How To Tell Right From Wrong

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gustav Bjornstrand

Re: How To Tell Right From Wrong

Post by Gustav Bjornstrand »

Why 'dangerous' Obvious Leo?
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Gustav Bjornstrand wrote:Why 'dangerous' Obvious Leo?
Have you never read a history book? How many billions of lives have been needlessly wasted over the past few millennia in the service of exactly the ideologies you expound. One particular grouping in the world sets itself above all the others and declares itself the keeper of the keys, the final arbiter of the Ultimate Truth. Anybody who refuses to accept this self-proclamation is automatically defined as being too stupid to understand the "reasoning" behind it, stupid being synonymous with being "girly".

Don't you read the papers, shithead? Innocents are being beheaded even as we speak!!!
Gustav Bjornstrand

What 'ideology' am I 'expounding'? I have made some slight effort to outline the views of the Medieval era. Can you talk about this ideology?

Is it possible not to have any ideology? Since, as you say, they or it is so dangerous? What is the right or best ideology to have?

I spoke of mental disorganization and lack of preparation, never of 'stupidity'. Though stupidity is surely a real thing I doubt you or AS is stupid. It is not a word that I use. 'Girlishness' I did define and I do notice. I stand by it. I also said that like terms are interpreted as 'thoughtcrime'. There is some playful irony there too.

Everyone careens into death. Just as we come into life we also go into death. Worlds collide and annihilation occurs. And though there is such a thing as 'religious war' I do remember some good posts by Immanuel Can indicating that in our recent past the really destructive wars have not been wars of religion.

I do understand your 'logic' though (in quotes because it is silly, reductive thinking IMO). You hold the idea that you will do away with human conflict if you do away with religious belief.

I do want to mention that the topic here - loosely - is how Christians make decisions about right and wrong. I am at least on-topic in this sense.

But too it is my TONE that most irritates you. You can hardly bear it. IMyself, Ithink it is a far stronger position to keep ones cool and make efforts to communicate one's points.

Still I am going to call up a couple of ISIS homies and have them cut off 100 bourgeois occidental heads in the name of sheer nihilism.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Gustav Bjornstrand wrote:But too it is my TONE that most irritates you. You can hardly bear it.
You got this bit right at least. I've been in the philosophy business all my life and seldom do I get genuinely angry at the views of others. Pretenders such as you are ten a penny and your fatuous remarks are of themselves no more offensive than many others spouted by dilettantes a mile wide and only half an inch deep. However you go beyond the boundaries of the discourse because AS has attempted to present a thoughtful analysis of morality as it is applied to Christian theology. Not only have you declined to address the pertinent points which she raises you then go on to insult her in an egregious and completely unjustifiable fashion in order to bang your own superficial drum. It is NOT the case that those who reject the misogynistic ideology of the psychopathic Saul of Tarsus do so because they fail to understand it. In almost all cases they reject it because it is fundamentally immoral.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Again, there is only one way to tell right from wrong, Revelation 17:17: "For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled."
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

bobevenson wrote:Again, there is only one way to tell right from wrong, Revelation 17:17: "For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled."
What a dickhead.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Again, there is only one way to tell right from wrong, Revelation 17:17: "For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled."
What a dickhead.
Only a stupid motherfucking son-of-a-bitch would say something like that about the book of Revelation.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

bobevenson wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
What a dickhead.
Only a stupid motherfucking son-of-a-bitch would say something like that about the book of Revelation.
YOU are the dickhead. Revelation is a crock of shit.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

A bolt of lightning is what you need, motherfucker!
Gustav Bjornstrand

Nothing to add, Obvious Leo. When one gets angry it is sometimes difficult to locate the source of it. This is especially true in Internet-land.

More when the lightening lightens ...
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Gustav. Perhaps you should subject yourself to the same sort of rigorous self-examination which you so glibly accuse others of being incapable of. Sometimes it is necessary to look through the eyes of another in order to understand oneself and the persona you have elected to project for yourself in this forum is that of a highly unattractive and patronising narcissist. You may well know that your redeemer liveth but I know that your redemption is the gift of your fellow man which you have yet to earn.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Blah, blah, blah, Revelation 17:17, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Let's see, shall we ALL start quoting from our favorite books as if they are the undisputed authority for everyone to recognize? How ignorant. Really, Bob, why bombard people with bible scriptures when you KNOW that other people have their own beliefs? Is it that you can't speak for yourself, so you're trying to sound authoritative with your god's supposed book? It means nothing to non-theists. So what do you expect? Go to a Christian website if you want to rely on a book of stories from your belief system. Otherwise, it's really just spam here. Your beliefs are no more important than other beliefs.
Obvious Leo to Gustav wrote:Perhaps you should subject yourself to the same sort of rigorous self-examination which you so glibly accuse others of being incapable of....
Well said, Leo!
Gustav Bjornstrand

Funny Obvious Leo, I was just thinking about this. I understand now that you are in a protection mode and that my directness to AS (she took it better than you BTW) really got under your skin.

How can you be sure that I don't subject myself to harsh self analysis?

Can you be sure when you identify me as a 'narcissist', or as one using a narcissist's persona, that you are really seeing me? The term 'narcissist' is one that people use very carelessly, to identify a character trait that they don't like, or that offends them.

Can you be absolutely sure that you are capturing the message that I want to bring forward?

Is it possible that you have mis-interpreted?

I did not come into the space with the intention of preaching redemption, and the fact that you hear this indicates to me that you are hearing what you want to hear and what you project.

You surely must have noticed by now how easy it is to project one's own content outward on the Internet.

What has been happening over the last series of posts seems only to be a clarification of intention, with no discussion of the ideas.

I am writing on an iPad with no keyboard and it's a pain in the ass. Tomorrow, or Friday, I will be back at my desk and I hope to resume some of this conversation. I do it for my own sake and for my own purposes.

There's more:

My views are anti-democratic, anti-radical-liberal, anti-Marxist, pro-masculine (does not mean misogynist), traditionist, pro-religionist with certain qualifications, non-sentimentalist, all presented brusquely, directly and unapolagetically, and to that I add opposed to homosexualiity as if the previous were not enough. These are all positions that I have defined through hard work and a great deal of rigorous 'self analysis' and are reversals of previous positions.

You can imagine how out of step with the times I am. Since we know that we are going to dislike each other and to disagree, please give me some time to better present the full scope. ;-)
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Gustav Bjornstrand wrote: There's more:

My views are anti-democratic, anti-radical-liberal, anti-Marxist, pro-masculine (does not mean misogynist), traditionist, pro-religionist with certain qualifications, non-sentimentalist, all presented brusquely, directly and unapolagetically, and to that I add opposed to homosexualiity as if the previous were not enough. These are all positions that I have defined through hard work and a great deal of rigorous 'self analysis' and are reversals of previous positions.

You can imagine how out of step with the times I am. Since we know that we are going to dislike each other and to disagree, please give me some time to better present the full scope. ;-)
Well, from the above I would say you are Donald Trump! Am I right? :wink:

I think Leo and veg and the rest have you pegged! The problem is, with all of your strict 'rules' about life, you are unable to relax and enjoy. You are too busy thinking you have to think a certain way and act a certain way, and what generally comes with that is making sure you control others in order to keep them playing the parts you have decided are moral and just (in your mind). I shudder to think of what punishment you inflict when they disappoint you.

I take it, you are more likely to follow the old testament God rather than the new testament Jesus. You do realize you are but a mere human...right? lol

Here's the problem with your stanch conservationism...you are NOT going to be full of testosterone forever. Eventually, there will be a younger, stronger version to take over this "pro-Masculine" ideal that you think you have cornered the market on...and when he surpasses you in strength (mental and physical) you will have to like or lump whatever ideology this new patriarch doles out. So if he chooses to have you as his bitch, that is what you will be....by your own doing. Be careful what you set in place in your own house...you are going to soon reap what you sow.

Just like the republicans in my country. They are up in arms about Donald Trump leading in the polls. They all think he's nuts and are trying to distance themselves. The problem is, he just says in a crass way, what they have been saying all along! The very thing the republican party has been preaching since George W. Bush was in office, MADE Trump what he is today! And now, when he apes their ideology back at them, they can finally hear what we liberals have heard all along....and they don't like it...well duh! Silly conservative rebulicans!

Actually, I think it is quite funny. The circus you all create when you start the dialogue as you have in your above quote. How can you not see it is not in your best interest in the long run?! It never ceases to amaze me! LOL Oh dear!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gustav, your statements seem to indicate that you think you have figured things out, in general, to a more accurate degree than those who see differently than you do. Correct? That you think you are somehow able to assess other people better than they know themselves. Correct? That you perceive that other people are projecting and misinterpreting (rather than seeing reality), while you yourself are seeing reality. Correct?

And is it possible that you have piled so many absolutes into your "views", that your clarity is no more than a pool that reflects and reaffirms itself?