Belief in God is Properly Basic.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sappho de Miranda

Re: Belief in God is Properly Basic.

Post by Sappho de Miranda »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Silly circular logic.
Whilst this might be true, you are not saying how or why.
Equally... a circular argument does not necessarily make it invalid.

I think, therefore, I am.
I am, therefore, I think.

I'm more interested in this belief that you suggest and claim to be properly basic.

Are you suggesting that an infant is born, or even at the point of conception is imbued somehow with with this properly basic belief?

If not... from where does this properly basic belief come?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Sappho de Miranda wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
HexHammer wrote:Silly circular logic.
Whilst this might be true, you are not saying how or why.
I think, therefore, I am.
I am, therefore, I think.

I'm more interested in this belief that you suggest and claim to be properly basic.

Are you suggesting that an infant is born, or even at the point of conception is imbued somehow with with this properly basic belief?

If only people would think before they speak, the world would be such a nice place!

However, we get our beliefs from our surroundings, if we were born amongst the native americans, we most likely would believe in the great spirit, if in India we would believe in the Hindu Gods, in northern Europe then be protestant, in South Europe then be Catholic ..etc, etc.

Very simple logic..
Sappho de Miranda

If only people would think before they speak, the world would be such a nice place!

However, we get our beliefs from our surroundings, if we were born amongst the native americans, we most likely would believe in the great spirit, if in India we would believe in the Hindu Gods, in northern Europe then be protestant, in South Europe then be Catholic ..etc, etc.

Very simple logic..
Which only serves to explain why I am a materialistic consumer with a love of fashion, jewelry, science and logic.

I was not taught to believe in a god/s, nor was I taught to disbelieve in god/s either. I was taught to explore the concepts of god/s and chose as I will it. I was given a variety of texts in order that I could satisfy that quest.

How then does this fit into Lev Muishkin's concept of a properly basic belief in god?
Last edited by Sappho de Miranda on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Sappho de Miranda wrote:

Very simple logic..
Which only serves to explain why I am a materialistic consumer with a love of science and logic.

I was not taught to believe in a god/s, nor was I taught to disbelieve in god/s either. I was taught to explore the concepts of god/s and chose as I will it. I was given a variety of texts in order that I could satisfy that quest.

How then does this fit into your concept of a properly basic belief in god?
...............sigh!
Sappho de Miranda

I have slightly edited the response having realized that the question which was aimed at Lev Muishkin was answered by you Hex.

I was not taught religion Hex. I had no concept of it until I befriended a JW in my street when I was 8 years old. I'm from Australia. Religion wasn't compulsory at school. Christmas was about presents, decorating the tree, Santa and cartoon overload when I wasn't at the beach which was quite literally on my door step.

I don't understand the idea of God being properly basic.

Edit: I never went to church. Didn't even know what they were, in the same way that I didn't know what a bank was. They were just buildings to me. The first time I entered a church, I was 14. My parents didn't speak of religion or god. The external world was about toys, pretty things and make believe.
Sappho de Miranda

Sappho de Miranda wrote:I have slightly edited the response having realized that the question which was aimed at Lev Muishkin was answered by you Hex.

I was not taught religion Hex. I had no concept of it until I befriended a JW in my street when I was 8 years old. I'm from Australia. Religion wasn't compulsory at school. Christmas was about presents, decorating the tree, Santa and cartoon overload when I wasn't at the beach which was quite literally on my door step.

I don't understand the idea of God being properly basic.

Edit: I never went to church. Didn't even know what they were, in the same way that I didn't know what a bank was. They were just buildings to me. The first time I entered a church, I was 14. My parents didn't speak of religion or god. The external world was about toys, pretty things and make believe.
If there was Godly things going on, I was not privy to it or lacked an interest in it... such as flicking past the boring blah blah and mournful singing of what I subsequently understood to be a TV service, in preference for the Thunderbirds before heading out to play.

I was a child of the 70s/ 80s Hex... and In Australia, life was Secular and a lot of fun.

Religion just wasn't important. Still isn't for those who are without faith.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Sappho de Miranda

If you observe the kuku hatchling, it will preform a very elaborate thing in the nest, by pushing out other eggs and chicks, no one told it how to do that. It's all due to genetic memory, due to that many might be prone to spontaneously resort to religion, even if no one in their neighborhood are religious, because it's a long dormant thing in our prehistoric nature back when we were cavemen, but no all will go this route.

2nd route, many will observe things, maybe many subtle things that will float in our subconscious mind, over time they will add up and influence our conscious mind even if we don't feel it does. Many atheist have studied the bible, just out of curiosity not because of religious interests, but some will catch on and become religious.
Sappho de Miranda

Is this you way of referencing the so called 'God Gene'?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I'm fucking sick of this. Atheists don't believe in gods, or fairies, or leprechauns. They don't have to justify that to anyone. If you want to believe in that shit then go for it. Just spare us the pseudo 'debates' on the topic.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Sappho de Miranda wrote:Is this you way of referencing the so called 'God Gene'?
Either you are complete retard, or just trolling ..dunno which?
Sappho de Miranda

HexHammer wrote:
Sappho de Miranda wrote:Is this you way of referencing the so called 'God Gene'?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... 404-8087r/

Hex... your lack of debating skills are quite obvious. As is your lack of knowledge. But I am patient and tolerant. I am also more skilled at insults than you.

I have linked to the so called 'god gene'. If that is not what you were referring to, then clearly, you have not explained yourself concisely or precisely. That's not my fault. I'm merely trying to understand the connection between a specific example... that being the kuku bird after hatching... and the general principles of biology... as it applies to god being properly basic.
Sappho de Miranda

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I'm fucking sick of this. Atheists don't believe in gods, or fairies, or leprechauns. They don't have to justify that to anyone. If you want to believe in that shit then go for it. Just spare us the pseudo 'debates' on the topic.
Is there any reason why there is so often so much anger and venom in your posts Veg? Chronic pain perhaps? What ever the case, this is not the place to vent..l this is the place to debate, discuss and explore ideas. If you need a place to vent, I can link you to some rather moronic forums where you can let it rip to your heart's content.

Meanwhile... as an atheist... I identify merely as being without theism. If that is not an atheist, then I am not an atheist, but rather, a person without theism only.

And as a person who is without theism, it is only natural that I should be curious about those who are with theism. And so, I ask questions of those who are with theism... that they find my questions unsettling and difficult to answer is not my fault and will not stop me asking.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Sappho de Miranda wrote:
HexHammer wrote:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... 404-8087r/

Hex... your lack of debating skills are quite obvious. As is your lack of knowledge. But I am patient and tolerant. I am also more skilled at insults than you.

I have linked to the so called 'god gene'. If that is not what you were referring to, then clearly, you have not explained yourself concisely or precisely. That's not my fault. I'm merely trying to understand the connection between a specific example... that being the kuku bird after hatching... and the general principles of biology... as it applies to god being properly basic.
I beg for forgiveness and thank you for your patience with one such as me.

Yes it's probably this "god gene", but the finding hasn't been broadly known.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sappho de Miranda wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I'm fucking sick of this. Atheists don't believe in gods, or fairies, or leprechauns. They don't have to justify that to anyone. If you want to believe in that shit then go for it. Just spare us the pseudo 'debates' on the topic.
Is there any reason why there is so often so much anger and venom in your posts Veg? Chronic pain perhaps? What ever the case, this is not the place to vent..l this is the place to debate, discuss and explore ideas. If you need a place to vent, I can link you to some rather moronic forums where you can let it rip to your heart's content.

Meanwhile... as an atheist... I identify merely as being without theism. If that is not an atheist, then I am not an atheist, but rather, a person without theism only.

And as a person who is without theism, it is only natural that I should be curious about those who are with theism. And so, I ask questions of those who are with theism... that they find my questions unsettling and difficult to answer is not my fault and will not stop me asking.
LOL. I'm sooo sorry for not being politically correct enough Your Highness. I bow down to your clearly superior intellect. Let me repost:
I am so tired of this. Atheists don't believe in gods, or fairies, or leprechauns. They don't have to justify that to anyone. If you want to believe in those things, then feel free. Please stop the endless and pointless 'debates' on the topic.
Is that more to your liking Ms Sappho?
Sappho de Miranda

Can't post... Big Brother AU is on... and and one of the fav's is about to be evicted.

But I note your comments Veg and will post a special something just for you... because you've earned it.

And Hex... I'm two posts away from responding to your last response.