On the Sex of God..

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

humblesoul

On the Sex of God..

Post by humblesoul »

I think it rather obvious that if there were a God, it would not have a sex. I think it rather amusing that most everyone naturally assumes, accepts and refers to God as 'He'.

If the creator were to have a sex, if at all, it would be female; because females are the ones who give birth, naturally a female would have given 'birth' to the universe. When people speak of Mother Earth and Mother Nature, that's more like it. And I think that phrasing can be extended further to include 'Mother Universe'.

I think the reason why God is so often referred to as 'He' is a simple one. Granted there have been a couple female gods throughout ancient history, however Male gods have been by far the overwhelming majority. Men have had a long history of strict misogyny that still persists today especially in the Middle East and Asia. Women are to bear and raise the children and nothing more. They are frail, they cry, show emotion and to the common man this is weakness. The bible itself commands women to be quite while men are speaking. We have always looked at a Man as having the ultimate authority, the King. So naturally people assumed since God is almighty and all powerful; something to be feared and respected, it must be male- the King of Kings. Which is all very silly and just shows that most religions and religious text books were written by a bunch of men. Besides, men are the only people I know who get accused of having a 'God' complex :)
ReliStuPhD

Re: On the Sex of God..

Post by ReliStuPhD »

As far as I know, Christians (and Muslims) agree that God is sexless, and usually explain "He" as a reference to attributes (men are "strong," etc etc etc). So it's not a literal "he," but a matephorical one.

But yes, I agree that this is rooted in patriarchy rather than any good logical or metaphysical argument.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Most of the ancient religions though God to be androgynous. This link speaks to this as well as some of the older beliefs.
You will note that fairly close to the too long link that they show how some of the names of the Jewish God clearly show a male and female connection.

It is all myth of course but if you wish to understand religion then you have to start at their roots.

A misogynous Christianity and Islam tried to wipe the feminine right out of religion but the other religions did not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TndLzFZI9A

Regards
DL
Skip

Post by Skip »

Greatest I am wrote:Most of the ancient religions though God to be androgynous. ....
Which ones? All the ancient religions I ever heard of had multiple gods, each one clearly and distinctly (!!!) sexed.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

The Hindu god Indra was reputed to have 1000 vaginas, which was in fact 1000 surplus to requirements since Indra was a bloke.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

God made Adam, which means Man, in his/her/its own image and similarity. So I think God, the God of the Genesis, is a man. Afterwards He made the first woman by Adam.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

David Handeye wrote:God made Adam, which means Man, in his/her/its own image and similarity. So I think God, the God of the Genesis, is a man. Afterwards He made the first woman by Adam.
And you're happy with this story? You may be interested in an Eiffel tower I have for sale. It's hardly been used and I can offer it to you at a very reasonable price.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

I only tried to answer the op. I wrote I think, I didn't write to be happy or unhappy with any story. I gave my opinion.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

David Handeye wrote:I gave my opinion.
And a very thoughtful opinion it is too. I predict a very promising future for you.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Obvious Leo wrote:
David Handeye wrote:I gave my opinion.
And a very thoughtful opinion it is too. I predict a very promising future for you.
well, according to the Bible God is a man. For He made the first man in His own image and similarity. If you can deny this you're welcome. I like reading others' opinions, Leo, I never judge them thoughtful or thoughtless.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

David Handeye wrote:well, according to the Bible God is a man. For He made the first man in His own image and similarity. If you can deny this you're welcome.
How could I possibly deny it? This story is common knowledge to anybody who hasn't lived their entire lives down at the bottom of a mineshaft. Furthermore my entire education was at the hands of the sheilas in wimples and the men in frocks and they did not forget to remind of this story regularly, often reinforcing their reminders with such entertainments as leather straps and bamboo canes.
David Handeye wrote: I like reading others' opinions, Leo, I never judge them thoughtful or thoughtless.
I noticed.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Skip wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:Most of the ancient religions though God to be androgynous. ....
Which ones? All the ancient religions I ever heard of had multiple gods, each one clearly and distinctly (!!!) sexed.
Follow the link. It has many images and shows the male/female of the names of God.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

David Handeye wrote:God made Adam, which means Man, in his/her/its own image and similarity. So I think God, the God of the Genesis, is a man. Afterwards He made the first woman by Adam.
We created them male and female and called them adam.

adam, lower case represents society or tribe.

If you check you bible for that partial quote I gave you see clearly that Eve is called adam.

Only really foolish people think that a man can give birth to a woman.

In using the word foolish, I am being diplomatic.

You might wonder why a misogynous religion like Christianity tried to wipe women right out of their religion.

Regards
DL
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Greatest I am wrote:
We created them male and female and called them adam.

adam, lower case represents society or tribe.

If you check you bible for that partial quote I gave you see clearly that Eve is called adam.

Only really foolish people think that a man can give birth to a woman.

In using the word foolish, I am being diplomatic.

You might wonder why a misogynous religion like Christianity tried to wipe women right out of their religion.

Regards
DL
I'm out at work, back home I'll take a look
Skip

Post by Skip »

Greatest I am wrote: Follow the link. It has many images and shows the male/female of the names of God.

Regards
DL
No, I'm not interested in long, slow propaganda videos. If it opens with a heavy beat and approaching blocks of text, I'm gone.

When you referred to ancient religions, I thought you meant, like Hindu, Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Aztec.... even the gods in Gilgamesh (presumed antecedents of Abrahamic group) were male and female, separate entities. The odd androgyn or hermaphrodite is an exception, I think, rather than the rule. I guess because people have known about sex for a long time and couldn't imagine the gods going without.
Gen I
26 ¶And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Them. Male and female from the outset. It's not till Chapter II that he plants the garden and clones his single specimen. Clearly stories from two different traditions, inexpertly merged.

But then, why would we be more concerned with this god than any of the others? Because his followers affect our lives. Further on in the same book, he very early takes sides and expresses himself in a distinctly masculine way throughout. It hardly matters if he started out as a hermaphrodite: once the sex was chosen and hormone therapy begun, the behaviour was consistent - and remains so.