Question about philosophy, religion & science

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

zimmer80203`

Question about philosophy, religion & science

Post by zimmer80203` »

Other than not agreeing, what can philosophy, science and religion mutually agree upon? Can the three of the reach a common conscensus?
duszek

Re: Question about philosophy, religion & science

Post by duszek »

The principle of non-contradiction.
Metazoan

Post by Metazoan »

That only they have the right answer?
zinnat13

Post by zinnat13 »

Hi friends,

duszek said-The principle of non-contradiction.

I do not know that in which sense duszek wrote this, but, i am agree with its literal meaning.

IMHO, there is no conflict between them.

I sincerely feel that all these three are based on very old and time tested methodology of trial and error, and thus, empiricism.

I also feel that the approach of science is right as it is ready to amend its past notions, if they are proved wrong. Religions are more rigid in their ideology. This notion is applicable to theists and atheists as well. Philosophy is neither here not there and looks confused; especially in the last decade. That's why that the people like Hawkins make a joke of it, even though they use it.

But, let us remember that philosophy is the mother of all knowledge as both religions and science are its verticals, thus, philosophy has to redefine its role and goal also, if it is serious about regain its lost position.

with love,
sanjay
zimmer80203`

Post by zimmer80203` »

I will revise my original question. Are there any findings found via science, religion and philosophy in agreement? The findings of all three are obtained differently and usually do no mutually agree upon anything. Thus I was wondering of all three have mutually agreeed upon some finding or discovery.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

The Earth is not the center of the universe?
zimmer80203`

Post by zimmer80203` »

Surely the goal of any investigation is to have science, religion and philiosphy mutually agree upon their findings. Likewise, it is wise if all three are viewed equally with the same respect.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

Arising_uk wrote:The Earth is not the center of the universe?
Maybe now religion agrees with this, but only after many hundreds of years of tomfoolery. Maybe in another few hundred years they will agree with evolution, the big bang theory and others. But that's only if their god whispers in the popes ear again, and says,"hey you know in the bible where I said "Insert biblical fallacy here"? I was just pulling your leg, but only because I thought you couldn't handle the knowledge."
zimmer80203`

Post by zimmer80203` »

When I talk about "religion", I am not talking about organized religion but rather religion in its purist form. Some call that form "spiritual" because it is free of dogma, superstition and rituals. Keeping that in mind, does science, religion and philosophy mutually agree that consciousness creates matter?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dimebag wrote:Maybe now religion agrees with this, but only after many hundreds of years of tomfoolery. Maybe in another few hundred years they will agree with evolution, the big bang theory and others. But that's only if their god whispers in the popes ear again, and says,"hey you know in the bible where I said "Insert biblical fallacy here"? I was just pulling your leg, but only because I thought you couldn't handle the knowledge."
But the Catholic Church does accept the Theory of Evolution? Its pretty much only the American end-timers who reject it.

The problem for the Catholic Church is that when the Earth became not the apple of 'god/s' eye they made Man the apple as they needed to re-ground their ethics, now they have to find another way and its pretty tricky to do so.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

zimmer80203` wrote:Other than not agreeing, what can philosophy, science and religion mutually agree upon? Can the three of the reach a common conscensus?
Not that we exist. But that the 'i am' exists...

But that is bullshit because it appears to me that philosophy will never agree upon anything.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

zimmer80203` wrote:Other than not agreeing, what can philosophy, science and religion mutually agree upon? Can the three of the reach a common conscensus?
They are simply not looking at the world in compatible ways.
Religion has no interest in truth.
Science is an attempt to understand the world.
Religion is an attempt to create a false internal world for social control.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

zimmer80203` wrote:I will revise my original question. Are there any findings found via science, religion and philosophy in agreement? The findings of all three are obtained differently and usually do no mutually agree upon anything. Thus I was wondering of all three have mutually agreeed upon some finding or discovery.
This is an empty question. Religion is not in the business of ' findings'.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

zimmer80203` wrote:Surely the goal of any investigation is to have science, religion and philiosphy mutually agree upon their findings. Likewise, it is wise if all three are viewed equally with the same respect.
How is this possible. They are not even asking the same questions.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Dimebag wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:The Earth is not the center of the universe?
Maybe now religion agrees with this, but only after many hundreds of years of tomfoolery. Maybe in another few hundred years they will agree with evolution, the big bang theory and others. But that's only if their god whispers in the popes ear again, and says,"hey you know in the bible where I said "Insert biblical fallacy here"? I was just pulling your leg, but only because I thought you couldn't handle the knowledge."
The Catholic Church already does accept evolution.
Despite that, they have not bothered to revise their book!!!!
This is why science and religion will never be compatible.