Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

MMasz
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by MMasz »

Greatest I am wrote:Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

People who believe in the barbaric human blood sacrifice of the Triune Jesus/God must believe that the greatest force ever to exist decided that humans, lowly creations whom we are told are infinitely inferior to God, are somehow more important than God’s own life and that he would give it up for believers.

That is like a slave master dying in place of his slave. A rather silly notion to me.

Jesus preached that we should develop a humble character with little self-pride.

How is placing your own life above Triune Jesus/God’s showing a humble character as you think that he would die for you? That is taking self-pride to the maximum.

I think that those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a so called son just to prove it's benevolence.

Yet Christians who think they are moral will believe that God would do such a despicable thing as having his son killed even as scriptures say that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and does not believe in asking or accepting a ransom.

Is thinking that to believe that God would die for you the epitome of an inflated ego?

If not, what could possibly inflate an ego more than that?

Regards
DL
Your entire post is a straw man, hopefully unintended, as you seem to lack an understanding of Christianity.
bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by bobevenson »

ot
Greatest I am wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:I think it also inflates the ego to think one has God's ear
Giving anthropomorphic qualities to God are you?
Nothing out of the ordinary there. Most religions have done just that.

Regards
DL
Not out of the ordinary, but quite stupid.
User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2658
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by Greatest I am »

bobevenson wrote: Not out of the ordinary, but quite stupid.
I do not think so and will tell you why when you tell us why you think it stupid.

Regards
DL
bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by bobevenson »

Greatest I am wrote:
bobevenson wrote: Not out of the ordinary, but quite stupid.
I do not think so and will tell you why when you tell us why you think it stupid.

Regards
DL
A long time ago, it was natural to give anthropomorphic qualities to God because people were ignorant of evolution, but today, people don't have that excuse, and must be deemed stupid.
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
bobevenson wrote: Not out of the ordinary, but quite stupid.
I do not think so and will tell you why when you tell us why you think it stupid.

Regards
DL
A long time ago, it was natural to give anthropomorphic qualities to God because people were ignorant of evolution, but today, people don't have that excuse, and must be deemed stupid.

What does evolution have to do with giving anthropomorphic qualities to God.
bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by bobevenson »

thedoc wrote:What does evolution have to do with giving anthropomorphic qualities to God.
Because years ago, people believed that Adam and Eve crap, and assumed we were made in the image of God.
User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2658
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by Greatest I am »

bobevenson wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
bobevenson wrote: Not out of the ordinary, but quite stupid.
I do not think so and will tell you why when you tell us why you think it stupid.

Regards
DL
A long time ago, it was natural to give anthropomorphic qualities to God because people were ignorant of evolution, but today, people don't have that excuse, and must be deemed stupid.
I do not agree and think that it is quite intelligent to anthropomorphise God.

God defined as man's highest ideal.

This guy says it right but then screws it up by showing that he himself is an idol worshipper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... kZg1ZflpJs

We are natural animals. Right?

The God, or highest ideal for an ant, is an ant.
The God, or highest ideal for a lion, is a lion.
The God, or highest ideal for a man, is a man.

That is why we should anthropomorphise God and likely why the ancients did.
They included men and women and most of the old Eastern Gods were androgynous.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2658
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by Greatest I am »

bobevenson wrote:
thedoc wrote:What does evolution have to do with giving anthropomorphic qualities to God.
Because years ago, people believed that Adam and Eve crap, and assumed we were made in the image of God.
Way too many, perhaps the majority of Christians, read the bible literally. At least in part. They have to to believe in Jesus.

Regards
DL
thedoc
Posts: 6473
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by thedoc »

bobevenson wrote:
thedoc wrote:What does evolution have to do with giving anthropomorphic qualities to God.
Because years ago, people believed that Adam and Eve crap, and assumed we were made in the image of God.
It has been said that, "God created everything, and evolution is how God created living things."
User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2658
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by Greatest I am »

thedoc wrote:
bobevenson wrote:
thedoc wrote:What does evolution have to do with giving anthropomorphic qualities to God.
Because years ago, people believed that Adam and Eve crap, and assumed we were made in the image of God.
It has been said that, "God created everything, and evolution is how God created living things."
Yes it has. We have been lying to ourselves and been lied to by religions for many years.

I think it should stop. Religions do not need lies.

Regards
DL
bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by bobevenson »

All forms of life, plant and animal are related, and fundamentally, there is nothing that differentiates mankind from any of them, so to give God human qualities must certainly qualify as the highest form of arrogance.
User avatar
Greatest I am
Posts: 2658
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by Greatest I am »

bobevenson wrote:All forms of life, plant and animal are related, and fundamentally, there is nothing that differentiates mankind from any of them, so to give God human qualities must certainly qualify as the highest form of arrogance.
God as defined by most religions, I agree.
God, as defined as our highest ideals, perhaps not.

There is one thing that differentiates mankind from any of the other types of life. Mankind.

Regards
DL
bobevenson
Posts: 7349
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?

Post by bobevenson »

Greatest I am wrote:
bobevenson wrote:All forms of life, plant and animal are related, and fundamentally, there is nothing that differentiates mankind from any of them, so to give God human qualities must certainly qualify as the highest form of arrogance.
God, as defined as our highest ideals, perhaps not.
Welcome to the Church of Ouzo, my friend.
Post Reply