Is Jesus Christ a man or a god?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is Jesus Christ a man or a god?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Pardon me about using a lower case g in god as someone else has the position of God.

There's no disputing that Mary is his mother. And there's the possibility that God is his father; but even if that were so, does that make JC a god? How can we tell for sure?

PhilX
HexHammer

Re: Is Jesus Christ a man or a god?

Post by HexHammer »

WTF?! ..seems I gave an answer to a wrong post!
Last edited by HexHammer on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Everything you just said there had all ready been developed in other lands Hex and long before Jesus came a long I might add. You really are a very uneducated person in this matter, and no offense for saying that, but you just don't know enough to opine on religion.

Not that you can see what I just said hex, any chance you had of learning anything about anything went out of the window a long, long time ago. Even before I told you that, which brings us back to the start; a long long time ago people in other climes had already learned something, long before the West decided it was the largest authority on anything.

As to forming modern views on ethics that is such a bad argument that even Jesus wept. If Jesus was still in charge and assuming he was still banging on about old fashioned values to the point of being oblivious to social change, we would not have modern ethics.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

He was a man, son of god.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Is Jesus Christ a man or a god?"

Before tacking the above, deal with the below...

-Does a god exist?

-If so, is this god the Christian God?

No point in puttin' the cart before the horse.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Since this very idea schizmed the first church into Orthodox and Catholic over the nature of the divine Jesus amongst other political reasoning amongst the canonical this is no easy question to answer. Although both agreed he was divine they differed in many ways, one said the father son and spirit were one and the same, some said they were a mixture like wine with water, some parts human and some not. It's worth reading the history of the first schizm both between Catholic and Orthodox Christianity, and then moving on to protestant and Catholic schisms, because they are very revealing on the nature of Christ, his body and his divinity there in. Of course they pretty much dismissed the human Jesus after the Nicene council, and most Gnostics were persecuted into extinction both physically and in textual form, it is only thanks to places like the Nag Hamadai and others that any of their beliefs remained. Not because they were destroyed although I have no doubt some were, simply because they were not copied for the most part, and so disappeared from the historicity of Christianity. It's worthy of note though that John The Baptist who was pivotal in shaping Jesus' words was supposedly a gnostic, one who believed you could know Jesus through esoteric study, and by his humanity, rather than that he was of any divinity at all.

Suffice to say it's an interesting chapter in history and a fine question and shit. :D
BeyondTheAstral

Post by BeyondTheAstral »

I see some good input in this thread

Are there any historical documents to confirm a JC existed? (the bible is not a historical document)

The Dark Side of Christian History by Helen Ellerbe documents the origins of the bible in its current format
The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviors by Kersey Graves – great book showing JC was a myth.

Many of the religious myths have evolved from esoteric knowledge for example
“The Father the Son and The Holy Ghost” has come from God or more to the point the Absolute(Infinite state), the energy that bring creation into being (Holy Ghost) and the Son is the Savior or guru that gives the energy to individuals to enable them to attain vastly expanded states of consciousness.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:There's no disputing that Mary is his mother. And there's the possibility that God is his father; but even if that were so, does that make JC a god? How can we tell for sure?

PhilX
DNA testing. If it's Joseph's, man. If it's Jehovah's, god. If just Mary's, parthenogenetic transsexual. If you can't find enough tissue to do the test, myth or legend.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I am part man, part god, part ghost.

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Pardon me about using a lower case g in god as someone else has the position of God.
Does it really make a difference?

There's no disputing that Mary is his mother.
So you witnessed the birth, and followed him throughout life, and know that he is in fact the one that they were talking about?

And there's the possibility that God is his father;
It is indeed true that anything is possible, yes.

but even if that were so, does that make JC a god?
Since throughout history, man has conceived of many gods, it would seem that anyone/anything could be a god/God.

How can we tell for sure?
Anyone can 'tell,' for sure, while no one can 'know,' for sure!
PhilX
Or at least it surely seems so.
ReliStuPhD

Post by ReliStuPhD »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Is Jesus Christ a man or a god?
Insofar as you've titled this "Jesus Christ," you're asking a loaded question. "Christ" carries with it a whole host of theological arguments which lead to the conslusion that Jesus was, in fact, God. Perhaps a better question would simply be "Is Jesus a man or a god," since "Christ" is a theological concept, not part of his name.

Put differently, yes, "Jesus Christ" was God (not "a god," but God), otherwise you're not talking about Jesus Christ. Jesus? Well, that's a different question.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Are we talking about Jebus now, I am sure homer is interested.

Jesus has many flavours, zombie Jesus is coming back at the latter day and eating your brains.

Which sounds flippant but isn't.

Religion is like a cupcake if you eat it it's gone if you leave it it goes moldy.

Suffice to say you can't win whatever answer you have, it's all just a little bit of history repeating, and an apologist recompense, that shows again and again, ironically, the question is unanswerable.

The only historicity of Jesus is in Josephus, look it up, and that was written a long time after he was dead like the Gospel attributed to authors that never wrote it, presumably to lend credence to hear say.

Suffice to say if you build it it will come. The Jews in The Old Testament had built an anointed one when the Jews were in trouble. But then Zionism that created a modern Israel never had much use for orthodox Judaism. All of it is a mess, from Islam to Christianity to the holy trinity. Best off just saying God done it and muddle through with your mortal mind. ;)

I love all religions they're fantasy, and I am an atheist, and am still fascinated by mans attempt to explain the unexplainable: worth doing only if you have a dull Friggaday, Saturnday or Sunday off. The last being the most pertinent at least in terms of paganism, But kinda dull nonetheless. :)
ReliStuPhD

Post by ReliStuPhD »

Blaggard wrote:The only historicity of Jesus is in Josephus, look it up, and that was written a long time after he was dead like the Gospel attributed to authors that never wrote it, presumably to lend credence to hear say.
To be fair, the Gospels count towards historical proof for the existence of a man known as Jesus. We might debate whether they serve as historical proof for his divinity (I'd argue they don't), but as far as serving as evidence for his human existence, they're acceptable.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

ReliStuPhD wrote:
Blaggard wrote:The only historicity of Jesus is in Josephus, look it up, and that was written a long time after he was dead like the Gospel attributed to authors that never wrote it, presumably to lend credence to hear say.
To be fair, the Gospels count towards historical proof for the existence of a man known as Jesus. We might debate whether they serve as historical proof for his divinity (I'd argue they don't), but as far as serving as evidence for his human existence, they're acceptable.
Sorry but no man, especially any man of today, can 'know' what Jesus was or wasn't. I'll only go as far as: some man existed in his time that people called Jesus.

Would I like to travel back in time to shadow him day and night, in his last years, to see for myself what in fact the truth is? Of course, but since that's impossible, I'll not be trusting in any mans book, of the fantastic, written in a time of such scientific ignorance. No I'm not even going to start mentioning any particular 'version,' which can only speak of my case!
ReliStuPhD

Post by ReliStuPhD »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Sorry but no man, especially any man of today, can 'know' what Jesus was or wasn't. I'll only go as far as: some man existed in his time that people called Jesus.

Would I like to travel back in time to shadow him day and night, in his last years, to see for myself what in fact the truth is? Of course, but since that's impossible, I'll not be trusting in any mans book, of the fantastic, written in a time of such scientific ignorance. No I'm not even going to start mentioning any particular 'version,' which can only speak of my case!
But this isn't what I argued. I simply responded to "only Josephus" by pointing to the Gospels as additional historical proof for Jesus' existence.

As for the time machine idea, I'd love to do that too. Then again, I'm willing to admit that such a thing is possible because the historical record provides us with sufficient evidence to believe that a man named Jesus who was born in Nazareth, travelled around preaching, was crucified by the Romans, and had followers who at least believed he was raised from the dead. Don't be so dogmatic in your insistence he didn't exist. There's nothing that says you have to accept the whole kit and caboodle of Christianity just by acknowledging that the Gospels are historical proof for his existence. After all, we accept that other historical figures existed with far less proof.