Book Review: The Bible Guide, Henry Wansbrough, OSB, SPCK

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

EllenStevens

Book Review: The Bible Guide, Henry Wansbrough, OSB, SPCK

Post by EllenStevens » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 am

As a student currently in the 2nd year of a Theology degree, I loved the simplicity of this book. I don't mind admitting that the subject matter I have to cover is huge and at times very daunting. This book, written by Henry Wansbrough OSB (http://www.henrywansbrough.com/abouth.shtml), Benedictine monk, based at Ampleforth, Yorkshire, is an essential reference for those of us who at times need the bible to be broken down into manageable bite-size chunks. The book illustrates the themes of both Old and New Testaments as well as summarising every chapter and then locating the themes in each and providing the reader with a maximum of 4 lines per theme, explanation.

Henry is Catholic, so it is assumed that the book has a Catholic worldview and I wish I had known about this book in the first year of my Theology degree. It would have been very helpful.

I now use it for Lectio and I am always dipping into it at all times for study. It has a great index to help you do this. What a clever man Henry is. Brilliant.