Time , Particles and Consciousness.

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

socratus

Post by socratus »

=.
We have biological consciousness and
we have consciousness on the quantum level

What is connection between biological consciousness
and the consciousness on the quantum level ?

What is role of time in this connection between biological
consciousness and the consciousness on the quantum level ?

What is happened with time in this connection ?
What can happen with time in this connection ?
Can we speak about biological and quantum consciousness
without particles (cells and em waves) ?
The answer is 'no'.
Can we talk about time without particles?
a)
According to Newton the answer is
'yes, we can talk about time without particles'
b)
According to Einstein the answer is
'no, without particles we cannot talk about time'

Paradox or puzzle ?
Does biological consciousness exist only in time?
Does consciousness on the quantum level exist only in time?
!!??
===..
socratus
Bernard

Re: Time , Particles and Consciousness.

Post by Bernard »

Both a paradox and a puzzle: conscious things are the only source of consciousness, yet consciousness is the only source of living things. Time is what living things co-create in order to perpetuate and enhance consciousness; without time conscious things become undifferentiated AS consciousness. There is no outside of consciousness, only the duality of differentiated and undifferentiated consciousness. This does beg the question; are waves things?

The co-creation of time by conscious things is the most fundamental and defining characteristic of sentient beings.

All the above is another argument for the plausibility of individual consciousness of things we don't normally regard as living: the galaxies, stars, planets... the universe? This is not to say particles are conscious things, but suggests they are portions of, and therefore charged, with the consciousness of a sentient entity, or entities, thus they are subject to time.
socratus

Post by socratus »

Bernard wrote: without time conscious things become undifferentiated AS consciousness.
There is no outside of consciousness, only the duality
of differentiated and undifferentiated consciousness.
=.
. . . , only the duality of differentiated and undifferentiated
consciousness . . . . as duality of consciousness and unconsciousness.
=.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

No. There is no non-consciousness - only the displacement of consciousness makes it appear so, where low degrees of consciousness are placed in proximity to high ones - like black sunspots. The same goes for the collective unconscious.

Undifferentiated consciousness is unthinkable and only a source of confusion to rationality.

We think of air as being the most necessary of our physical needs, but in fact time is, because it is the most fundamental medium that keeps us, as quanta able to alter packages of time, separate.

What is the point of consciousness being dual? The basic nature of consciousness is to increase, to be more conscious. It does this by isolating itself into infinite differentiated quanta of itself: us, whilst still maintaining its infinite, undifferentiated nature. These quanta, by nature, have to increase as quanta, and as quantum. Increase over what?... the undifferentiated sea of consciousness they float in, which in turn has to increase over the differentiated quanta.

The infinite ballet, the inexhaustible symbiosis.
socratus

Post by socratus »

Comment by / 55Mercury /
=.

The Holy Trinity: Energy / Time / Life.
=.
biological consciousness cannot exist without time

I believe Newton is correct, that time can exist without particles
(necessary for biology)

though Einstein is also right in the context
that if there is nothing around to detect it (life) then what is it,
really?
a second would equal eternity, and eternity would equal a second

perhaps this is the pressing point of life's beginning?

I wonder how God was doing in that eternal second
before life evolved from time?

God equals the total energy of the universe.
Before matter there was only energy without time
( the eternal second).
When God transformed Itself in part to matter (the big bang?)
the stage was set for time and life to progress/evolve
(not but a second ago)

/ 55Mercury /

==.
It is saying strongly .
socratus
===.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Life had a beginning? No, life has beginnings and endings... beginnings and endings.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

“Space and time do not exist for magic man. Even for mythical man, space is non-existence, despite his awareness of self-contained, cycling seasonal time and its motion. Whereas mythical man lived from this inner movement, mental man thought by virtue of spatial, external actualities: everything for him became space, including time.
Modern thinking is perspectival in its essence, knowing only walls and selective, divided objects through conceptual schemes that must be grasped, like objects in space. Perspectival thinking spatializes, then employs what is has spatialized.
Possessed by space and matter, mental man spatialized and quantified everything, including time.
‘Time’ in our sense is an instrument we have created with which we are able to shape the three-dimensional perspectival world and permit it to become a reality.
The problem is that time, understood in its essence, is not comparable to spatial dimensions, extensions, quantities, masses, or economic units. In fact, time is not akin to any kind of ‘amount’ at all, and to conceive of it in this way is a deformation.
True time does not curve space; it is open and opens space through its capacity of rendering it transparent, and thereby supercedes nihilistic ‘emptiness’, re-attaining openness in an intensified consciousness structure.”

Jean Gebsner
NancySCare

Post by NancySCare »

I did a module in Anthropology and we covered a lot of ground in terms of how one can think about time as (predictably for anthropologists) a social/cultural construct. As humans, we have the ability to think about multiple kinds of times at once, we understand that across the atlantic people are existing at a different point in time, it might be night for them, while it is day time for us. We can easily accept these ideas of course.

However, my module in anthropology did make me think greatly about how we can consider the past/the future, for neither exist as concrete realities, they cannot be observed, or touched, but are of course the creation of our own understanding of a Western vision of linear time. Western science (/physics) obliges us to see time as a process, a straight line, an arrow directed towards the future. I believe we need to challenge the accepted hegemonies of science; whilst of course astrophysicists have spend decades discussing this topic, I think we need to put the person back into time, and not necessarily see our selves as existing in a separate, or detached way from it. For everything we do, and everything we are, exists within time.

I saw on Facebook that the Institute of Art & Ideas' have got a new video which brought up this kind of issues for me, and got me thinking about the topic of time once again after my anthropology module. It's called "Time's Arrow" so it's pretty relevant to this!! http://iai.tv/video/time-s-arrow
Toadny

Post by Toadny »

socratus wrote: We have biological consciousness and
we have consciousness on the quantum level.
First I've heard of this. What does "consciousness on the quantum level" mean?