Is God in hiding?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is God in hiding?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Leaving aside the question of the multiverse (which for me would be the only way he could hide), my title question leads into a number of questions which should be interesting.

PhilX
jackles

Re: Is God in hiding?

Post by jackles »

God is love ya just got to see it in the event. Othewie as a singularity its no thing. But hiding no.
mesoraven

Post by mesoraven »

Depends which god you're talking about but in relation to Abraham's god. I read an interesting theory a while back. That god doesn't see days the way we do for an ageless immortal entity a day would be meaningless.

So god's days are 750 million years each. 6 x 750 million = 4.5 billion.

Day 1
So the sun formed about 4.5 billion years ago so if we take this as the start of the first day. (Remembering that Christianity and Catholicism is a sun cult.) Gods first day. "Let there be light!" As a new entity he takes the rest of the 750 million years to get used to his own existence.

Day 2
God created the firmament. Going on the 750 million years timeline that would be between 3.75 and 3 billion years ago.
About the time when all the planets including earth took their present forms.

Day 3
God created plant life. Around this time on our time scale you start to get this blue-green algae that eventually evolves into all the plants we know.

Day 4
God made lights in the sky. If we take this as the ability to see those lights rather than literally creating them it fits on the time line. (About 2 billion years ago) when eyes and nervous systems began to form.

Day 5
Animals appeared in the waters and in the sky. Pre Cambrian period. Oceanic fossils common in rocks dated to that time. And brine shrimp eggs can be blown about by the wind so what's to say other animals couldn't. And what's to say that doesn't count as appearing in the sky.

Day 6
God creates the beasts of the earth including man. On the our timeline that's 750 million years ago to now more or less. So thats all the dinosaurs all of the mammals an humanoids and everything to now.

Day 7
On the seventh day he rested. So now we're talking the present to the future. It would also explain the state of the world and gods apparent absence from it.

He isn't hiding. He's asleep.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

No
The Christian God is known analogically by his effects.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Question 2. Who's he got to hide from?
Question 3. Are fearing the wrong entity?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Skip wrote:Question 2. Who's he got to hide from?
Question 3. Are fearing the wrong entity?
2. God is hiding from himself, of course.
3. God fears himself, of course.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I meant - and I just noticed; too late to edit: Are God-fearing Christians wrong to fear God, when there is Somebody out there that even God fears?
(I always knew He was not quite right in the upper storey, but you make Him sound stark staring schizoid.)
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Skip wrote:I meant - and I just noticed; too late to edit: Are God-fearing Christians wrong to fear God, when there is Somebody out there that even God fears?
(I always knew He was not quite right in the upper storey, but you make Him sound stark staring schizoid.)
Schizoid is someone who loves animals. Clearly God could care less as He continues to let humans rape and murder the planet. Humans are also an animal, God could care less about them as well. It seems God does not want anyone to disturb His own peace and tranquility, certainly not His own offspring.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I wrote a novel one time. It wasn't very good. If I saw it in a bookstore window now, I'd cross the street to dissociate myself from it. Maybe god feels the same way: He was young, untrained in his craft; wishes the damn thing hadn't been published.