beond belief

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jackles

beond belief

Post by jackles »

Critisism within belief is acceptable and even to be welcomed.but how ever critisism from beond belief is the enemy of belief in any terms.who is not for belief is automaticaly against it.its a question of good will.good will without god is conditional good will.what do you think.
Last edited by jackles on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: beond belief

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

jackles wrote:Critisism within beilief is acceptable and even to be welcomed.but how ever critisism from beond belief is the enemy of belief in any terms.who is not for belief is automaticaly against it.its a question of good will.good will without god is conditional good will.what do you think.
I really think you need to attend to the issues of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Ok hobbs i know its not the best.but at least it gets beond the bollocks as is put it.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

jackles wrote:Ok hobbs i know its not the best.but at least it gets beond the bollocks as is put it.
Please refrain from using vulgar British terms:
Word Origin & History
bollocks
"testicles," 1744, see bollix. In British slang, as an ejaculation meaning "nonsense," recorded from 1919.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote:
jackles wrote:Ok hobbs i know its not the best.but at least it gets beond the bollocks as is put it.
Word Origin & History
bollocks
"testicles," 1744, see bollix. In British slang, as an ejaculation meaning "nonsense," recorded from 1919.
How about vulgar American terms, as in "Go Fuck yourself."

So far all anyone has done is criticize Spelling, punctuation and vocabulary. Are you too dim to address the OP.

Jackies, If I understand you correctly you are just saying that someone who is in a particular belief system is in a better position to criticize it. They would have a better understanding of it. Someone outside of that particular belief system would know less about it and not have the understanding of it. simply put a Christian is in a better position to criticize Christianity than an Athest.

Good will, or ethics, outside the dictates of God, are conditional or situational, only God can hand down absolute statements.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

thedoc wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Word Origin & History
bollocks
How about vulgar American terms, as in "Go Fuck yourself."

So far all anyone has done is criticize Spelling, punctuation and vocabulary. Are you too dim to address the OP.

Jackies, If I understand you correctly you are just saying that someone who is in a particular belief system is in a better position to criticize it. They would have a better understanding of it. Someone outside of that particular belief system would know less about it and not have the understanding of it. simply put a Christian is in a better position to criticize Christianity than an Athest.

Good will, or ethics, outside the dictates of God, are conditional or situational, only God can hand down absolute statements.
No, "Go fuck yourself" is obscene, while "bollocks" is merely vulgar, and British at that. Also, I might add to please refrain from using acronyms like OP unless everybody knows what you mean.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

jackles wrote:Critisism within belief is acceptable and even to be welcomed.but how ever critisism from beond belief is the enemy of belief in any terms.who is not for belief is automaticaly against it.its a question of good will.good will without god is conditional good will.what do you think.
I really think it's lazy not to use a spell-checker in this day and age and if you have it a grammar checker.

I think you mean faith not belief.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote:
thedoc wrote: How about vulgar American terms, as in "Go Fuck yourself."

Jackies, If I understand you correctly you are just saying that someone who is in a particular belief system is in a better position to criticize it. They would have a better understanding of it. Someone outside of that particular belief system would know less about it and not have the understanding of it. simply put a Christian is in a better position to criticize Christianity than an Atheist.

No, "Go fuck yourself" is obscene, while "bollocks" is merely vulgar, and British at that. Also, I might add to please refrain from using acronyms like OP unless everybody knows what you mean.
You still didn't address the question posed in the OP. Are you incapable, or are you simply outside of any belief system?

Also I would think that if something is obscene it might also be vulgar.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

thedoc wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
thedoc wrote: How about vulgar American terms, as in "Go Fuck yourself."

Jackies, If I understand you correctly you are just saying that someone who is in a particular belief system is in a better position to criticize it. They would have a better understanding of it. Someone outside of that particular belief system would know less about it and not have the understanding of it. simply put a Christian is in a better position to criticize Christianity than an Atheist.

You still didn't address the question posed in the OP. Are you incapable, or are you simply outside of any belief system?

Also I would think that if something is obscene it might also be vulgar.
What the hell is an OP?
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

thedoc wrote:

Kant would disagree with that.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

OP, - duh, - 'Original Post'.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

thedoc wrote:OP, - duh, - 'Original Post'.
I'm not exactly sure what Jackles is saying. You interpretation might be correct.

P.S.

I think I get the bit whereby jackles is saying there is nothing wholly good within and of itself except without a reference to God.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Did you mean "Okay Hobbes I know it's not the best, but at least it gets beyond the bollocks as... (What?)..

Even though you edited the top of the thread is still does not make sense!

Sentence one is okay. "Critisism within belief is acceptable and even to be welcomed."

But what does the following mean?

but how ever critisism from beond belief is the enemy of belief in any terms.who is not for belief is automaticaly against it.its a question of good will.good will without god is conditional good will.what do you think.

Let's see if I can unpack it.

But however criticism, from beyond belief is the enemy of belief, in any terms; who is not for belief is automatically against it.
This is just a tautology.

It's a question of good will.
There is no question stated. What is a question of good will?

Good will without God is conditional good will.
I have no idea what you are getting at here. Surely Good with God, is conditional on God.

What do you think.
I think You know what I think.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Ginkgo wrote:
thedoc wrote:

Kant would disagree with that.
No he would not.
God plays very little part in what Kant says. But what he does say is that human have a conditional and subjective understanding of reality.
MMasz

Post by MMasz »

[quote="thedoc”]

Good will, or ethics, outside the dictates of God, are conditional or situational, only God can hand down absolute statements.[/quote]

I think you are correct about jackles' question in the first part. And yes, I would agree with that. As a Christian, I occasionally have to deal with “tolerant” atheists’ rants about some issue or another which usually turns out to be a straw man argument based on low/mis information.

The second part about good will is another issue we’re going to be discussing with my students in their philosophy class. Are there any “objective" ethics and if so, how many before social, cultural and personal systems limit them.