Free Will Mix

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: Free Will Mix

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

ughaibu wrote:2) if determinism is true, then at time zero there is a fact about which option I will enact at time three
chaz wyman wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:Not unless all the causative factors are know.
Determinism is a metaphysical thesis, so, facts about the future exist, in a determined world, whether they are known or not.

Non Sequitur of the week.

I'm not going to address the rest of your post as it's quite clear from your first remark that you still have no idea of what determinism consists.

Running away from the truth.

If you hope to have your claims about determinism taken seriously, you need to demonstrate that you understand what you're talking about.
Compatibilism is the truth, as determinism and physics are bound, while free will (the mind) (psychology) and physics are not. There is not necessarily a blanket of determinism for everything born of a minds free will. Knowledge and desire are factors in asserting untainted free will. Free will potential increases with knowledge, as long as a mind understands and desires the particular change that free will can afford.
ughaibu

Post by ughaibu »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:Compatibilism is the truth, as determinism and physics are bound. . .
As physics is a science, and thus makes no truth claims, your argument fails.
SpheresOfBalance

ughaibu wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:Compatibilism is the truth, as determinism and physics are bound. . .
The laws of physics are indeed truths.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Until they are revised, then the new laws are truth and the old ones are not.
SecularCauses

Post by SecularCauses »

chaz wyman wrote:
The laws of physics are never "truths." The entire body of science consists of statements that have yet to be proven false. Every scientist knows this. Experiments are designed to prove a caim false, never true.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SecularCauses wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
The laws of physics are never "truths." The entire body of science consists of statements that have yet to be proven false. Every scientist knows this. Experiments are designed to prove a caim false, never true.
That would depend on how you define truth.
If you think that truth is absolute, then you are deluded.
Thus truth must be revisable.
In normal language people say it is true that the earth goes round the sun, they once said that it was true that the sun went round the earth. All knowledge is of this sort and thus so must 'truth' as this is a human concept which is a marker to distinguish that which is false.
QED: you have added nothing to the discussion except to reveal the paucity of your understanding of language.
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
ughaibu wrote:As physics is a science, and thus makes no truth claims, your argument fails.
OK but this assumes that none are not revisable, it is these of which I speak. One also has to consider that they my change due to any particular/set of constituents they are comprised of, that change. This then, as far as I see it, is an indicator that insufficient language was used to delineate the law in the first place, as surely a time marker should be stipulated, as it would seem the universe is in a state of constant flux.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: The laws of physics are indeed truths.
OK but this assumes that none are not revisable, it is these of which I speak. One also has to consider that they my change due to any particular/set of constituents they are comprised of, that change. This then, as far as I see it, is an indicator that insufficient language was used to delineate the law in the first place, as surely a time marker should be stipulated, as it would seem the universe is in a state of constant flux.
Sorry no. You are making a mistake.
You say; "The laws of physics are indeed truths", yet those laws change all the time.
It is thought that that nature which underlies those laws is unchanging, according to the theory of uniformitarianism, to which I agree. But the laws have changed since men have studied nature, and will change again.
Thus from your own words; truth changes.
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote:The laws of physics are indeed truths.
chaz wyman wrote:Until they are revised, then the new laws are truth and the old ones are not.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:OK but this assumes that none are not revisable, it is these of which I speak. One also has to consider that they my change due to any particular/set of constituents they are comprised of, that change. This then, as far as I see it, is an indicator that insufficient language was used to delineate the law in the first place, as surely a time marker should be stipulated, as it would seem the universe is in a state of constant flux.
chaz wyman wrote:Sorry no. You are making a mistake.
You say; "The laws of physics are indeed truths", yet those laws change all the time.
It is thought that that nature which underlies those laws is unchanging, according to the theory of uniformitarianism, to which I agree. But the laws have changed since men have studied nature, and will change again.
We obviously see things differently. I see that "laws" are those unchanging truths in nature, and only see mans feeble attempt at formulating language to approximate those laws as changing. The thing in and of itself is the law, not mans words.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:Until they are revised, then the new laws are truth and the old ones are not.
SpheresOfBalance wrote:OK but this assumes that none are not revisable, it is these of which I speak. One also has to consider that they my change due to any particular/set of constituents they are comprised of, that change. This then, as far as I see it, is an indicator that insufficient language was used to delineate the law in the first place, as surely a time marker should be stipulated, as it would seem the universe is in a state of constant flux.
We obviously see things differently. I see that "laws" are those unchanging truths in nature, and only see mans feeble attempt at formulating language to approximate those laws as changing. The thing in and of itself is the law, not mans words.
But that means you cannot know any laws.
It can only make sense that the 'linguistic approximations' are that upon which we rely and are codified in texts.
Kant was right. We can never know the thing-in-itself.
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
But that means you cannot know any laws.
It can only make sense that the 'linguistic approximations' are that upon which we rely and are codified in texts.
Kant was right. We can never know the thing-in-itself.
I disagree. But you already know this, you and I have danced this tango before. Kant was wrong on this point. How could he say this and yet speak of time as if he knew, or anything else pertaining to the universe for that matter, a contradiction I think. I see that the problem is not, in the knowing of the thing-in-itself, but knowing when, if and how much one knows the thing-in-itself. One can know without knowing they know, and vice versa.

Sir Richard F Burton wrote:

'Men are four.
He who knows not, and knows not he knows not;
He who knows not, and knows he knows not;
He who knows and knows not he knows;
He who knows and knows he knows.'

I would add that in all truth the largest percentage of mankind falls in the first two categories, and that the wise fall into the latter of those two. Categories three and four certainly do not pertain to all the knowledge any particular man would have, rather just bits and pieces. And I have a hard time believing that any man actually falls into the last category, because I don't necessarily believe that any man can receive confirmation from the universe, which I see as a requirement for him knowing he knows.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: I disagree. But you already know this, you and I have danced this tango before. Kant was wrong on this point. .
Even you have to filter your experience via the senses.
QED Kant was right.

Please refer to the answer I made some moments ago.
SpheresOfBalance

chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote: I disagree. But you already know this, you and I have danced this tango before. Kant was wrong on this point. .
QED Kant was right.

With the influence of those filters you and Kant suffer, I'm surprised that you believe his ideas are necessarily 'right,' such that you assert his belief, with such conviction.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:
QED Kant was right.

With the influence of those filters you and Kant suffer, I'm surprised that you believe his ideas are necessarily 'right,' such that you assert his belief, with such conviction.
All ideas are the result of our human filters - that is the point.
Our disagreement makes this evident.
Kant was right.
SpheresOfBalance

SpheresOfBalance wrote:I disagree. But you already know this, you and I have danced this tango before. Kant was wrong on this point. .
chaz wyman wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:Even you have to filter your experience via the senses.
QED Kant was right.

All ideas are the result of our human filters - that is the point.
Our disagreement makes this evident.
Kant was right.
I like how only you and Kant get to decide how, whom and to what extent any particular entities senses cloud the truth of any particular perception. It seems like a pretty omnipotent podium you've placed yourself upon. There is no way you can definitely know of my abilities at perception, nor I yours. We take it on 'faith' that we share the same abilities. Just as well as the senses may inhibit the understanding, they may also inhibit the not understanding, of any particular individual.