Atheists are smarter , but it seems also more creative.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Atheists are smarter , but it seems also more creative.

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Atheists tend to score higher in intelligence, as we have heard from time to time. But this article also includes creative thinking.
It always seemed obvious enough that a person self-identifying as an atheist is one who had at some point seriously thought about his position , and thus the statistics would mean that atheism was a good predictor of a reasonably good level of rational thinking, whilst those brought up within religion along with people of intelligence is also cluttered up with unthinking, followers.
You may disagree but intelligence can also be the ability to argue any point effectively regardless of the truth; clever obfuscation, goal-post changing; assuming the premise, and a whole host of other tricks that many here will have witnesses in our Theistic friends. So I do not suggest that you have to be stupid to be a Theist - but have another quality. I'll leave that up to you what you think I think that is.

But this revelation, below, requires a different explanation. Whereas Theism does not lead to stupidity, I think there is a good argument that some forms of Theism are perfectly capable of quashing creative thinking. Religiocity requires dogmatic thinking, it denies imagination and enforces rules and fixed ideas. It is less open minded; tends to be conformist, homophobic, misogynistic and even racist. To be part of a religion requires a person to belong. And belonging means sharing an ideology and a system of belief.

All these things might also apply to an Atheist, depending on what they might choose to believe. But for most atheists it is necessary to fundamentally question the nature of belief itself; and in rejecting ONE "Faith", it is more likely that atheism would also score higher for non-conformity, open mindedness - (but not the the point of believing in anything that comes along), and it being suspicious of belief itself. Creativity would enable a range of fantastical ideas to remain that way, rather than accepting any one as true, as the Theists have to.

http://thehumanist.com/arts_entertainme ... y-might-be
Dalek Prime

Re: Atheists are smarter , but it seems also more creative.

Post by Dalek Prime »

Antinatalists are smartest, no matter which side of the religious argument they're on. :wink:
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:Antinatalists are smartest, no matter which side of the religious argument they're on. :wink:
Antinatalists might as well be dead.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'd agree, if you were my flatmate.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:I'd agree, if you were my flatmate.
Are you proposing to me?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Antinatalists are smartest, no matter which side of the religious argument they're on. :wink:
Are you proposing to me?
Only if I'm assured a rejection. I just can't take acceptance anymore.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Are you blokes flirting again? Why not just tie the knot and be done with it?
Hobbes' Choice wrote:But for most atheists it is necessary to fundamentally question the nature of belief itself;
Yes. There's ample evidence for this. People who don't believe in god are far less likely to believe in ghosts, astrology, UFOs, conspiracy theories etc. There's an ancient truism which goes that the bigger the lie the easier it is to get people to swallow it so if you start them out as kids with a whopper like god it should be all downhill from there. You can get them to believe anything and thus have them eating out of your hand. If you don't believe me ask the pope.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Obvious Leo wrote:Are you blokes flirting again? Why not just tie the knot and be done with it?
I would, but a hangman's noose is complicated.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Naw, you just do like a necktie, only keep winding it around twelve more times.

Of course more creative people leave their religions. More creative people leave their home-towns, the career their fathers picked out for them, the high-school sweetheart and every other conservative, mind-numbing, self-denying straightjacket. that's what creative means: getting outside the assigned box.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Atheists tend to score higher in intelligence, as we have heard from time to time. But this article also includes creative thinking.

I think I would have to agree with you here...not that I have known a lot of atheists. But the ones I have known may not have been more creative artistically, but have been much more intelligent than most if not all of the Christians I have known.

The problem is that to be on team 'God'. Means that you not only can't say anything negative about God or anyone who practices Christianity, You can't say anything nice about an atheist. So if science is trying to discover things that to a Christian 'go against' religion, then science is 'against' God.

And the fact that I am even saying this will cause Christian heads to roll....I have never met a Christians who does not think I am going to hell for merely mentioning this idea of questioning organized religion. As if organized religion IS God and I am a blasphemer.

Anyway, I have always wondered how much more intelligent I might have been if I had not been raised by Christians.
Skip

Post by Skip »

You wouldn't be any more intelligent; you'd just be more aware of your intelligence. That's the real tragedy: It's all there, only it's getting squashed and deformed and denied. People id strictly organized, dogmatic religions have to spend so much of their mental energy fighting their inclinations, their doubts, questions, perceptions and ideas; their true nature, that there is very little left over for any original creation.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

artisticsolution wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Atheists tend to score higher in intelligence, as we have heard from time to time. But this article also includes creative thinking.

I think I would have to agree with you here...not that I have known a lot of atheists. But the ones I have known may not have been more creative artistically, but have been much more intelligent than most if not all of the Christians I have known.

The problem is that to be on team 'God'. Means that you not only can't say anything negative about God or anyone who practices Christianity, You can't say anything nice about an atheist. So if science is trying to discover things that to a Christian 'go against' religion, then science is 'against' God.

And the fact that I am even saying this will cause Christian heads to roll....I have never met a Christians who does not think I am going to hell for merely mentioning this idea of questioning organized religion. As if organized religion IS God and I am a blasphemer.

Anyway, I have always wondered how much more intelligent I might have been if I had not been raised by Christians.
I must be the 'odd man out' because I don't think that of you, however I will agree that organized religion is not the way to go, unless you are very clear in what you believe. I don't say 'out loud' everything that I honestly believe, because I know that it will only end in an argument, My pastor is the one exception, and my wife, but she just rolls her eyes when I speak up.

BTW, your intelligence is innate, and can only be enhanced, I really don't see how it can be diminished by your experiences as a young person. Everything you learn only adds to the store of knowledge you have, I don't believe that the human mind is as limited as once believed.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!"

Is Homer Simpson an atheist, or merely as 'S-M-R-T' as one? :roll:

Atheists are one-hit wonders that have swapped illusions of sacredness, and protecting that sacredness with the subversion myth that religionists are at the heart of the world's woes, and that, if only they could be converted or relegated to the dustbin, humanity could march on to it's future glory. Sound like a familiar story?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

""Atheists are smarter , but it seems also more creative.""

I know God exists from years of experience. I hate having to label myself Christian (since it was indicated to me that Jesus was the Christ).

I've written a sci-fi (cyberpunk) book, and once i fix my laptop will continue to write the follow-up. Ive exhibited paintings for the Adelaide fringe and am working on the next installment.

Since coming to know God exists, although the tests were extreme and drove me to suicide (i failed - maybe i'm too dumb), it has actually inspired me.

Most of my friends are atheist - none of them are creative, and i will have to admit their intelligence appears rather lacking in comparison to mine. My wit far exceeds any of them, luckily they have no interest in debating on internetz.

I have no doubt that compare the average American fundamentalist to a hard boiled egg, the hard boiled egg will have the higher IQ.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Are you proposing to me?
Only if I'm assured a rejection. I just can't take acceptance anymore.
Okay. get lost you bastard!