My theory of personality types

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chasw

Re: My theory of personality types

Post by chasw »

Interesting work, Kimani. There are many theories of personality, however, none are conclusive. My favorite model is that underlying Graphoanalysis and Scientific Graphology.

A deeper question asks - what is the relationship of philosophy to psychology, e.g., what philosophical assumptions underlie your theory of personality? Why do our minds organize themselves along the lines you have described? - CW
Kimani

Post by Kimani »

chasw wrote: Why do our minds organize themselves along the lines you have described? - CW
I think my theory shows that archetypes are more prominent within someone when they have a disorder. It's like there is this whole realm of the unconscious mind that exists within someone with a disorder that just isn't there for people without disorders. It's as if the archetypes come to the surface within those types whereas otherwise they would be less defined and more random.
Kimani

Post by Kimani »

I have added new content to my summary section.

http://kimanishorter.tripod.com/id1.html
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

OP your archetypes are overly simplifyed, prejudistic, and outdated, it was specially evident that classical archetypes was useless when 9/11 happend, as CIA and FBI's archtypes didn't match the terrorists and bombers that assaulted USA.
So in essence archetypes are dead, in modern profiling it usually only used simplifyed descriptions and invidual lables such as "sociopath", "intelligent", "social/non social", etc.

Remember that wise old men can have a dualistic nature as in Jekyll and Hyde Syndrome, can posess both good and evil nature, be both ignorent and intelligent in various areas.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Kimani wrote:Hello, My name is Kimani Shorter and I'm promoting my theory of personality types. This is a summary of my theory and the three types I came up with. It reconfigures some of Carl Jung's archetypes and some of the types found on the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) into something new.

The Triad Quantum

Math can be used to understand the human condition. Metaphysics and modern psychology are explored using a formula. This formula transcends those beliefs.

Archetypes are primal symbols of people. These same archetypes are building blocks in determining personalities. Many individual archetypes are found in people at the same time / over a lifetime. These archetypes separately show fragments of people's unconscious minds. These archetypes combined display a large part or portion of the unconscious mind. When organized into groups of two they spell out psychological conditions. What seems random at first becomes very familiar when placed in a different context.

There are six archetypes in this equation. Each archetype represents a distinctive trait. The Child relies upon others. The Hero is troubled. The Mother is empathetic and comforting. The Shadow is a symbol of apathy. The Trickster lacks morals and standards. The Wise Old Man is insightful.

The six archetypes are divided into three sets. There are two archetypes in each set. The combination of the two archetypes in each set results in a model for psychological conditions. What makes people unique and special is determined by what archetypes are found in them the most.

My theory believes that certain specific archetypes can be applied to the disorder or condition that you have. I've taken six of Carl Jung's archetypes and paired each two of them together. The two archetypes are then matched to several disorders because of their equivalency. The end result is three distinct types. Each type is defined by two archetypes.

The insightful nature of the Wise Old Man archetype and the troubled nature of the Hero archetype are equivalent to the brilliant but withdrawn nature of people with Asperger's and Bipolar Disorder.

The devoted nature of the Mother archetype and the vulnerable nature of the Child archetype are equivalent to the nurturing dependent nature of people with Codepenency Personality Disorder, Dependent Personality Disorder and Avoidant Personality Disorder. The apathetic nature of the Shadow archetype and the sneaky nature of the The Trickster archetype are equivalent to the apathetic manipulative nature of people with Narcissistic Personality disorder, Borderline personality disorder, Histrionic personality disorder and Sociopathy.

There are eleven psychological conditions / types used in this concept. They are Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar 1, Bipolar 2, Cyclothymia, Avoidant, Codependency, Dependent, Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissism, and Soctiopathy. The similar elements of these conditions unify them. They form an entity. These entities are used to define an individual. A person will gravitate towards one of these three entities much more than any of the others. Three characters are used to symbolize humanity. Society is divided into three essential segments.

Artistry Professionalism Opportunism

The Designer The Professional The Charmer

The Designer

Archetypes:
The Hero - troubled
The Wise Old Man - profound
Tendencies: withdrawn, creative / insightful
Dominant Capabilities: composing, equating, calculating
Conditions: Asperger's Syndrome, Bipolar Spectrum

The Professional

Archetypes:
The Child - dependency, vulnerable
The Mother - nurturing, devoted
Tendencies: generosity, dedication, sacrifice, humility
Dominant Capabilities: consoling, comforting, compromising
Conditions: Avoidant, Codependency, Dependent

The Charmer

Archetypes:
The Shadow - apathy
The Trickster - devious, sneaky
Tendencies: impulsive, manipulative, hateful
Dominant Capabilities: enticing, seducing, tempting, exploiting
Conditions: Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissism, Sociopathy
Kimani,

The explanatory part of this OP made little sense to me, probably because I've not studied the extensive psychology material referenced therein. Plus, lots of concepts stuffed into a few words w/o elaboration. However, your concluding material was interesting. Here's why.

A conversation on the "Pure Consciousness" thread got me thinking about the origin of human personality. From the outside it appears to be too complex to be explained simply in terms of DNA coding, but looking at it more from the inside, as you seem to be doing, provides a different perspective.

Complex computer programs are written not as contiguous strings of code, but as shorter segments of code commonly known as "subroutines." Each of these is engineered to perform a particular function in a predetermined way, and is fairly rigid in the way it operates. However, a complete program consists of many subroutines, each executed under the control of a separate command center. (Which may engage sub-command centers.) The execution of different subroutines at different times, under various circumstances, and in flexible sequences, produces a program that, from the outside, appears to be extremely complex. What if your ideas applied to human personality in an analogous manner?

Suppose that DNA strands encode for personality in snippets, just like software subroutines? Perhaps you've identified and categorized the characteristics of some of these personality-code snippets, which when combined with a dozen or so other snippets, comprise a complete personality that appears to be complex, but is merely an amalgam of simple components.

If so, you have the potential to make a significant breakthrough in psychology, perhaps enough to make a credible science out of it. Assemble your concepts systematically and put them into a book.

Also, please remove the pretentious word "quantum" from your vocabulary. You have not studied enough physics, do not know what the word means in the context of physics. Besides, quantum physics does not apply to your ideas. Likewise you can put your excellent ideas to work without math, so forget about claims in that direction.

There is a saying that goes like, "Apply your best skills to the problem, but first obtain those skills." Do you have a Ph.D in advanced mathematics and group theory? If so you'll be tempted to apply it. If not, don't even use the word "math."

If your math claims are aimed toward the completion of a doctoral thesis, any math that you want to wrap around your ideas should be saved for that thesis and used to confuse and dumbfound the psychology perfessers in your examination committee.

If you can apply math to the problem, don't. At least, not right off the bat. You don't need a 50-cal machine gun to terminate the squirrel in your attic, besides which, it would annoy the neighbors. Your thesis can be developed with systematic and careful study.

Do you know the Periodic Table of the Elements? If not, study it. This simple table proved essential to the understanding of chemistry. Seems to me that you have the ability to create a similar table for human personality. Doing so will revolutionize psychology, and it's about time.

Your characteristic list for "The Charmer" describes B. Obama better than anything I've seen. Nice work!

Greylorn
Kimani

Post by Kimani »

Thanks for the positive feedback Greylorn.

I have made updates to my project. I have added three new archetypes and 30 new questions that adress the new archetypes. My project contact a child psychiatrist pushed me to add to the theory. He felt it needed more. He also helped me with some of the questions. I also used the book Asking Questions: The Definitive Guide to Questionnaire Design to help with the new questions.

https://secure.obsurvey.com/S2.aspx?id= ... 09c2733d3d

http://kimanishorter.tripod.com
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

According to Myers Briggs I am INTJ

According to your testing I am The Designer.

They are similar, so I guess there is some accuracy to it.

Interesting.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

A step in the wrong direction, if you ask me. Life is not just a sitcom, people should not be encouraged to limit themselves into silly little zodiac sections.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

A step in the wrong direction, if you ask me. Life is not just a sitcom, people should not be encouraged to limit themselves into silly little zodiac sections.
Indeed. Then perhaps explain why you choose to divulge your psychological type in your Blog, totally unnecessary I would think, yet obviously you seem to think it carries some weight.

My last response to you.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

Kimani wrote:Thanks for the positive feedback Greylorn.

I have made updates to my project. I have added three new archetypes and 30 new questions that adress the new archetypes. My project contact a child psychiatrist pushed me to add to the theory. He felt it needed more. He also helped me with some of the questions. I also used the book Asking Questions: The Definitive Guide to Questionnaire Design to help with the new questions.

https://secure.obsurvey.com/S2.aspx?id= ... 09c2733d3d

http://kimanishorter.tripod.com
Kimani,

You have the right attitude. The ability to accept criticism is essential to every innovative thinker.

C=ep is a simple formula, where C represents criticism, "e" is the number of distinct elements in your theory, and p is the number of perfessers with a vested interest in failed theories contrary to yours.

Plan on spending a decade putting flesh on your theoretical bones. That may seem like a long time, and I'm pretty certain that had someone told me something like that when I began developing my ideas, I'd have laughed. Had I believed him, I'd have quit the project entirely and never put in the half-century needed.

So, do not believe me, at least not in that respect. Get to work. Good luck!

BTW I gather that English is not your native language. What is?

Grerlorn
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The 'Myers Briggs' = the trendy equivalent of 'star signs'. Pure bunk of course.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

reasonvemotion wrote:
Indeed. Then perhaps explain why you choose to divulge your psychological type in your Blog, totally unnecessary I would think, yet obviously you seem to think it carries some weight.

My last response to you.
I don't have a blog. Based on one of your latest posts, I see that you have a brain. Now use it.

I never believed in the Myers briggs personality system, or similar systems, not ever, except for a little while many years ago because I was taught to by "professors" and because everyone else was doing it, motivated by fear mostly. Then I realized how stupid it was.
Kimani

Post by Kimani »

reasonvemotion wrote:According to Myers Briggs I am INTJ

Interesting.

Designer:INTP, INTJ, INFP, INFJ
Professional: ISFJ, ESFJ, ISFP
Charmer: ENTP, ESTP, ENTJ, ENFP, ESFP
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Kimani wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:According to Myers Briggs I am INTJ

Interesting.

Designer:INTP, INTJ, INFP, INFJ
Professional: ISFJ, ESFJ, ISFP
Charmer: ENTP, ESTP, ENTJ, ENFP, ESFP
Pseudoscience.
Kimani

Post by Kimani »

I'm going to have to submit a proposal to DCPS so their board/ committee can approve my work as far as data collecting and research.

http://dcps.dc.gov/sites/default/files/ ... Data_0.pdf

Through my contacts I found a professor at Howard U who would be willing to give my survey to her students for field testing but she just said she needs an IRB (Institutional Review Board) to approve of it first or something similar to an IRB.