In order to appreciate pleasure do you need to feel pain

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonemotion

In order to appreciate pleasure do you need to feel pain

Post by reasonemotion »

If we assume pain and pleasure are opposite and exist on a continuum, there must be some sort of neutral point between them. Things can be neither pain nor pleasure. The average of the possible experiences is neutral.
chaz wyman

Re: In order to appreciate pleasure do you need to feel pain

Post by chaz wyman »

No just the absence of pleasure, lets you know what pleasure is.
You can appreciate pain by not having any too, you don't need pleasure.

Pleasure and Pain are not necessarily opposite ends of the same spectrum.
Last edited by chaz wyman on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Instead of feeling pain or pleasure you can feel indifference or inertia.

Pleasure can be located in the brain. There was a rat who was given the chance to stimulate this spot and he went on and on until he died of exhaustion and dehydration. His instinct of self-preservation did not make him stop and drink and eat and sleep.

David Foster Wallace (God bless him for his honesty and well-intentionedness) mentioned this experiment in his novel "Infinite Jest" and also used it as a basis for the plot.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

chaz wyman wrote: You can appreciate pain by not having any too, you don't need pleasure.
I've imagined for a long time that numb people have a greater tendency for Physical Masochism in order to increase their "feel" of things. I too sometimes feel an appreciation of pain if I get numb enough.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

3 people agree.

How about pain that is pleasurable?

Try scratching that itch!
The Voice of Time

chaz wyman wrote:3 people agree.

A first question comes to my mind: is it the pain that is pleasurable? Or does it "cause", combined with other factors, pleasure through its own chain of events?

For instance: spanking usually hurts, right? In the old days used as punishment. But what about sexual arousal from spanking? I'd say it would be a factor among many to create a situation where the person can be sexually aroused, and then feel pleasure from the sex. But the spank itself wouldn't *be* the pleasure, although the person can be excited by it <insert wild joy from getting spanked>.

However, the second instance: what about people who take all those needles and stuff through their body and "like" it? Do they feel "pleasure"? Is it so then that pain, in a specific way at least, is the direct cause, or generally equal to, pleasure? Like tranquillizing but in that nice "pleasurable" way, you know?

Anybody see where I'm going?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

The Voice of Time wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:3 people agree.

A first question comes to my mind: is it the pain that is pleasurable? Or does it "cause", combined with other factors, pleasure through its own chain of events?

For instance: spanking usually hurts, right? In the old days used as punishment. But what about sexual arousal from spanking? I'd say it would be a factor among many to create a situation where the person can be sexually aroused, and then feel pleasure from the sex. But the spank itself wouldn't *be* the pleasure, although the person can be excited by it <insert wild joy from getting spanked>.

However, the second instance: what about people who take all those needles and stuff through their body and "like" it? Do they feel "pleasure"? Is it so then that pain, in a specific way at least, is the direct cause, or generally equal to, pleasure? Like tranquillizing but in that nice "pleasurable" way, you know?

Anybody see where I'm going?
Sure on the first case it can be explained by association. A sensation is just that until you get a context for it.
Lots of people love to fight - those that go out on a Friday night seeking trouble - they are little different than those that get a paddling and get aroused from it. Next time you are faced with one of these morons on a Friday night at the pub as they punch your face in, you can gat some pleasure from the fact that you know they are actually one of those guys that likes to get beaten up by their mistress.
There is rather a sad fact that little boys from boarding school whose only attention from an adult was to get beating, often end up as adults who like to be dominated by a mistress. - So mush for the British Public school system.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Please.

I was never in a boarding school for boys in England, but I was in three boarding schools in two countries, one of them co-ed. There were no corporal punishments at all and you got lots of attention from the teachers and supervisors. I could build my character in all three of them (two Catholic, one Protestant).
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:Please.

I was never in a boarding school for boys in England, but I was in three boarding schools in two countries, one of them co-ed. There were no corporal punishments at all and you got lots of attention from the teachers and supervisors. I could build my character in all three of them (two Catholic, one Protestant).
Do you still fantasise about the nuns?
Or does the chill you feel from the memory of the Priests' sexual interests still make you feel cold inside?
duszek

Post by duszek »

This was cheap, and I will not comment, I never studied psychology.

In works of literature the seduction of a priest by a woman also takes place from time to time.
"The Thorn Birds", a best-seller from Australia, for example, and "La dame aux camélias" by Alexandre Dumas.

It is cheap to pick one black sheep and to pretend that this is "normal".
Shall I make myself a picture of the "English sculpturer" according to my bad experience of you on this forum ?
And then apply it to any other English sculpturer I happen to come across ?
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

I agree duszak....what Chaz said was "cheap". And to think...he thinks he doesn't discriminate!
The Voice of Time

cheap and sheep.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

artisticsolution wrote:I agree duszak....what Chaz said was "cheap". And to think...he thinks he doesn't discriminate!
Stop stalking you little cow.
Pull that sense of humour out of your arse where you keep it

Oh - and look up the meaning of discrimination while you are about it.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:This was cheap, and I will not comment, I never studied psychology.

I will not comment??? :D :D :D Except that you can't resist to do so.

In works of literature the seduction of a priest by a woman also takes place from time to time.
"The Thorn Birds", a best-seller from Australia, for example, and "La dame aux camélias" by Alexandre Dumas.

It is cheap to pick one black sheep and to pretend that this is "normal".
Shall I make myself a picture of the "English sculpturer" according to my bad experience of you on this forum ?
And then apply it to any other English sculpturer I happen to come across ?

Sure - but only if it is funny!

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

The Voice of Time wrote:cheap and sheep.
Joke: What do you call a sheep tied to a post in Wales?

Answer: A Leisure Centre