Did anyone have an irrational fear as a child,or still do

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Did anyone have an irrational fear as a child,or still d

Post by thedoc »

"My dog doesn't have a nose."

"How does it smell?"

"Terrible."
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

thedoc wrote:"My dog doesn't have a nose."
"How does it smell?"
"Terrible."

DOC.. was that on purpose?

[the oldest joke in human history]

elucidate
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

"How does it smell?"

"Terrible."
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

i'm in INSULT mode as a response to a few hecklers.
Catagory 1.. hardly heclkling at all.. meer mild insult. [it goes to 10]
And at 5 several other skills come to play. the game you cannot win.

20 years on the net. when windows was DOS config.sys.. crap /loadhigh.. auto exec biatch

Noted.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The Voice of Time wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:
You know in Norwegian it's pretty hard to take the bogeyman seriously because he literally translates into "the nose pick man" ^^
hahaha that dispels my fears instantly, where were you when I needed you? to think I have suffered all these years.
a Norwegian wiki-article on the subject says that Bogey could also mean nose-pick in English ^^ but not finding it in translation this may either be misinformation or a lost use of the word, I dunno. Anyways, to hear people say "watch out or the nose-pick man will come and get you!" could hardly set many people very scared, it's rather kind-of a Monty Python/South Park like humor in it.
The article is right. A bogey is something you pick out of your nose. I could never understand the 'bogey man' thing. It made me feel sick. The 'snot man'. Yuk.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

It seems Norway has one too.

busemann in English

translation and definition "busemann", Dictionary Norwegian Bokmål-English online
add translationRecord your pronunciation "busemann"

Translations into English:

• bogeyman menacing, ghost-like monster in children's stories
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Hannibal Lector would be amused.

Though he was sloppy. issues.
eating the rude is very sloppy.
It put him in a cell.. very very sloppy.

hehe
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Hjarloprillar wrote:
"How does it smell?"
"Terrible."

DOC.. was that on purpose?

[the oldest joke in human history]

elucidate

No, actually it was all quite accidental, I accidentally turned on the computer, logged on here, and just happened to lean on the keyboard in just the right way. All really quite innocent and accidental.

I ment to enter this,

"Talking about cooking, Take my wife,"
-
"Please."
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

reasonvemotion wrote:It seems Norway has one too.

busemann in English

translation and definition "busemann", Dictionary Norwegian Bokmål-English online
add translationRecord your pronunciation "busemann"

Translations into English:

• bogeyman menacing, ghost-like monster in children's stories
buse = nose-pick ;)

the "-mann" ending means "man".

So = nose-pick-man :)

http://www.tritrans.net/cgibin/translat ... anslate%21
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:Can you remember, when you were a child, you were afraid of something, night time, a person, a dream. Maybe you still have that irrational fear?

All fear is irrational.
The rational way to deal with threats and problems is not to express fear but to carefully reasons ways to avoid those threats and problems.

"Fear is the mind-killer"

-Bene Gesserit saying

For me the big fear was simply THE DARKNESS.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Once I was working on the roof of my old house and suddenly had the strangest feeling, I imideately moved back toward the middle of the roof and realized that I had been inches away from the edge, and I was 3 floors up which would have been a nasty fall. I went back to work but with a safety line around my middle, not all fears are irrational, some are very well founded and should be delt with appropriately. False bravado does not cure fear, but presence of mind allows you to deal with it. .
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

thedoc wrote:Once I was working on the roof of my old house and suddenly had the strangest feeling, I imideately moved back toward the middle of the roof and realized that I had been inches away from the edge, and I was 3 floors up which would have been a nasty fall. I went back to work but with a safety line around my middle, not all fears are irrational, some are very well founded and should be delt with appropriately. False bravado does not cure fear, but presence of mind allows you to deal with it. .
I disagree- the fear is irrational. Threats and dangers are better deal with with reason not emotion.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

thedoc wrote:Once I was working on the roof of my old house and suddenly had the strangest feeling, I imideately moved back toward the middle of the roof and realized that I had been inches away from the edge, and I was 3 floors up which would have been a nasty fall. I went back to work but with a safety line around my middle, not all fears are irrational, some are very well founded and should be delt with appropriately. False bravado does not cure fear, but presence of mind allows you to deal with it. .

To understand sense of place, the geographic concept of space needs first to be defined. Geographic space is the space that encircles the planet or ones body, through which biological life moves. It is differentiated from "outer space" and "inner space" (inside the mind). One definition of place, proposed by Tuan, is that a place comes into existence when humans give meaning to a part of the larger, undifferentiated space. Any time a location is identified or given a name, it is separated from the undefined space that surrounds it. Some places, however, have been given stronger meanings, names or definitions by society than others. These are the places that are said to have a strong "Sense of Place."
Normandy. Vietnam. Waterloo. Golgotha. Mars. [98% of people asked to name another planet say MARS]

You found that place. where death waited.. instinct... not reason.. guided. You stepped back

luckily for us!! LOL
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

clowns
i react to them the way some people react to snakes or spiders

and a weird one

women in business suits - you know, kind of like the ones who look like the chief villain in 'the devil wears prada'

that is not so much a fear as a feeling that at any moment she will start yelling at me

this has to do with a teacher i had in elementary school - grade 2 i think - who was batshit insane

and wore powersuits to work

its not as bad as it used to be - i can successfully resist the urge to hide under the nearest piece of furniture and can generally act normal but it takes effort
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Many years ago I read a book, (I've actually read lots of books), 'The Hidden Dimention', the author explored the idea that different cultures and individuals had different 'Comfort Zones' around their physical bodies, and would be uncomfortable if someone got too close. I have felt that discomfort with people I do not know well, but have less problem with people I know well. In the book it described an encounter of two people with different dimentions and the one would try to get up close and the other was constantly backing away to maintain his own comfort zone, the dance was described as amusing to an observer. There are possibly many factors other than distance that determine a comfort zone for any one individual. I reciently encountered a little girl (with her mother) who was very shy with men and was hiding from me, but was less shy around women, according to her mother. A lot depends on the individual, their cultural background, and past experience.