Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by thedoc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:31 am

Darkstar wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm
Some people believe that the brain acts like a radio receiver - that consciousness is a 'field' - an external and eternally existing source available for reception by plants and animals provided your 'radio set' is good enough and tuned in.
If my brain is a radio receiver why can't I pick up my favorite radio station, or is that why certain songs get stuck in my head when I don't want it to.
Last edited by thedoc on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

thedoc

Post by thedoc » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 am

Darkstar wrote:
Now that women are opting more and more for C-section births, the brain does not have to go through the birth canal. Maybe we will evolve into large brained creatures that can only be born by C-section and our consciousness will be further enhanced. We will then see the mind of God (or just boring old loop quantum gravity).
Are women really opting for more C-Sections, or are doctors recommending it, Or is this just a figment of your over active imagination. Where are the statistics to back up your statement

Walker

Post by Walker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:10 pm

thedoc wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:31 am
Darkstar wrote:
Some people believe that the brain acts like a radio receiver - that consciousness is a 'field' - an external and eternally existing source available for reception by plants and animals provided your 'radio set' is good enough and tuned in.
If my brain is a radio receiver why can't I pick up my favorite radio station, or is that why certain songs get stuck in my head when I don't want it to.
Ear worms, from the German.