Falling in love at first sight

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonemotion

Falling in love at first sight

Post by reasonemotion »

Falling in love at first sight, some of us have experienced this phenomena. I believe it is due to an over developed function, ie. sensing, thinking, intuiting and feeling. In this case, it would be feeling. Feeling, like thinking, is a matter of evaluating information, this time by weighing one's overall, emotional response. If feeling was our superior function, then we would be more susceptible to falling in love at "first sight".

We all have these functions, of course. We just have them in different proportions, you might say. Each of us has a superior function, which we prefer and which is best developed in us, a secondary function, which we are aware of and use in support of our superior function, a tertiary function, which is only slightly less developed but not terribly conscious, and an inferior function, which is poorly developed and so unconscious that we might deny its existence in ourselves.

I think it would be less likely for a person who operates mainly on thinking and sensing to fall in love at first sight.
Arising_uk

Re: Falling in love at first sight

Post by Arising_uk »

And the applied ethical issue is?
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

Of course, on reflection the post would have been more suited to Philosophy of Mind.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Information is never complete though.
New information can present itself and you fall out of love just as fast. :mrgreen:

Or did you mean "falling in eternal love" ?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Some beverages can make us more susceptible to falling in love, not just with people but also with landscapes, weather, tunes and other things.

White (sort of green) tea has this effect on me.
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

A tree grows for some years, bears fruit for several years and goes dry. The human being is an organism that develops different parts of its being, feels a partial, powerful attraction at some time, gets it or fails to get it, and lives the rest of its life waiting for dissolution. When one part opens in youth and its imagination is captured by another person, it pines for it forever. It does not learn to forget it. When all parts in a man simultaneously open up and are caught up in a MOMENT that is irresistible, he is in love. He either gets it or loses himself. There is no gainsaying it. It is not in him to turn from the course or retract. Retraction is like making a river flow backwards. It becomes ROMANCE eternal when he who opens up fully in all his parts meets with another of similar disposition. Shakespeare called it 'love at first sight'. To be in love is to be blessed. It is not to be considered in the social context of welfare or well being. Success in love is fulfilment of that emotion. The plant of Man grew up to that point for that fulfilment. Beyond that, he bides his time waiting for the final departure.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Does it have to be "sight" ?

a. Would a photograph be enough or is a sight in time and space necessary ?

b. Emotions are conveyed by sounds, personality is strongly expressed by the voice.
Some people are more auditive than others. Would they fall in love at first sound ?
(There are other senses too but I leave it at the two for the time being.)

c. Does this "first sight" mean something like "a general combined impression as gained by all five senses" ?
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

You know, I am so out of love, it is not funny!!!!!!! ha ha ha
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

I think people know their ideals and anchor their hormonal response-system to people who they want to have a strong sense about. With a strong sense I mean like, a powerful experience through amplified senses. People don't like to experience people bad in relativeness to them, so they open their hearts to people who feels good for some subconscious or similar reason. Love at first sight is just an instant-recognition of a persons possible quality of feeling good to you. The recognition may be biased but of course it can also, though I would think with some effort, be genuine.

But at first meeting is the only thing I've experienced, I've not been able to recognize good qualities just by looking at people, though I don't really have much ideals about people's looks, it usually holds that they are interesting, so I sometimes end up feeling like a scientist who has fallen in love with his experiment... i know it sounds awful, but hey, boring people are boring people.
duszek

Post by duszek »

To me a person´s looks do not tell me much about this person. The body language, the movements and glances, say a lot more. But the voice tells me a whole lot. I can hear meanness right away. The whole personality and a person´s history of life express themselves in a person´s voice.
Yes, you are sometimes tired or annoyed and sometimes cheerful. I take this into consideration. But you are not mean on Monday and the opposite of mean on Tuesday, this character trait does not change so quickly. And the voice expresses it. Whereas the looks don´t. You can dress carefully or more leisurely. The colours do not tell me a great deal either.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

I can still recall the jolt when our eyes met - was this my only love at first sight, so many years ago? Perhaps. Friendship - most definitely. What should I value more?
The Voice of Time wrote: People don't like to experience people bad in relativeness to them, so they open their hearts to people who feels good for some subconscious or similar reason.
Yes, I can agree with that, as in social situations I try to avoid people who make me feel uncomfortable and try to gravitate towards people who may share my ideals and friendships, or occasionally more, can develop.
The Voice of Time wrote:I don't really have much ideals about people's looks, it usually holds that they are interesting
Meeting someone can develop from what may be initially suspected to be a purely physical attraction, if we are lucky lol, to intellectual interest/admiration, desire and perhaps even love. Most of this I have known but not love. If it all happens at the first meeting, is it love at first sight?
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Lynn wrote:Meeting someone can develop from what may be initially suspected to be a purely physical attraction, if we are lucky lol, to intellectual interest/admiration, desire and perhaps even love. Most of this I have known but not love. If it all happens at the first meeting, is it love at first sight?
I find it difficult to say. Because, let's say that at first sight you recognized that the person was in a way that you know, consciously or subconsciously, that you can penetrate with your jokes, humour, smiles, presence, looks, intellect etc. So, at first sight you prepare your body for admitting this person into your life, but the person isn't admitted before you for instance start talking and sharing thoughts etc. Things doesn't come at first sight, but at first sight things develop.

However, you might not notice a person before the person starts talking to you and you suddenly "discover" the person. There's no sight to be talked about, just a suddenness and you become unprepared drawn into another person's life. At first you might think: what a strange girl/boy? At second though however: what an interesting girl/boy! At third thought your heart beat raises but only slightly enough to mean something without you noticing that it happened because it was so small, and then you start getting more colour in your face and you laugh and have fun and all that stuff.

So, not automatically, if we are to be logical here, but sometimes you could say that first sight gave in for the first meeting ;)
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

The Voice of Time wrote:However, you might not notice a person before the person starts talking to you and you suddenly "discover" the person. There's no sight to be talked about, just a suddenness and you become unprepared drawn into another person's life. At first you might think: what a strange girl/boy? At second though however: what an interesting girl/boy! At third thought your heart beat raises but only slightly enough to mean something without you noticing that it happened because it was so small, and then you start getting more colour in your face and you laugh and have fun and all that stuff.
:oops: I am so busted :lol:
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

I am so busted

Are you into The Voice of Time? maybe lovers. :shock: Oh my!
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

With no intention to offend as I can understand why you ask but it was another time, another place, another 'strange boy' :)

The Voice of Time was just spot on with the scenario, which has always puzzled me :|