What will change for you?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

AiR wrote:An interesting thought flashed across my mind. The thought was how to truly love God.
Does love require reciprocity?

IOW, can love that just go one way be real and true love or does love only exist when there are two sharing it?

Example. I say I love Shania, but in reality it is just an obsession as she does not know me and we cannot have a reciprocal relationship.

I say I love my wife and in reality we can have a true love because we show each other that love by works and deeds daily.

You might see how familiar that sounds if you read St. James. and how he described faith and how Christians would be recognized by works and deeds.

So you saying you love God without any reciprocity just says that you are just enjoying an obsession.

So can you say you and God love each other if God never returns your love in any way?

Regards
DL
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Greatest I am wrote: Example. I say I love Shania, but in reality it is just an obsession as she does not know me and we cannot have a reciprocal relationship.

I say I love my wife and in reality we can have a true love because we show each other that love by works and deeds daily.
Does your wife know how you feel about Shania?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Harbal wrote:
Greatest I am wrote: Example. I say I love Shania, but in reality it is just an obsession as she does not know me and we cannot have a reciprocal relationship.

Does your wife know how you feel about Shania?
Sshhh. She might hear you. :D

I don't know but she would not likely care. Love is like that.

Regards
DL
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

There has only ever been one true way, but it has seemingly gone unknown to many. Make perfect benevolence the sole purpose and priority of your life.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Jaded Sage wrote:There has only ever been one true way, but it has seemingly gone unknown to many. Make perfect benevolence the sole purpose and priority of your life.
Sure, just tell God to do the same, the malevolent cvnt.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Jaded Sage wrote:There has only ever been one true way, but it has seemingly gone unknown to many. Make perfect benevolence the sole purpose and priority of your life.
There is not a scrap of evidence that there has always been 'a way" prescribed for us. Even if there were, it is not possible to say which of the many possible pathways is the correctly prescribed one.
No one is going to lead their life to a pathway on your say so.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

It is not unknown. It is ignored.

This scholar is trying to revive or create what you advocate.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

attofishpi wrote:
Sure, just tell God to do the same, the malevolent cvnt.
A good name for God if he existed as described in Christianity and Islam and was not just a myth.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
There is not a scrap of evidence that there has always been 'a way" prescribed for us. Even if there were, it is not possible to say which of the many possible pathways is the correctly prescribed one.
Yes there has been evidence of the right way but we have decided to collectively ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

If we wanted to change our competitive natures, all we would need do is train the next generation to follow their instincts instead of what the other generations are doing and we would end strife in the world.

Truth is though, if we take competition out of man's evolution, we might be destroying the whole species as the weak would inherit the earth and the strongest or fittest would weaken over time.

Jesus thought it good that the weak would inherit the earth but I do not.

Regards
DL
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

It is self-evident. As Heraclitus says, "Trust not my logos, but the Logos."

Sometimes the most obvious things are hardest to see.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Greatest I am wrote:
It is not unknown. It is ignored.

This scholar is trying to revive or create what you advocate.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Regards
DL
Ignored by some, no doubt. But few, I think. For many, I think it is somehow just too obvious to see.

Yes, Jesus himself said the law and the prophets are summed up in a single phrase which is the golden rule. You might be suprised to learn that the golden rule, in one form or another, is present in 22 religions, and in all of the 8 major world religions. Google it.

Yes, that line that says, "let the dead bury their own dead," definitely forces interpretation.
Last edited by Jaded Sage on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaded Sage

Post by Jaded Sage »

Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Yes there has been evidence of the right way but we have decided to collectively ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIc-4h9RIvY

If we wanted to change our competitive natures, all we would need do is train the next generation to follow their instincts instead of what the other generations are doing and we would end strife in the world.

Truth is though, if we take competition out of man's evolution, we might be destroying the whole species as the weak would inherit the earth and the strongest or fittest would weaken over time.

Jesus thought it good that the weak would inherit the earth but I do not.

Regards
DL
Very interesting. I like the idea of how that wouls lead to ths fulfillment of prophesy. Cool, man.