Is any purported work of sacred scripture the word of God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greylorn Ell

Re: Is any purported work of sacred scripture the word of Go

Post by Greylorn Ell »

attofishpi wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote:No thoroughbred at all, I am a mutt. I am neither atheist nor agnostic, and subscribe to no religious opinions other than my own, which are derived from the only valid source of thoughts about the Creator or Creators-- the physical universe itself.
So you accept that there are Creator or Creators to our reality...yet you consider a man that stated that he was the embodiment of a creator or the progeny of such a being to be unlikely to be able to turn water to wine?
Except for the word "unlikely" you are absolutely correct. If a man or God could indeed change a barrel of water into a barrel of wine, the thermonuclear energy released would ruin the wine.

Perhaps you believe that the word Creator implies your version of Creator? If so, therein lies your confusion.

My version of Creator is more flexible, and avoids attributes such as omniscient and omnipotent. My Creators are limited by logic as well as by a very few fundamental properties of energy such as the laws of thermodynamics, (and I'm using "energy" in the strict physics sense of it).
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greylorn Ell wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote:No thoroughbred at all, I am a mutt. I am neither atheist nor agnostic, and subscribe to no religious opinions other than my own, which are derived from the only valid source of thoughts about the Creator or Creators-- the physical universe itself.
So you accept that there are Creator or Creators to our reality...yet you consider a man that stated that he was the embodiment of a creator or the progeny of such a being to be unlikely to be able to turn water to wine?
Except for the word "unlikely" you are absolutely correct. If a man or God could indeed change a barrel of water into a barrel of wine, the thermonuclear energy released would ruin the wine.

Perhaps you believe that the word Creator implies your version of Creator? If so, therein lies your confusion.

My version of Creator is more flexible, and avoids attributes such as omniscient and omnipotent. My Creators are limited by logic as well as by a very few fundamental properties of energy such as the laws of thermodynamics, (and I'm using "energy" in the strict physics sense of it).
I know God is omnipotent.
I believe God is omniscient, however i don't believe it knows the distant future.
I know that God turning a glass of water to wine would not result in a thermonuclear energy release. God is ALL dimensions ALL existence...and i have witnessed more.

So why dont you tell me about these creators then perhaps i can at least get a handle on why you would dismiss aeons of mans interpretation of the omnipotent creator written into scripture.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

attofishpi wrote:
Greylorn wrote: Perhaps you believe that the word Creator implies your version of Creator? If so, therein lies your confusion.

I believe God is omniscient, however i don't believe it knows the distant future.
I know that God turning a glass of water to wine would not result in a thermonuclear energy release. God is ALL dimensions ALL existence...and i have witnessed more.

So why dont you tell me about these creators then perhaps i can at least get a handle on why you would dismiss aeons of mans interpretation of the omnipotent creator written into scripture.
"Telling" anyone anything on a forum is only possible if they are genuinely curious about one's perspective, open to it, and have obtained the requisite background understandings to make sense of a relatively succinct explanation.

In our case these circumstances do not exist. Given your beliefs, you could not understand brief explanations of conflicting ideas. The beliefs within your brain would screen them. You probably do not know enough physics to make sense of some important concepts. That is the way the brain works, so don't take my comments personally. Like most religious people (I was once one of them) your "knowing," which you assert because as a child you were programmed to believe the truth of doctrines, just like young Muslims, Mormons, Nazis, and communists, is just a program that your brain runs because it is the only thing your brain knows. It is a tight loop and a superb filter that will not easily allow the entry of conflicting ideas.

My brain was like that. The transformation from a closed brain to an open mind was a bitch.

The only way that you could come to an understanding of my ideas (which is a long way from accepting them) would be for you to peruse my book, "Digital Universe -- Analog Soul." I wrote it for believers-- both of the conventionally religious type, and especially for atheists.

The conflict between Judeo-Christians and atheists comes about because they both believe or disbelieve in the same God. The existence of that God is not possible, so the conflict is inevitable. My book is designed to annoy both varieties of pre-programmed but ignorant individuals enough to open their closed minds to an alternative God-concept, but my design is not particularly effective.

Were you to peruse my book, which you won't, you'd first have to look up "peruse," and read accordingly. Expect to read it like a textbook, no faster than a chapter per week, with each chapter re-read and the content fully understood (no matter how disagreeable it might be) before proceeding. It will be the most difficult book you will ever read in this lifetime.

I do not recommend it, because your religious bias will interfere with your understanding. Your brain will be frustrated, and therefore angry, and it will transfer that anger to me. I have enough of that already. If you do choose to read it, let me know. I'm preparing a course format for readers that includes post-chapter questions that must be answered correctly before moving on.

Further attempts to induce me to explain complex ideas to unprepared individuals who are simply looking for a place to assert their conventional beliefs will be ignored.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
Mr. Wiltrack.
It is one thing to disagree with religious beliefs, another to deride them.

Sometimes derision can be useful, for example, if it is used to introduce a deeper perspective.

Derision without a point is, IMO, tacky and small minded. Yes, even when I do it.
G
uwot

Post by uwot »

Soren wrote:
Soren, I think you are confusing:
There is no evidence of god.
And:
There is evidence of no god.
It is nonsense to demand evidence of no evidence, and I don't think anyone is claiming the latter.
Nope. Not even remotely confused.

Anyone who makes an affirmative statement of some kind needs to explain what evidence he/she has to back it. R2 has made an affirmative claim. She owes us evidence.
She owes us nothing. I had the same pointless argument with another clown who couldn't understand the difference between asserting that you do not believe something to be true, and asserting that you believe the antithesis to be true. His name was Immanuel Can, another(?) dreary theist that insisted on proof that god doesn't exist, with a philosopher referencing name. Where do you creatures breed?
Soren wrote:As for the statement "there is no evidence of God," that is an affirmative claim. It says that no person, in any place, has ever had evidence for God, and no one alive and currently has evidence for God.

How could R2 know that? Surely it is not too much to ask that she back her claim with proof. Anyone who does not understand that does not grasp even the most basic logic.
You can cite any personal sensation, feeling, hallucination or delusion as evidence for your belief in absolutely anything you choose, but nobody else is compelled to accept it as evidence if you cannot demonstrate it to them.
Soren wrote:So quit running a filibuster, and pony up the evidence or admit you've bluffed; because those are the only two alternatives there are.
If you are talking to R2D2, she has already stated that she is bored; who can blame her. It's not my business to speak on her behalf, but no there are not two alternatives, there are at least three:
I believe there is evidence for god.
I do not believe there is evidence for god.
I believe there is evidence that there is no god.
If anyone has any evidence that there is no god, I would like to see it as much as you, but frankly, nobody can prove that whatever version of god you insist is true, is not true. That fact does nothing to enhance the truth of whatever you happen to believe. If you have some evidence that you think might be of interest to humanity, let's hear it and discuss it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greylorn Ell wrote:"Telling" anyone anything on a forum is only possible if they are genuinely curious about one's perspective, open to it, and have obtained the requisite background understandings to make sense of a relatively succinct explanation.

In our case these circumstances do not exist. Given your beliefs, you could not understand brief explanations of conflicting ideas. The beliefs within your brain would screen them. You probably do not know enough physics to make sense of some important concepts. That is the way the brain works, so don't take my comments personally.
Your arrogance presumes so much and gives so little.

You think hiding behind a mass of numbers pertaining to 'physics' allows you freedom from scrutiny.
Greylorn Ell wrote: Like most religious people (I was once one of them) your "knowing," which you assert because as a child you were programmed to believe the truth of doctrines, just like young Muslims, Mormons, Nazis, and communists, is just a program that your brain runs because it is the only thing your brain knows. It is a tight loop and a superb filter that will not easily allow the entry of conflicting ideas.
My brain was like that. The transformation from a closed brain to an open mind was a bitch.
Dont fucking tell me that i believe...and compare me to any religious child...i know from experience of years of interaction with your 'creator.'...you are fathoms beneath me in any comprehension of a 'creator'...So keep plugging away with your numbers and figures and perhaps then you might fool enough saps into believing you have something worthwhile to say about such an entity.
Greylorn Ell wrote:The only way that you could come to an understanding of my ideas (which is a long way from accepting them) would be for you to peruse my book, "Digital Universe -- Analog Soul." I wrote it for believers-- both of the conventionally religious type, and especially for atheists.

The conflict between Judeo-Christians and atheists comes about because they both believe or disbelieve in the same God. The existence of that God is not possible, so the conflict is inevitable.

I see no conflict in the history of Christian beliefs with Judaism. Christianity is a splinter of Judeo beliefs. The Jews were the first to be affected by the Almighty's presence...and as such their Torah should be held in high esteem.
Greylorn Ell wrote:My book is designed to annoy both varieties of pre-programmed but ignorant individuals enough to open their closed minds to an alternative God-concept, but my design is not particularly effective.

Were you to peruse my book, which you won't, you'd first have to look up "peruse," and read accordingly. Expect to read it like a textbook, no faster than a chapter per week, with each chapter re-read and the content fully understood (no matter how disagreeable it might be) before proceeding. It will be the most difficult book you will ever read in this lifetime.
If only you were as INTELLIGENT as you are ARROGANT...to suggest i would even need to look up the word 'peruse'...you piece of crap
Greylorn Ell wrote:I do not recommend it, because your religious bias will interfere with your understanding. Your brain will be frustrated, and therefore angry, and it will transfer that anger to me. I have enough of that already. If you do choose to read it, let me know. I'm preparing a course format for readers that includes post-chapter questions that must be answered correctly before moving on.

Further attempts to induce me to explain complex ideas to unprepared individuals who are simply looking for a place to assert their conventional beliefs will be ignored.
I read enough of your website to see what a twat of quack you are so no, i shant waste my time on such boring drivel.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

That always seems to happen when you challenge cherished beliefs, angry rants and ad hominems that is. It's a good job I don't believe in anything- I feel, that way the sheer absurdity that is life never really surprises me. On the other hand there's something very visceral about arguments about God, the passion denial evokes is interesting, if a little over zealous.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Greylorn Ell wrote:
Blaggard wrote: As I said it would be nice if all forums had LaTeX, but the sheer expense of obtaining a business license means they are usually only found on science or maths forums, and only those who are large.
Is this true? I thought that TeX and LaTeX operated under some kind of open license. I paid for the LaTeX packages that I used in business and to produce copyrighted material, but saw no mention of a license requirement that restricted my use of it.

If there is a problem, perhaps we could appeal to Leslie Lamport's philosophical side to give PNow free usage in exchange for a permanent subscription, and then convince Rick to kill the time necessary on his end. Gentle clamoring might do the job. :?:
That's the point isn't it you paid to use it in business, most forums simply do not have the resources to shell out on something that few people are going to need anyway. It is after all a philosophy forum, the only really useful "maths" symbols are probably are the ones used in symbolic logic and many of them are already on your keyboard anyway ~>< or can be easily assembled ---> etc ¬.
3Sum

Post by 3Sum »

To compare thousands of years of man's interpretation and interaction with the divine written into various scripture a fairy tale is to render yourself a sap.
ROFL so you actually are taking the bible for serious. There is no more evidence for what is in the bible than there is evidence for Harry Potter, your claims of it being man's interactions with the divine are nothing but empty words until you show us some evidence. But then again, backing up extraordinary claims is where ultimately all religions fail, don't they?

There is absolutely no reason to take the bible and not Harry Potter for serious. In fact, it's more rational to believe in Harry Potter since wizards in his world try to HIDE themselves from humans. While the god of the bible seemingly WANTS to interact with humans and is omniscient and omnipotent, so he has no excuse NOT to interact. It's all just one big pile of bullshit, the sooner you realize it the sooner you'll be happy and able to laugh at it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

3Sum wrote:
To compare thousands of years of man's interpretation and interaction with the divine written into various scripture a fairy tale is to render yourself a sap.
ROFL so you actually are taking the bible for serious. There is no more evidence for what is in the bible than there is evidence for Harry Potter, your claims of it being man's interactions with the divine are nothing but empty words until you show us some evidence. But then again, backing up extraordinary claims is where ultimately all religions fail, don't they?

There is absolutely no reason to take the bible and not Harry Potter for serious. In fact, it's more rational to believe in Harry Potter since wizards in his world try to HIDE themselves from humans. While the god of the bible seemingly WANTS to interact with humans and is omniscient and omnipotent, so he has no excuse NOT to interact. It's all just one big pile of bullshit, the sooner you realize it the sooner you'll be happy and able to laugh at it.
You're obviously very keen on Harry Potter becoming the next Messiah.

I dont buy bull (bible)
I dont just accept that which is drilled down our throats.

Christ's suffering has a reason...and i prey you never discover why.
http://www.androcies.com
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

attofishpi wrote:
3Sum wrote:

You're obviously very keen on Harry Potter becoming the next Messiah.

I dont buy bull (bible)

If you proved God exists without any doubt what would be the point of faith?

I think The Silmarillion is a better example it has some allegories to the garden of eden shiz and the Devil Morgoth aka Melkor and his arch general Sauron and everything, plus Morgoth gets tossed into the void at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXlVtk92HPo

"There is no life... in the void... only... death."
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Blaggard wrote:
attofishpi wrote:You're obviously very keen on Harry Potter becoming the next Messiah.

I dont buy bull (bible)

I didn't and i can't...there is a reason for doubt and its reason is perhaps beyond me..
Perhaps its entropy.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

attofishpi wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
attofishpi wrote:You're obviously very keen on Harry Potter becoming the next Messiah.

I dont buy bull (bible)

I didn't and i can't...there is a reason for doubt and its reason is perhaps beyond me..
Perhaps its entropy.
Well the entire Catholic church was founded on faith so you are hardly alone. It stresses the importance of it dozens of times, as does Paul in his Letters, practically the whole new testament is one long sermon about faith.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."

Saint Augustine

There were sects opposed to faith or should I say that had the idea God could be found through spiritual knowledge and the study of the esoteric scriptures and ideas, and Jesus was merely the first man to do so and was hence only human. The Gnostics most of whom were executed for their heresy. The Esenes are actually a sect of gnostics who interestingly John the Baptist was said to be part, before he went on his famous pilgrimage to the river Jordan and all that baptism stuff.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

uwot wrote:Sir, whoever you are, I like you far better than that truculent Greylorn Ell. Still, I shall read his book anyway.
So, uwot - have your read it yet ?
uwot

Post by uwot »

marjoramblues wrote:
uwot wrote:Sir, whoever you are, I like you far better than that truculent Greylorn Ell. Still, I shall read his book anyway.
So, uwot - have your read it yet ?
Er, no. As it happens, I'm working on a book about the history of cosmology, working title Portraits of Reality, and there are an awful lot of stories about life, the universe and everything. Any one of them could, if hit hard enough, be hammered into some shape that is consistent with all the empirical data that comes to attention. Basically, there's the evidence, the stuff which is either true or not, 'apples fall to the ground' for instance. There's the hypothesis, 'there is a force that acts between massive objects'; which there clearly is. Then there's the mathematical description, which is more or less accurate, rather than being true. It might well be, and in some instances, as Blaggard has pointed out, is so accurate as to be indistinguishable from truth. Finally, there's the out and out metaphysics, 'it's all the fault of some invisible agent that we can never see and wants us to behave in such and such a way'. From his description, I suspect that Greylorn Ell's thesis is of the latter sort, with some maths thrown in, that I doubt I am equipped to understand and probably wouldn't persuade me anyway, given that Greylorn Ell hasn't, to my knowledge, convinced anyone handy with an equation that there is anything in it.
As I said to Greylorn Ell, some of the tales he tells are amusing, although the mouthpiece, even by it's creators admission is deeply unpleasant. So I might get round to it, but it's not top of my priorities right now. Why do you ask? Have you read it?