What should religion be based on?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:31 pm

mickthinks wrote:Hobby: Religions are evident, gods are not. So a promise made by a religion is not a promise made by god
That doesn't follow, unless by "not evident" you mean "non-existent". Do you claim that God is non-existent?


this is where you are going wrong. Please try again!
LOL NO U!

Religions are evident, gods are not. So a promise made by a religion is not a promise made by god

It follows perfectly.

You keep asking if I think god exists, but you don't have the balls to say what you mean by god.

mickthinks
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:10 am
Location: Augsburg

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by mickthinks » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Religions are evident, gods are not. So a promise made by a religion is not a promise made by god. It follows perfectly.

Not if "not evident" beings can communicate. But of course, if you deny the existence of "not evident" beings, then it will seem to you to follow perfectly.


You keep asking if I think god exists, but you don't have the balls to say what you mean by god.
I think everything you believe about religion is premised on the denial of God's existence, but for some reason (perhaps because you've heard someone somewhere suggest that it's a way for atheists to lose the argument) you don't want to admit it.

User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2106
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Greatest I am » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:21 am

When did God ever communicate with mankind?

Regards
DL

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4923
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:28 am

Greatest I am wrote:When did God ever communicate with mankind?

Regards
DL
You're the 'Gnostic'. Why don't you tell us? :roll:

User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2106
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Greatest I am » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:When did God ever communicate with mankind?

Regards
DL
You're the 'Gnostic'. Why don't you tell us? :roll:
I did not make the claim but thanks for putting the onus on me while you run from explaining yourself.

Shows a nice honest character. Not.

Regards
DL

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4923
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:When did God ever communicate with mankind?

Regards
DL
You're the 'Gnostic'. Why don't you tell us? :roll:
I did not make the claim but thanks for putting the onus on me while you run from explaining yourself.

Shows a nice honest character. Not.

Regards
DL
Is gnostic not about knowing?

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3386
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by attofishpi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Greatest I am wrote:When did God ever communicate with mankind?

Regards
DL
I am part of mankind thus today, yesterday and for the past 18 years.

User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2106
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Greatest I am » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:[
You're the 'Gnostic'. Why don't you tell us? :roll:
I did not make the claim but thanks for putting the onus on me while you run from explaining yourself.

Shows a nice honest character. Not.

Regards
DL[/quote]
Is gnostic not about knowing?[/quote]

Yes. But not the knowing you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

Note that it says nothing of God communicating with mankind.

Now will you answer the question you prompted or are you still putting the onus on me to flesh out what you said?

Regards
DL

User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2106
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Greatest I am » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:38 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:When did God ever communicate with mankind?

Regards
DL
I am part of mankind thus today, yesterday and for the past 18 years.
Ask him why he is bothering with you when there are starving children who he could better serve.

Let us know the answer.

Regards
DL

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4923
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:[
You're the 'Gnostic'. Why don't you tell us? :roll:
I did not make the claim but thanks for putting the onus on me while you run from explaining yourself.

Shows a nice honest character. Not.

Regards
DL
Is gnostic not about knowing?[/quote]

Yes. But not the knowing you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

Note that it says nothing of God communicating with mankind.

Now will you answer the question you prompted or are you still putting the onus on me to flesh out what you said?

Regards
DL[/quote]
What's the question? All I see are character aspersions. Ask again.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3386
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by attofishpi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:When did God ever communicate with mankind?

Regards
DL
I am part of mankind thus today, yesterday and for the past 18 years.
Ask him why he is bothering with you when there are starving children who he could better serve.

Let us know the answer.

Regards
DL
There is no Him or Hymn there is only the onset of entropy and its up to a brotherhood of man to bring about equality, not the backbone of a result of said entropy.

User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2106
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Greatest I am » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:49 pm

:roll:

Vor
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:25 am

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Vor » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Bill Maher sums up the atheistic movement to rid the world of any mention of God like this:

We are a nation that is unenlightened because of religion. I do believe that. I think religion stops people from thinking. I think it justified crazies.

Vor
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:25 am

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Vor » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:14 am

There is a problem when asking for a definition of the word religion.

The English word "religion" is derived from the Middle English "religioun" which came from the Old French "religion." It may have been originally derived from the Latin word "religo" which means "good faith," "ritual," and other similar meanings.

Defining the word "religion" is fraught with difficulty. Many people focus on a very narrow definition that matches the individual's own religion, but few others. A humorous case is in Henry Fielding's novel "Tom Jones", where one character says:

"By religion I mean Christianity, by Christianity I mean Protestantism, by Protestantism I mean the Church of England as established by law."

If one limits religion to one category, it will miss the multifaceted nature of the word 'religion'.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8363
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: What should religion be based on?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:11 am

mickthinks wrote:Religions are evident, gods are not. So a promise made by a religion is not a promise made by god. It follows perfectly.

Not if "not evident" beings can communicate. But of course, if you deny the existence of "not evident" beings, then it will seem to you to follow perfectly.


You keep asking if I think god exists, but you don't have the balls to say what you mean by god.
I think everything you believe about religion is premised on the denial of God's existence, but for some reason (perhaps because you've heard someone somewhere suggest that it's a way for atheists to lose the argument) you don't want to admit it.

Please refer to the answers I made above.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dontaskme, Veritas Aequitas and 2 guests