questioning GOD's design decisions

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Kuznetzova

questioning GOD's design decisions

Post by Kuznetzova »

It is not the place for any mere mortal man to gaze upon GOD's designs and to question those creations. Far be it from me , after having measured HIS designs, to turn around and disagree with them. Worse, or me to go to the public and lie about what I actually found -- that would truly be HERESY What position do I hold in the cosmos, to question or criticize what GOD actually created? I'm not a god myself.
  • GOD placed the sun in the center of the solar system, and has the planets revolving around it. I'm not going to question this state of affairs. It would truly disingenuous for me to pretend like this is not what GOD actually designed for us. Further, the true HERESY would be to go to the public and lie about this fact to them. I'm certain Galileo, in his prison cell, would have agreed with me on this.
  • GOD placed 99.9% of the mass of the solar system all within the sun, leaving only 0.01% to the planets. This might seem at first that we were short-changed, but I'm sure GOD had a very good reason for doing so.
  • When God designed Antarctica, he placed 800,000 layers of ice on it. Many people suggest each layer corresponds to an annual snowing and thawing cycle. In any case, GOD put over several hundred thousand of these ice layers on Antarctica. And I'm not going to question HIS decision in this regard. I'm sure there is a very good reason for all these ice layers; a reason which I cannot understand, being a mere mortal and all. For me to go to the public and lie about this fact -- that would be genuinely HERETICAL.
  • We know today that GOD plays fast-and-loose with species boundaries. Nay, HE doesn't even seem to care about the boundaries between species at all. The data collected from nature shows that species boundaries don't even really exist in nature. This is what GOD did, and I'm not going to question it. To lie to the public about what GOD actually created would be an insult to GOD's design. That would be questioning and criticizing HIS plan. I'm not going to second-guess the ALMIGHTY. No, not today.
  • When GOD was busy designing all the various species of life forms on earth, HE didn't spend much time or energy on human beings. Human beings are nearly identical in many ways to various great apes, and differ only slightly from other land mammals. The place where GOD's true creativity flourished was in strange forms of single-celled organisms. GOD the designer, was obsessed with a form of life now called "Archaea". Archaea's metabolic and genetic pathways are so alien to trees and animals, that scientists were forced to classify them as a different domain of life entirely. They are so strange, that they are not even bacteria per se. Whatever GOD had in mind for earth, we can see that HE had an unusual interest in single-celled life.
  • After God designed DNA, HE placed most of it in simple forms of viruses that slosh around in the oceans. Little viruses that invade and multiply themselves inside of the bacteria that they sometimes accidentally collide with. They are called marine bacteriophages. If someone were to ask me where most of the DNA on earth is located, I would tell them its in the oceans in simple viruses that look like bags with needles attached them. I don't mind this. GOD knows what is right. I'm not going to question HIS decision in this regard.
  • When GOD designed humans, he could have stored our genetic material in PNA, which is peptide nucleic acid, instead of the regular ol' DNA molecule. If GOD had done this, scientists today would have not a clue about the origins of homo sapiens. Biologists would be baffled beyond hope. Instead GOD decided to design humans so that they have the same old DNA seen in everything from horses to bread mold. Worse, the human genotype is 99% identical to chimpanzees, with some slight differences called HAR1 and HAR2 regions thrown in. ("H.uman A.ccelarated R.egions 1 and 2") I'm not sure what GOD is trying to tell us with this one, but I'll be damned if I'm going to question HIS design decisions. Far be it from me to question GOD!
  • When GOD designed the human eye, he placed the optic nerve on the back side, leading to a blind spot. And just for fun (?) HE then added additional machinery into the visual cortex of humans so that the blind spot in our visual field would be cleverly filled in with adjacent colors and patterns. I'm okay with this, because I don't question GOD's designs. However, GOD took a different design approach with rabbits and ocean squid. Their optic nerves attach to the sides of their eyeballs, and so they have no blind spot in their visual field. GOD works in mysterious ways.
  • When GOD was in the midst of designing the human backbone, he must have been busy or distracted by something. The lower portions of the spine in human beings is better fit to an animal that should be walking on all fours, rather than an upright bipedal animal. For this reason, people over the age of 50 are prone to various back problems, and an entire industry (chiropractics) has formed around them. I may be overly critical here, and I should be more careful when scrutinizing GOD's designs. GOD knows what is best. And I would never lie to the public about these facts, because that would be HERESY.
thedoc

Re: questioning GOD's design decisions

Post by thedoc »

Did you have a point to this rambling?
uwot

Post by uwot »

thedoc wrote:Did you have a point to this rambling?
Indeed. Same question: who are you arguing with? Tell you what, have a pop at Blaggard, I reckon you two are made for each other.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

uwot wrote:
Indeed. Same question: who are you arguing with? Tell you what, have a pop at Blaggard, I reckon you two are made for each other.
Ok. You get the deckchairs and I'll get the beer and chips.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Ginkgo wrote:
uwot wrote:
Ok. You get the deckchairs and I'll get the beer and chips.

Could I have wine instead, beer aggravates my arthritis.
Kuznetzova

Post by Kuznetzova »

800,000+ ice layers on Antarctica, for all normal purposes appearing to be the result of annual snow fall.

But it's only planted evidence to confuse the apostate. That's how The LORD tests our faith.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Kuznetzova wrote:800,000+ ice layers on Antarctica, for all normal purposes appearing to be the result of annual snow fall.

But it's only planted evidence to confuse the apostate. That's how The LORD tests our faith.
Kuz, one of the examples you gave was in relation to the human backbone. It seems as though this structure has been modified somewhat to suit an upright creatures, while still retaining some of the features necessary for a quadruped.

God seems to be somewhat of a tinker in matters of design.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Kuznetzova wrote: 800,000+ ice layers on Antarctica, for all normal purposes appearing to be the result of annual snow fall.
No, It's because the ice layers have been accumulating for over 800,000 years. Any other explanation is fundamentalist nonsense. FYI, the earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old, anything else is gibberish.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Ginkgo wrote:
Kuznetzova wrote:800,000+ ice layers on Antarctica, for all normal purposes appearing to be the result of annual snow fall.

Kuz, one of the examples you gave was in relation to the human backbone. It seems as though this structure has been modified somewhat to suit an upright creatures, while still retaining some of the features necessary for a quadruped.

God seems to be somewhat of a tinker in matters of design.

It's because humans evolved from an ape predecessor that walked on all 4's like present day great apes. Only idiots believe that God is a liar, God doesn't "Plant Evidence", scientists only discover the world as God allowed it to evolve.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Clearly attacks by creationists AKA IDiots have come on a long way we're now only in the Middle ages as far as their comfortable nonsense goes.

I might be wrong, but wasn't Galileo only held under house arrest or somit, rather until he recanted his heresy and admitted before the Chatholic church that his patently correct theory may not stand up to such scrutiny as blind faith and a lack of reason. After all, at the end of the day force of will, and blind faith always carries greater weight than being right with the backing of unassailable logic and reality. ;)

Think on. ;)
When GOD was busy designing all the various species of life forms on earth, HE didn't spend much time or energy on human beings. Human beings are nearly identical in many ways to various great apes, and differ only slightly from other land mammals. The place where GOD's true creativity flourished was in strange forms of single-celled organisms. GOD the designer, was obsessed with a form of life now called "Archaea". Archaea's metabolic and genetic pathways are so alien to trees and animals, that scientists were forced to classify them as a different domain of life entirely. They are so strange, that they are not even bacteria per se. Whatever GOD had in mind for earth, we can see that HE had an unusual interest in single-celled life.
By the way this is not true that we are nearly identical with some great apes, 4%, yeah they say 99. whatever these days but they kinda revised that down recently so it might be as much as 98% and as little as 96% and that genetic difference is ferking huge, one must remember we share 50% of our genetic code with tomatoes, not one no matter how stupid would claim we were half tomato. The Devil is in the details. :)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:It's because humans evolved from an ape predecessor that walked on all 4's like present day great apes. Only idiots believe that God is a liar, God doesn't "Plant Evidence", scientists only discover the world as God allowed it to evolve.
Not sure you can have 'allowed' here, more instigated. If you are going for a solution between the fundamentalists and the biologists, as this is always an out for the religious mind, i.e. 'God' started it.

It seems to me that the issues between science and certain parts of the Christian religion(not all as many of the faiths have no issues with science) is a problem that arose when science started exploring the heavens and caused the the 'reasons' the Church gave for morality to be questioned, i.e. the Earth and its denizens were not the center of the universe and so 'God's' eye may not be upon us. They solved it by repression until they came up with Man as the apple of 'it's' eye, then Darwin came along and Nietzsche publicly vocalised the problem. At present the 'Church' is still working upon a solution but like I said, the best one appears to be that 'God' started it all and then leaves it to run, judgement will come at the end of the program. :) Slightly fits with the Jehovahs Witnesses as they have us dead as dust and us all being re-created to be judged at some future end-of-times.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote: By the way this is not true that we are nearly identical with some great apes, 4%, yeah they say 99. whatever these days but they kinda revised that down recently so it might be as much as 98% and as little as 96% and that genetic difference is ferking huge, one must remember we share 50% of our genetic code with tomatoes, not one no matter how stupid would claim we were half tomato. The Devil is in the details. :)

It should be noted that the 98% or whatever we share with other creatures is because there are a lot of structures and functions that we share, and that small percentage accounts for all the differences between us and everything else. All mammals breath, have hair, and a lot of other common features, why shouldn't the DNA for those attributes and functions be the same?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote:
thedoc wrote:It's because humans evolved from an ape predecessor that walked on all 4's like present day great apes. Only idiots believe that God is a liar, God doesn't "Plant Evidence", scientists only discover the world as God allowed it to evolve.
Not sure you can have 'allowed' here, more instigated. If you are going for a solution between the fundamentalists and the biologists, as this is always an out for the religious mind, i.e. 'God' started it.

I'm not trying to appease the fundamentalists, I have little respect for their rantings. I also don't really care how God started everything, It may have been by pissing on a flat rock? and we are one of the droplets? A lot of people spend a lot of time making shit up, and making a lot of money from people who have nothing better to believe, but I'm not one of them.

FYI, 'K' is one of those desperately trying to get someone to believe that he knows what he is talking about, probably to get something out of it. Don't send him any money, send it to me.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Didn't think you were.

Just popping my two pence on the idea that religion could live with science if it just kept popping back the cause. The real issue is what to replace the ethical component of Religion with?

K is just writing a fairly funny critique upon the IDiots(as Blaggard calls them) ideas.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote:Didn't think you were.

Just popping my two pence on the idea that religion could live with science if it just kept popping back the cause. The real issue is what to replace the ethical component of Religion with?

K is just writing a fairly funny critique upon the IDiots(as Blaggard calls them) ideas.

Alright, I'm reading this but I believe I'm just too tired to think, so are you saying there are no ethics without religion, or something else? I'll try again tomorrow morning. G-Nite.